New Media Center Mac mini?
Hello all.

Im going to upgrade my ATV2, and im thinking of going for a Mac mini, are there any downsides of that.

as i can read it seems to be able to play all formats and be totaly compatible with XBMC.

How is the fan noise level?

Some advice/rewiew from others mac mini users would be helpful

In Advanced thxSmile

Kind Reguards

Seb.
No one of the 53 viewers have some light on my post?
MacMini is a very good media server, and very quiet. The remote will even work with the unit behind the TV. The IR remote is very strong/reflective.
If you use OSX on it you can't get HD audio. If you want HD audio you can run Windows on it it.
(2013-07-12, 14:41)T800 Wrote: If you use OSX on it you can't get HD audio. If you want HD audio you can run Windows on it it.

Hmm, ok thats one thing to think about, was going to run osx for others thinks...

is that on the xbmc software side og OS side?
I had one for a while, I believe it was a 2012 Server model(dual HDD's instead of DVD+HDD) with the Core2Duo and it was certainly capable of running XBMC. I seriously doubt you would ever hear it unless it got incredibly hot, which should not happen with XBMC. With that said, I came to the realization that I paid a lot of money for not a lot of machine and end up selling it on Craigslist. Going and building your own PC on newegg can save you a substantial amount of money and provide you the same or better performance with better expandability and upgradability. Remember that the Mini is basically just a laptop without a screen. CPU, GPU, HDD and everything else are all mobile hardware and cannot be upgraded down the road(well the HDD can).
I picked up a mid 2011 refurbished tossed 8gb of ram and a ssd in that I had lying around. Very pleased. Running w7 due to the 2 wmc protected chans I watch. Everything thing else is xbmc and npvr
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2013-07-12, 14:43)Sebski Wrote:
(2013-07-12, 14:41)T800 Wrote: If you use OSX on it you can't get HD audio. If you want HD audio you can run Windows on it it.

Hmm, ok thats one thing to think about, was going to run osx for others thinks...

is that on the xbmc software side og OS side?

OS side.
thx for alle the replays.

So i have desided to get an mac mini when i get home from vacation.

is it possible and better to dual boot openelec on usb/sdcard to get HD audio , xbmc will be the main thing for the mac mini, the osx is only for full OP sometimes.
Just change the boot priority to the usb device. When you want to go to osx manually select the os at boot
I run XBMC over OSX on my 2010 macmini.

Works like a champ.
XBMC on MacMini + <12TB of material displaying on 60" or 150".
Ok thx for all replyes.

Will check in later when i get it going and report/review

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Media Center Mac mini?0