Win Desktop PC as HTPC, Review and need Video Card
Hey all,

I'm new to the HTPC scene after I've continued to be let down from my PS3. A year or so I bought a new PC and have kept around my old one thinking I could use it for something someday. I think it may work, however I'd like to provide the specs and get some feedback and any thoughts on a video card for playback.

Sony Vaio VGC-RB53: SPECS
Summary = Pentium 4, 3 Ghz, I added RAM, its up to 1 GB. And I have a WD 3 TB USB HD.

For the software side, its Windows XP based, but I could easily load Ubuntu or another platform if it is more functional. For remote, I see the android APP- and other physical remotes seem reasonably prices.

I'm thinking hardware wise this should be adequate, perhaps more RAM; but more importantly I'd at least need an HD video card with HDMI out.

What do you all think about using this PC as an HTPC? And whats a good video card to use with this setup?

Thanks for any input.
I have 2 similar spec boxes running mythfrontend and xbmc. Use an nvidia gt610 fanless. Install xbmcbuntu or openelec.
thanks for the advice. think this card would work: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 2GB GDDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI Low Profile PCI-Express Video Card N620GT-MD2GD3/LP ... it has a fan though...
Almost certainly, any current nvidia card that fits in the case will work. I suggested gt610 because it is cheap and fanless, but if the fan noise doesn't bother you, go for it.
Ok, I'm not as familiar with these types of cards. I guess any fan noise would be too much. Any tips on where to find one? I see something on Amazon, but its micro-HDMI out
Depending on how much noise the rest of your system makes it may not be noticeable.
True teedub. Newegg is a good place to look. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis...ageSize=20
Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to get a 610.

With regard to noise, the PC does make some noise now and then. I think its the fan on the processor... one of the reasons I decided to buy a new computer. So you've got a valid point.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Desktop PC as HTPC, Review and need Video Card0