Cheapest HTPC possible?
Currently using a WDTV streaming content from network shares, which was a perfect solution until I needed to play Hi10P h.264.

Since, as far as I'm aware, there is no WDTV-like media streaming box that supports 10-bit encodes, I figured I would look into building a HTPC.
But I have a budget of just £50.

So my question is, is it possible to build a HTPC that will play anything I throw at it for £50?
I'm guessing probably not, but figured it was at least worth asking.

All I need is a machine that can play the files and output them over HDMI, doesn't need HDD space or anything extra.
Quick answer is no. Especially the Hi10P requirement. There is no hardware decoding for Hi10P at this time and that means you need a powerful processor to decode it.

So unless you already have an HTPC and would just need to upgrade the processor, there is no way to do what you want for that price.
Double your budget and it should be possible.

From my own experience, I would go with a Celeron G540 or equivalent/higher.
Woah 10 bit? Yea that makes life extremely difficult. I would reconvert and get a Raspberry Pi if budget was that big a deal, otherwise your looking at a good bit more as you'll probably need to build your own device with a powerful(ish) cpu.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheapest HTPC possible?0