• 4(current)
[OPEN BETA] Mute Profanity
hi i have a film I am trying to watch, and have the srt file for it, if i go to mute profanity an select film to modify it scans and says unable to connect or no sub file found i tried on vlc player to test it and the film picking up my sub srt file, but mute profanity saying no file found want to download, i click yet but says failed, the sub file is on the site it is scanning but not locating it or converting to the edl any ideas as i'm stuck on this one Smile
(2014-04-21, 22:33)paulie79 Wrote: hi i have a film I am trying to watch, and have the srt file for it, if i go to mute profanity an select film to modify it scans and says unable to connect or no sub file found i tried on vlc player to test it and the film picking up my sub srt file, but mute profanity saying no file found want to download, i click yet but says failed, the sub file is on the site it is scanning but not locating it or converting to the edl any ideas as i'm stuck on this one Smile

Something else that I feared might happen, the plugin can't find the srt file for it. While XBMC is a lot more lenient, this plugin is very strict. Try making the srt have the exact same name as the video file (except with a '.srt' extension) and make sure it's in the same folder as the video file. If you want some help with that, send me the file names (and their paths) and I can try to figure out why it's not finding it.
(2014-04-22, 21:05)fegunz Wrote:
(2014-04-21, 22:33)paulie79 Wrote: hi i have a film I am trying to watch, and have the srt file for it, if i go to mute profanity an select film to modify it scans and says unable to connect or no sub file found i tried on vlc player to test it and the film picking up my sub srt file, but mute profanity saying no file found want to download, i click yet but says failed, the sub file is on the site it is scanning but not locating it or converting to the edl any ideas as i'm stuck on this one Smile

Something else that I feared might happen, the plugin can't find the srt file for it. While XBMC is a lot more lenient, this plugin is very strict. Try making the srt have the exact same name as the video file (except with a '.srt' extension) and make sure it's in the same folder as the video file. If you want some help with that, send me the file names (and their paths) and I can try to figure out why it's not finding it.

it the mute profanity to i think i downloading wrong or subs not for film i have to search myself for them, it finds them then makes the file but as of late mute profanity is not muting any of the blocked words, i see in post a few other having problem they load film into mute profanity, it says you can now watch your film but is not muting anything what so ever,it has stopped working Sad i tried uninstalling it in addons and reinstalling it with both your versions and the setting are the same as if i never uninstalled it any idea on how fix this ?
(2014-04-23, 02:06)paulie79 Wrote: it the mute profanity to i think i downloading wrong or subs not for film i have to search myself for them, it finds them then makes the file but as of late mute profanity is not muting any of the blocked words, i see in post a few other having problem they load film into mute profanity, it says you can now watch your film but is not muting anything what so ever,it has stopped working Sad i tried uninstalling it in addons and reinstalling it with both your versions and the setting are the same as if i never uninstalled it any idea on how fix this ?

Put the contents of your .edl file that into pastebin and send me a link. Also send me the full paths of the video file, the srt file, and the edl file and I might be able to help.
After an equally one-year hiatus, (or more I think), I've returned to having this plugin in my life once more and I must say it's working really smoothly now, compared to before! I previously was on XBMC on Windows, now XBMC on a Mac.

fegunz I have a suggestion: might it somehow be possible, to make an option in the plugin to 'display subtitles for muted lines'? (And the way I can see it'd work, is you modify the srt to change all lines/entries that don't contain the filtered words (whether original form or ****'d out), into 'blank' lines so that in effect, only the muted lines are shown during the movie.)

I suppose if one really doesn't want exposure to profanity, the option would normally be used in conjunction with the 'replace with ****' one, and with them combined, it'd be a really smooth way to still follow the dialog with no effort, but still have no exposure to the profanity!

And because the '****' feature already modifies the srt file easily enough, and I know text replacement algorithms are fairly straightforward (I myself use textmechanic.com a lot), I assume this idea wouldn't actually be too troublesome to try?

cheers and thanks for continuing to work on the plugin again Smile.
thwap

PS just trying to analyse, laymans-way, how possible it may be (using this srt as an example):

assuming the srt will not throw errors with blank entries and also that there's not 10 different variations on the srt standard, whatever it is, the text replacement logic could be:

blank out all lines not containing '*****', except for lines:

