Run mythtv on virtual machine on osx?
Hi
I have been experiencing a lot of problems with mythtv backend for my new mac mini - and it seems that I have to compile my self to overcome the problems (a friend of mine that knows just about everything about computers has tested my setup and the exceptions that happens) and I think I will try a different road instead!

Would it be possible to connect the mythtv-pvr client in xbmc with a backend (will try mythtv via mythbuntu) running inside a virtural machine - running on osx?
It is possible but when I tried ( a Linux VM on a Linux machine) but I couldn't get any USB tuners to work..
Why not run the OSX port of MythTV? I have the 0.25 backend running on my 2006 era Mac Pro and it serves TV from an HD Homerun Prime and a Verizon FIOS cablecard very nicely.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_on_Mac_OS_X

So far, the only issues I have are slow channel changes (~4-5 seconds) and some usability issues on the MythTV Setup app which seem to be fixed in 0.26.
Mythbackend doesn't run well in a VM due to it's heavy hardware interaction with the real (non virtual) tuner cards. However it can be acceptable if using a network based tuner like an HDHR. To answer your actual question, it makes no difference to a client if the mythbackend is running virtualised.

If you are having trouble with mythtv, go to the mythtv-users mailing list, there is a wealth of clever knowledgeable people there Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Running great here in Virtualbox on a Windows server. I am using HDHomerun tuners, not sure about non network tuners.
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
Yep HDHR should be fine. For more info search the archives of mythtv-users. http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/

There have been extensive discussions.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Run mythtv on virtual machine on osx?0