Hardware Suggestions Needed
I've been reading threads for weeks and now need some suggestions. I'm looking to replace my cable with a XBMC box. I would like to run it through wifi and use it to stream movies and tv shows off the internet and watch ESPN (i have comcast internet so i have access to espn3). I really don't have many movies backed, so storage and streaming 1080p isn't a huge concern.

Would I be able to get by with a Privos XIOS or would I need to step up and go with something like a Lenovo HTPC?
You likely won't find any android boxes that will stream 1080 files via wifi. My personal opinion is to stay away from the Pivos or any of the 1st generation Android boxes.

I was going to purchase a Lenovo and have read some great reviews. I ended up getting an Alienware X51 for my main entertainment room as my kids like to game and I thought it looked cool. It is an awesome machine but considering the price and the fact we have a PS3 and XBox I probably should have saved a few hundred $ and went with the Lenovo.

I also have an AppleTv 2, EnjoyTv520, Pivos and JynxBox. AppleTv 2 still performs very good but for the current price on eBay the Lenovo would be a better investment. EnjoyTv520 is a great little machine that runs XBMC very well for under $100. The Pivos and Jynxbox are simply overpriced for the hardware and performance they deliver.
XIOS on sale at $80 is far from over priced. However, at $100-ish, I would either get an OUYA or wait to see what the next Pivos box is. There are some other interesting $100-ish boxes out there, but I have yet to see them really prove themselves. I would not touch an ATV2 for XBMC right now (keeping in mind I bought my ATV2 just for XBMC, and the ATV2 port is what lead me to being more active wi XBMC and eventually becoming a team member. It's just not worth the price anymore, and iOS updates are killing performance for XBMC).

However, if this is your first/main HTPC, then something like a Lenovo or other x86 (PC) based HTPC might be better. For about $200 you can have an awesome box like this: http://www.provantage.com/acer-dt-vfgaa-...CED0JX.htm
That Acer is tempting. Can I use Watch ESPN with Linux?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware Suggestions Needed1