Auto Restart XBMC service?
Im running xbmc on xbmcbuntu. I have a few instances where when i switched on the TV XBMC had crashed and not restarted. Does Xbmcbuntu auto restart the xbmc services if they crash? if not, how do i implement this?
It should, I saw it happen this weekend while visiting a friend.
only if it really crashes, not if it locks up.
Yeah, I would like to improve this as it is a pain. in 2009 i used irexec and had a button mapped to kill & restart xbmc. Not sure if that is possible when running in the xbmcbuntu setup.

What is the issue with pinging e.g. the webserver and restart if no response, is the GUI hanging while other services still run?
(2013-07-16, 10:08)vikjon0 Wrote: Yeah, I would like to improve this as it is a pain. in 2009 i used irexec and had a button mapped to kill & restart xbmc. Not sure if that is possible when running in the xbmcbuntu setup.

What is the issue with pinging e.g. the webserver and restart if no response, is the GUI hanging while other services still run?

Still works in xbmcbuntu

use irexec and create a .lircrc file in the xbmc user directory with the following format.

begin
remote = Microsoft_Xbox360 <-------The lirc name of your remote
button = OpenClose <---------The lirc name of your button
prog = irexec
repeat = 0
config = /home/xbmc/restart-xbmc.sh <--------The name and location of the script you want to run
end

keep in mind this has to be a button with no other function.

This is for the situation of a xbmc hang. It will kill it and then restart on its own (xbmcbuntu). takes about 5 seconds

Code:
#! /bin/bash
killall -9 xbmc.bin

A in app restart is preferable if its not hung.

Such as in remote.xml

Code:
<power>XBMC.RestartApp()</power>
I do something similar but I use killall -s1 xbmc.bin. I'm not exactly sure what the number 1 signal is but it seems to be more agressive than 15 and less agressive than 9.
(2013-07-16, 10:08)vikjon0 Wrote: What is the issue with pinging e.g. the webserver and restart if no response, is the GUI hanging while other services still run?

how to do that? Smile
(2014-10-27, 18:19)snickers2k Wrote:
(2013-07-16, 10:08)vikjon0 Wrote: What is the issue with pinging e.g. the webserver and restart if no response, is the GUI hanging while other services still run?

how to do that? Smile

it won't help in all cases. If just the GUI locks up, the webserver might very well be responding fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto Restart XBMC service?0