Troubleshooting Trouble -- XBMC 12.2; recurring freezes on Intel NUC; culprit?
Let me say at the outset that I'm not sure that I have an XBMC problem, but I am hopeful that someone here can point me in the right direction.

Problem: starting about a week ago, my XBMC freezes for about 5-10 seconds about every 5-10 minutes.

Situation: I have XBMC 12.2 (Linux) running on an Intel Next Unit of Computing ("NUC") computer with a Celeron 847 processor. My OS is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. All media files are stored on my NAS (FreeNAS 8.3.1 running on an HP N40L dedicated server). My network is entirely Gigabit wired ethernet. When I run debugging on the NUC, it never shows the CPU load to go over 20%. My FreeNAS unit never has a load over 10%. The freezes occur even on very low bitrate AVI files.

What is going on here? I've thought of problems with (1) XBMC itself, (2) the NUC hardware and OS, (3) my network fabric including wiring, router and switches, (4) my FreeNAS unit, but I no idea how I can test things to identify the culprit. I don't know how to begin to troubleshoot this. If there is some network hardware testing equipment that can be bought for less than $100 and can run a continuous load on a network segment to identify dropouts, I'd test (1) the link from the NUC to its switch (2) from the NUC's switch to the router (3) from the router to the switch that serves the FreeNAS and (4) from its switch to the FreeNAS. Maybe I need to have a pro come test my wiring?

I'm grasping at straws here.
dmesg | pastebinit

after this happens - for the Celeron NUC you have to disable rc6 via grub and retry.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
start by copying a file that has shown the issue to the local hdd and play it from there.
look at the xbmc log(enable debugging), dmesg, top

Also think about what you did when this started. Did you install addons or other software, updates?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Troubleshooting Trouble -- XBMC 12.2; recurring freezes on Intel NUC; culprit?0