- consisting of a blank space (/with nothing in them but space/line break) [so that rules out line spacing which I assume is still needed]
- containing '00:' OR '01:' OR '02:' (etc.....up to maybe 09 hours, any videos longer than 09 hours must be very rare lol) [so that rules out timestamp lines] - oh, unless '-->' is enough to cleanly filter out all timestamp lines? cool.
- NOT containing alphabetical letters [to filter out probably 99.99999% of subtitles lines ever, so isolating the entry numbers in this case, the lines above the timestamp ones]

And maybe there's an even easier way to code it anyway, that somehow understand srt structure so doesn't have to do it in that hacky txt way, I'm not sure, you're the expert! Tongue

Thanks
Has anyone tried this on G-box MX2? I am thinking this might be the trick for my movie library.
I never have gotten it to work
Is anyone else still using this addon? Has anyone else gotten it to work lately in Gotham?
I use it everyday with Gotham. Two suggestions if you could check Addic7ed Subtitles as an alternate or also would be good, and the second is if you could set it to use for all files or all in a folder / for every episode in a TV Show.

Thanks.
(2014-04-20, 20:04)fegunz Wrote: Hello again everyone! I forgot to subscribe to the thread and haven't logged in here in months, but now I'm back! Smile Unfortunately, I have no updates yet, but I just finished another project I was working on and would like to get this plugin working better.

To answer some questions:
"how do i edit the list i have added other swear words which i want banned" -> Honestly it's a pain right now, but it can be done. You have to find the folder where the plugin is installed, then look under "resources/filter.txt". Each line of the file has this structure:
<word>: <rating>
The higher the rating, the more offensive the word, and therefore will be blocked even at low settings. For example the F-Bomb has a rating of 10 for most offensive and therefore will blocked on every setting except "None", but 'crap' only has a rating of 2, which means it won't be blocked unless your blocker is turned up all the way. I know this can be confusing and it's one of the things I'd like to improve upon.
If you need help finding this file, let me know what OS you're running and I can point you in the right direction.

ilovemymac: I still haven't got around to fixing the issue where the video file is hosted on the network, which was the problem with your situation last time I checked. Can you try moving one of your files to the machine you're running XBMC on and checking if that works? If the plugin says it worked, you should see a file with a .edl extension in the same place where your movie file is. For example, I have on my computer a folder called "Iron Man" with the files in it Ironman.mkv, Ironman.srt, and Ironman.edl. The .edl is the file that is generated by Mute Profanity. You can even open up that file in a text editor and it should show you which words were muted.

"Will this work with Gotham?" -> I haven't tried this myself yet but I have no reason to think Gotham would behave any different. Did you end up trying it out? I'd be curious to see what happened.

Thank you all again for being such great beta testers!
What would it take for the add-on to work with files housed on a network?
And if we run the add-on on the network machine to create the edl, could the add-on then read that existing edl across the network just fine?
Hi all! I successfully installed add-on in Gotham but when I go to Video Add-ons\Mute Profanity\Edit Movies... I get nothing? No files or a way to browse my files are listed? How do I actually go about watching something with the pluggin active?

Tnx in advance!
(2014-08-23, 23:21)SneakyLilHobbit Wrote: Hi all! I successfully installed add-on in Gotham but when I go to Video Add-ons\Mute Profanity\Edit Movies... I get nothing? No files or a way to browse my files are listed? How do I actually go about watching something with the pluggin active?

Tnx in advance!

Did you follow the instructions to add your files to XBMC normally?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add...he_library

I'm relatively new to XBMC also so if you have already tried, sorry just trying to help anyway I can.
The developer seems to have abanded the project
(2014-08-25, 01:56)ssuh Wrote:
(2014-08-23, 23:21)SneakyLilHobbit Wrote: Hi all! I successfully installed add-on in Gotham but when I go to Video Add-ons\Mute Profanity\Edit Movies... I get nothing? No files or a way to browse my files are listed? How do I actually go about watching something with the pluggin active?

Tnx in advance!

Did you follow the instructions to add your files to XBMC normally?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add...he_library

I'm relatively new to XBMC also so if you have already tried, sorry just trying to help anyway I can.

Hi! Tnx for the tip... yes I did add the files in the manner mentioned in the thread you sent me but its still not working. After I added my movies, I can see (and play) them in the Videos\Files\ section but when I click add-ons under videos and navigate to Edit Movies under the MuteProfanity add-on... all I get is an empty list with the two ".." at the top that returns me to previous menu.

Anyone else know if Im missing something? Can I download an older version of XBMC somewhere and try that?
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[OPEN BETA] Mute Profanity4