Nearly a year in, I still haven't found the best feature/price xbmc box/build.
(2013-08-04, 15:41)solamnic Wrote:
(2013-08-04, 13:28)aesalazar Wrote: ...If you want to save money you can probably skip the ssd and go off a stick for the OS.

Its like having an m3 BMW with damaged tires... Smile

Hahahahaha. Awesome!
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2013-08-04, 15:41)solamnic Wrote: Its like having an m3 BMW with damaged tires... Smile

LOL. Its not quite THAT bad - I actually did alot of testing off sticks as part of my build, granted they are "fast" ones and not the cheapys. But yes if you want the best performance SSD is the way to go. YMMV.

Ernie
No point at all in an SSD if all the media is piping in over the ethernet cable via shared folders. I suppose it would access the xbmx core files a fraction of a second faster, however how much of the harddrive activity does that actually account for?

I also fail to see how a flash drive could be significantly slower that a flash based hard drive.
(2013-08-05, 03:31)exoscoriae Wrote: No point at all in an SSD if all the media is piping in over the ethernet cable via shared folders.

I think the point of an SSD is to store all the fanart and make it load quicker.
Can the Raspberry PI play uncompressed BluRay?
Yes, the SSD makes a big difference when it comes to the fanart - at least that is what I observed. For a while I was using MySQL on my Synology but that lead to a whole bunch of other problems so I went back to having them local. Also, boot up in general is much faster of course.

@Nu7s: I was able to get the Pi to play my BR ISOs smoothly IF it did not have to decode a DTS track, otherwise it would stutter. Overclocking helped alot but it was still there. I was running it on a SandDisk extreme 45 MB/S SD. Supposedly the super-dupper-whatever extreme (like 80 mb/s) would had solved the stuttering but I dont have any and didnt want spend that kind of money just to find out it didnt work - they are approaching SSD prices at that point.

Ernie
(2013-08-05, 08:58)joelbaby Wrote: I think the point of an SSD is to store all the fanart and make it load quicker.

But again, what is the speed difference between flash storage versus flash storage? The primary benefit of SSD, as I understand it, is that it offers large amounts of space and competes with standard SATA drives. A flash stick however is solid state as well, so the access time benefits are negated unless your port just has some extremely slow read/write speed.

(2013-08-05, 10:05)Nu7s Wrote: Can the Raspberry PI play uncompressed BluRay?

Double hell no. That thing can barely run skins. It even stutters heavily on heavily compressed 1080p content (eg: 2gb movie compressed down from 25gb) I never ran any media off of it locally, as that defeats the entire point of having an xbmc client machine on each TV that can access my main share folders. Even so, I have severe doubts in regards to the Pi's processor speeds.

There is a distinct reason that it requires a machine in the $250 range (after ram/drive) to get xbmc running smoothly and playing back video properly.
(2013-08-05, 13:47)exoscoriae Wrote: But again, what is the speed difference between flash storage versus flash storage?

SATA vs USB2.0 is a difference in itself, while at the high end the specs show they have comparable speed capability, it is rare you find USB 2.O flash drives that are above 50 mb/s . You have the interface hardware & drivers & controllers that impact speed. I believe SSDs have a DRAM cache. Even the operating voltage is different. And not all flash is created equal, as there is a huge difference in speed between different USB flash drives. I would think a really good USB 3.0 flash drive might rival an internal SSD for something like OpenELEC, but have not tried. I haven't yet seen a usb flash drive with read speed of 400 mb/s, its easy to find such as SSD.
Well, the ID61 has USB 3.0 slots on it.

And as I am looking for a box that I can buy 3 to 4 of to stream media to, I believe that 3.0 port will be perfectly acceptable for me needs while cutting quite a bit of money out of the builds by not having to buy an SSD drive for each machine.

My client machines stay on 24/7, so boot time isn't a concern. If the fanart is an issue, then I will consider adding SSD's over time as I find them on sale. However I'm not sure I am ready to justify $65 bucks per machine just for snappier fanart loading.

If I expected to have just one machine with all of my media on it, then an SSD still wouldn't work for me as I have 25+ tb of tv shows and movies. SSD drives haven't really gotten into that range yet =)
^ That approach makes sense. I have a low cost Foxconn NT-A3700 that just uses a 2.0 flash drive w. OpenELEC....works just fine for me, fanart loads quickly, IMO. Get a good flash drive and you will be OK.

Unfortunately the BIOS does not allow boot from the USB 3.0 ports. So I have my 3.0 drive plugged into the 2.0 port instead.

Keep your eyes out for deals, sometimes you can find those 32 GB SSDs for around $40 or less.
I don't care what it says it can do technically, the simple fact is that in reality - it can't. I have one. I have tried it. It stutters like Simple Jack. and I'm not the only one.

google: raspberry pi + xbmx + bluray

You will find 90% of pages saying not to bother with it. And 10% saying, "But we are working on it..."

edit:
In fairness, if the user gives it the exact file it likes (h.264, no hd audio, no DTS) on media hooked through the USB 3.0 port then you have a decent chance of it playing. I say chance, because even then users have reported stuttering.

The ethernet port is 100T, If you are streaming your media via the port, it *will* stutter.

So if you want a highly temperamental device that you have to bring your media too every time you want to use it, not use high quality audio (unless you have a high end receiver to handle that for you), and even then not be assured it won't skip sometimes - then yes, by all means use a Pi. I am sick though of Pi apologists acting like it is a decent device for the aevrage person and that it has any place in an HD setup for people who don't want to deal with an entire list of caveats everytime they go to watch something.

Can the Pi do uncompressed 1080p video? Yes, in very perfect circumstances, but even then, not always. Just because it is capable of this in those conditions does not mean it is worth the headache of dealing with to meet those conditions.
Can you provide an example? I would love to test it on mine.
Nu7s: Here is a very honest breakdown of the capabilities of the Pi:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=152339

(2013-08-05, 15:54)ThePolarSky Wrote:
(2013-08-05, 15:45)exoscoriae Wrote: I don't care what it says it can do technically, the simple fact is that in reality - it can't. I have one. I have tried it. It stutters like Simple Jack. and I'm not the only one.

You mustn't have tried very hard.

It works A-OK if you set it up right...

The 100T ethernet limitation itself is a huge problem for people like myself who access their entire video collection via shared folders. If you want to copy a several gigabyte file to a usb 3.0 drive every time you want to watch a movie, then that is your prerogative.

(2013-08-05, 15:54)ThePolarSky Wrote:
(2013-08-05, 15:45)exoscoriae Wrote: I don't care what it says it can do technically, the simple fact is that in reality - it can't. I have one. I have tried it. It stutters like Simple Jack. and I'm not the only one.

Again, FUD.

It works A-OK if you set it up right...

You keep saying that, and yet I and *many* others do not have that experience. let me introduce you to some friends of mine:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=156214

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewto...4&p=267190

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewto...35&t=20600

Those are just a few. So it is not just me having bad experience with this thing.

Look, I'm not saying the Pi is an impossible device. I'm saying it is temperamental and very limited. When a device can't even scroll through the menus without a several second lag, then there are bigger issues at hand.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nearly a year in, I still haven't found the best feature/price xbmc box/build.0