Key mapping for dummies
Hi forum,

can someone answer the below questions regarding remote key mapping for me please?

To start with, I have a Xbox 360 Media Remote (white version with illumination), that's this one:

Although the remote already works quite well in XBMC (in Openelec, that is), I'd like to understand how to change or add a few key assignments.

First, on key presses at the remote my XBMC.log gives lines like
Code:
LIRC: Update - NEW at 13969417:d0 0 KEY_FASTFORWARD devinput (KEY_FASTFORWARD)

Second, in keyboard.xml there is a related entry saying:
Code:
<remote>
[...]
      <forward>FastForward</forward>
[...]    
</remote>

I understand that the "FastForward" command is one of the built-in commands of XBMC.

Question 1.): However, where (in a config file?) do I find the definition stating that the "KEY_FASTFORWARD" command sent by my remote actually is assigned to the <forward></forward> command of keyboard.xml?
Q1 in the meantime has been cleared up by
teeedubb below and by FishOil in another thread here

Question 2.): Why is it that in the keyboard.xml file, the command FastForward can be used, instead of having to use PlayerControl(FastForward) as the above List of built-in functions seems to state as necessary syntax?

Question 3.): Additionally, how come that the command FastForward in the keyboard.xml does work at all, when the respective command in the function list is not called FastForward but Forward instead?

Thanks heaps already for clearing this up for me,

Cheers David.P
Q1 Lircmap.xml

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Use...ircmap.xml
OK thanks. I also found this:

Guide To Test a Remote and Remap Keys

and this:

Why is the Lircmap.xml in Read-Only mode?

However, I don't seem to find any "lircmap.xml" i my entire Openelec installation Sad ...the part that is visible to a Windows machine:

Thus, how does my keyboard.xml file 'know' that the IR-command "KEY_FASTFORWARD" is assigned to the XBMC "Forward" command, when there is no "Lircmap.xml" file?
OK, using Putty, I managed to locate Lircmap.xml in
/usr/share/xbmc/system

Afterwards, I copied Lircmap.xml to
/storage/.xbmc/userdata

...using the command
cp /usr/share/xbmc/system/Lircmap.xml /storage/.xbmc/userdata

Now if I edit:
/storage/.xbmc/userdata/Lircmap.xml

Question 4.):
...will the older read-only copy:
/usr/share/xbmc/system/Lircmap.xml

...still be in effect and only the parts that I change in the former file will override the respective parts of the latter?
Q4 has been answered by teeedubb below

Btw.,
Question 5.):
What is the differenc between:

List of built-in XBMC functions

and

List of XBMC Keymap Actions

Huh

Thanks once more for any help,
Cheers David.P
4. Yes the use data lircmap will override the system lircmap. I only keep my changes in the use data key map to make it easy to maintain.
Thanks teeedubb, for your helpful answers regarding Questions 1 and 4!

Cheers David.P
built-in commands are stuff that can be executed from skins, scripts, keymaps and rpcs. these have no context.
keymap commands are stuff that can only be executed from a keymap. these typically have a context (their behavior depends on where you are, if media is playing aso).
Thanks spiff but...

*aaaahhhhrrr* Buttons, Names, Commands, Functions.... Tongue

So where are the official lists of all available XBMC Button Names, XBMC Commands and Functions (aka keymap commands?), respectively...?

Regards David.P

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Key mapping for dummies1