Android - what android TV BOX to buy for xbmc??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
dudu2683 Offline
hi

I am interested to buy a android TV BOX (with spdif output)

now i have the UHOST2 stick he is ok but i cant use the original XBMC only the XAF virsion (with MX player...)

Now is there a android device that can run the original XBMC without problames (with his player not the MX player)?

I read on devices on minix,pivos,G-Box Midnight MX2 ...wich is the best for XBMC

thanks
find quote
skullmonkey Offline
I just got this: http://www.energysistem.com/en/products/...ox/gallery
Will do some tests and write to you here.

S@
find quote
eskro Offline
Posting Freak
ouya + xbmc gotham alpha 1
find quote
Kev7274 Offline
I had the G-Box Midnight MX2 and wasn't impressed. It says it does 1080p,but does NOT. The interface seemed slow and sluggish to me. It would also freeze up alot.
find quote
solamnic Offline
Posting Freak
(2013-07-14 11:02)eskro Wrote:  ouya + xbmc gotham alpha 1

eskro have you tried it?
what were your impressions?
find quote
squirrelz Offline
(2013-07-14 11:02)eskro Wrote:  ouya + xbmc gotham alpha 1

I didn't think the ouya had an spdif output?

Of those android boxes which do have an spdif, they are mostly coax (requiring a 3.5mm mono jack to rca adapter), with only a few having optical spdif.
find quote
Hetoft Offline
I bought the Pivos XIOS DS a week or so ago, updated to the newest ICS and XBMC nightly (made for the box). I gave it a chance, but it still has several bugs (worst one I experienced was that when running Spotify, it kept dropping my WiFi connection). I tried XBMC, which only runs smoothly with some of the lighter skins, and couldn't really get smooth video playback (even 720p was lagging a bit). Plus, the remote seems very cheap and makes clicking noises.

I didn't try it with OpenELEC or XBMCbuntu, but my advice would be to stay away from it if you want to run Android. The Ouya seems a bit better, though I haven't tried it. The way I see it, if you can live with the occasional bugs and kinda sluggish experience, by all means go for Android. But if you want a completely smooth experience where everything just works right outta the box, wait a year or two, or install OpenELEC.
find quote
omnium Offline
Fanlesstech reported today..

[Image: shot3rlfx.png]

Fanlesstech, Utilite Wrote:Cheap ARM boxes are everywhere, but most of them are underpowered Android TV dongles. Introducing Utilite, a very exciting and fully integrated ARM / Ubuntu PC.

Compulab (maker of the MintBox, Fit-PC, and Tegra-based Trim Slice) promises to deliver rich multimedia and PC-like user experience. Utilite will be available next month in single, dual, and quad core versions starting at $99.

✓ Freescale i.MX6 single / dual / quad core Cortex-A9 MPCore, up to 1.2GHz
✓ Ubuntu / Android options
✓ Up to 4GB DDR3-1066
✓ mSATA SSD, up to 512GB
✓ Micro-SD SDXC, up to 128GB
✓ Supports OpenGL ES 1.1 and 2.0, OpenVG 1.1 and OpenCL EP
✓ Supports multi-stream 1080p H.264, VC1, RV10, DivX HW decoding
✓ HDMI 1.4 up to 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz
✓ DVI-D up to 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz
✓ Two 1000 BaseT Ethernet
✓ 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi
✓ Bluetooth 3.0
✓ S/PDIF 5.1 (electrical through 3.5mm jack)
✓ Stereo line-out, Stereo line-in
✓ 4 x USB 2.0
✓ USB OTG (micro-USB connector)
✓ Two RS232 serial ports (ultra mini serial connector)
✓ 5.3″ x 3.9″ x 0.8″ 135mm x 100mm x 21mm
✓ Unregulated 10 to 16 volt input Power
✓ 3W - 8W power consumption (depending on system configuration and load)
...imo perfect as a HTPC with XBMC and together with the MOI DVB-S2 Streaming Box even with live TV.
(This post was last modified: 2013-07-15 13:45 by omnium.)
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Team-Kodi Wiki Guy
(2013-07-15 10:29)Hetoft Wrote:  I bought the Pivos XIOS DS a week or so ago, updated to the newest ICS and XBMC nightly (made for the box). I gave it a chance, but it still has several bugs (worst one I experienced was that when running Spotify, it kept dropping my WiFi connection). I tried XBMC, which only runs smoothly with some of the lighter skins, and couldn't really get smooth video playback (even 720p was lagging a bit). Plus, the remote seems very cheap and makes clicking noises.

I didn't try it with OpenELEC or XBMCbuntu, but my advice would be to stay away from it if you want to run Android. The Ouya seems a bit better, though I haven't tried it. The way I see it, if you can live with the occasional bugs and kinda sluggish experience, by all means go for Android. But if you want a completely smooth experience where everything just works right outta the box, wait a year or two, or install OpenELEC.

Use the Pivos Linux FW and using an SD card for userdata (see Pivos forums for both). It makes a world of difference.

You can make easy links to the XBMC wiki using double brackets around common XBMC words: [[debug log]] = debug log, [[Video library]] = Video library, [[SMB]] = SMB , [[userdata]] = userdata, etc
find quote
ilovemymac Offline
Fan
I have done that is still very sluggish.
Outside of the computer AppleTV 2 still for me and all the testing of all the boxes I've done running the best. I just got an Apple TV one with Broadcom chipset and I'm going to put that in there and test and see how that runs with openelec.
find quote
Leoislegend Offline
Hi,

I didn't want to start a new thread but basically i've been looking for an Android box to buy... was doing some research and stumbled upon this forum. I'm not looking to spend more than £100 (~$150) and after looking into everything i'm leaning towards the Ouya. I have no interest in the games but it looks like it runs well and does everything I want which is to play files from my external HDD and browse the internet. The only problem is the controller... is it possible to use my smartphone as a controller for Android and XBMC?

Also does the Ouya support the XMBC add-ons as I don't have an aerial in my room so would be nice to install FilmOn or something? I was looking at the G Box MX2 and I know you can install all sorts of add-ons on it but after reading reviews I was put off buying it!
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Team-Kodi Wiki Guy
Yes and yes

You can make easy links to the XBMC wiki using double brackets around common XBMC words: [[debug log]] = debug log, [[Video library]] = Video library, [[SMB]] = SMB , [[userdata]] = userdata, etc
find quote
Leoislegend Offline
(2013-07-28 21:21)Ned Scott Wrote:  Yes and yes

OK thanks. Smile

I guess i'll give the Ouya a try then... ordering from Amazon so worst case scenario can return it!
find quote
Netix Offline
Will the Ouya run heavy XBMC Skins like Aeon Nox ?
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Team-Kodi Wiki Guy
Yep

find quote