Need advice for buying a NUC
Is there specific NAS specs that I need to worry about for speed and multitasking ability?
My hardware is quite old now (positively ancient in computing terms), but it does everything I ask it to, with cpu cycles to spare. MySQL is pretty lightweight, and if you are prepared to configure things from a command line and not use a desktop, a minimal install of Ubuntu will be lightweight too. Given a fast HDD in the NUC, I don't think you would run into problems with it not being able to do what you want. Of course if you start serving 40~50Mbps bluray rips to multiple clients at once, you probably will get issues, but that'd be more down to network or disk bottlenecks than lack of cpu grunt.

I'd expect an i3 to be able to run Ubuntu minimal, MySQL, XBMC and serve a file to a remote client without breaking a sweat.

Having said that, a NAS would remove the need to serve files from the NUC, and you can tuck it away out of sight. It does up the cost though.

If you have some old hardware that you could repurpose, then you might be interested in freenas.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2014-07-24, 23:18)pcgirl Wrote: Is there specific NAS specs that I need to worry about for speed and multitasking ability?

Any of the current models from Synology or QNAP should be up to the job. They are actually quite powerful little boxes with the advantage of relatively no-brainer configuration... they work with most desktop class drives although it would make sense to pick drives that are "NAS friendly" such as the WD Red series of hard drives.

Being a guy who is pretty knowledgeable about this stuff and who could definitely "roll my own" storage solution I still prefer using a Synology NAS. I never have to mess with it, if I do have to configure something it takes just a few seconds, and if a disk failure happens (disk needs replacement or failure is imminent) then it alerts me to this by beeping and lighting lamps making the swap out easy.

If you can afford $350-$499 for a NAS + the cost of desktop drives you are far better off going that way and just using other devices (i3 NUC would be near the top of the list power-wise) for XBMC playback.
If your comfortable setting up Linux and editing config files just about any hardware can be setup as a NAS. My home NAS is running an Intel Atom processor with Ubuntu server. I've been able to stream everything I needed to from it. First thin you should determine is how much storage space you need, and whether you want a RAID or non-RAID system.
(2014-07-24, 03:01)wileecoyote Wrote:
(2014-07-23, 23:24)pcgirl Wrote: Hey Kelavine and Wileecoyote, how do you find these at streaming over wifi?

I don't have a wifi card in any of mine, they are all hard wired... Sorry Sad

Same for me, my NUC is hard wired to my network.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need advice for buying a NUC0