"Cannot connect to remote server" no matter what scraper i use...
(2013-07-15, 19:17)MilhouseVH Wrote: On Windows, install PuTTY and connect to your Pi using SSH. For Raspbmc I think the login username/password is pi/raspberry.
I had to install raspbmc from scratch today and I came across this message "unable to connect to remote server". I also took some time to google for it and it was last seen in March and was at that time considered a problem with the site thetvdb.com (http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewto...1&p=312580).

Does anybody know if this is happening again, this time with tmdb? Could it be that this problem is related to the latest update of raspbmc?

As I said, I had to install raspbmc on my Pi today from scratch. Before that my library was ok. So now I wonder: is this just happening now or is it related to the latest update as the installer probably just installed the latest update.

Is there a workaround? I mean: would it be possible to just ignore the message and continue scanning? As if I would click "yes" to quit the message and continue scanning? I realized that after a few manual update tries the scraper eventually succeeds but of course I can't sit for hours in front of the TV and quitting the message every time.

So a script might be required to just:
- override the message and continue scanning
- not skip the movie but keep on trying
- maybe with the feature to skip after a number of tries that the user can choose

btw.... my raspbmc says: pi@raspbmc:~$ -bash: curl: command not found ......
There has been a couple of reports of thetvdb.com having issues today - i think their api is being slow to respond and requests are timing out. Best bet would be to check their forums.

You can remove that message that pops up:

System->Video->Library->Hide progress of library updates
(2013-12-03, 23:33)prae5 Wrote: There has been a couple of reports of thetvdb.com having issues today - i think their api is being slow to respond and requests are timing out. Best bet would be to check their forums.

You can remove that message that pops up:

System->Video->Library->Hide progress of library updates

not entirely correct, you can hide the display of the ongoing update but as soon as the progress comes to a halt that message pops up to tell you about it and it can't be hidden as it requires an input by the user. I tried that approach and it behaves as I described.
Hmmm, it shouldn't. Let me have a check, because you can do what you want.
Ok I was lying - you need to add the following to your advancedsettings.xml:

Code:
<videoscanner>
    <ignoreerrors>true</ignoreerrors> <!-- Set to true to silently ignore errors while scanning videos. This prevents the error dialogue box, so you don't have to keep hitting "yes" to keep scanning.-->
</videoscanner>
(2013-12-04, 13:25)prae5 Wrote: Ok I was lying - you need to add the following to your advancedsettings.xml:

Code:
<videoscanner>
    <ignoreerrors>true</ignoreerrors> <!-- Set to true to silently ignore errors while scanning videos. This prevents the error dialogue box, so you don't have to keep hitting "yes" to keep scanning.-->
</videoscanner>

thanks man, u rock...
I'm having the same problem and it was intermittent.

I could check and ping to any server was working but curl was returning "Cannot connect to remote server".

I tried to add nameserver in many ways and many files and it not solve the problem because it is not the problem.

When I disable ipv6, it solve the problem! Wink
I disabled ipv6 adding ipv6.disable=1 to /boot/cmdline.txt

After that, just restart: shutdown -r now
(2013-07-12, 14:26)sphere Wrote: Double check your proxy settings:
(For Confluence)
System -> Settings -> System -> Internet Access -> "Use an HTTP Proxy" needs to be disabled.
Than you sphere for this!!!

After I upgraded to KODI Krypton there were a couple of small annoyances:
1: KODI KORE wouldn't connect, but I read through those threads and it's working again.
2: Scrapers were unable to connect to remote server, error messages were popping up.

I'm relaying the KORE problem as for whatever reason in the past, in order to connect to the media center proxy settings were needed. (I'm prolly wrong on this part)
So I entered in information and activated Proxy settings. That solved connecting to KORE.
Flash forward to today, I stumbled on this thread. Disabled Proxy settings and BAAAM!, The scrapers are fine! W00T!!  Nod
I added a couple of movies, and TA-DA! The error message disappeared, and for this instance only added the movies manually. I'm pretty sure the next movie I add will be picked up just fine from this point forward.
I then went back to check KORE, and it is still working fine with proxy settings turned off.  Cool

I'm on a windows 10 machine, and everything looks to be running as expected.

I could have stayed quiet, but instead have chosen to say THANK YOU!!! To all the KODI Team for all of these wonderful resources, and avenues to try out to solve problems when they arise.

Thank you for all you do everyday!!!
Came across this thread as I had the same issue today after doing a fresh Raspbian / Kodi 17.6 install. 
The solution for me was that the included scraper add-ons for TVDB, TMDB and the Version Check all had newer versions available. After updating the add-ons, no more "unable to connect to remote server" 

To upgrade:

System -> Settings -> Add-ons -> Updates 
Select the add-on you want, then update.

Mike
They will also update themselves within 24 hours, but that is a while to wait when setting up a new machine!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Cannot connect to remote server" no matter what scraper i use...0