HP Proliant Microserver - help+consulation
Hello, iam new in the forum but iam use the XBMC a long time.

the last week iam searching the best soilution to upgrade my "private ceinema".
i want to run on something XBMC 24\7 and not from my laptop.
i want a device that will storage and stream media to the house.
i want a device to be used a download server.

i bump into the HP Proliant Microserver N54L that can be the 3 things that i want. but i am very sensitive to slowness.

what you say? in this price can i have the perfect solution?

wich video card i need to buy?
wich OS i need to run that XBMC will alwayes run at the same time to stream and download ?
HDD i have.

thanks !Wink
I'd use the N54L as a NAS (with FreeNAS/NAS4Free, maybe UnRaid as an OS), tuck it in a closet somewhere, then use Raspberry Pi for your XBMC client(s). I'd also use another Raspberry Pi with Raspbian as a headless download "server" (assuming you mean Sickbeard/Torrent/etc.).

You could do it all in one, maybe with Windows (if you have a licence) but using the N54L as your XBMC player will require an additional nVidia/ATI video card for smooth video playback.

Howver, 1) although the N54L is relatively quiet it's not something I'd want in my living room especially when all the drives are spinning and rattling, and 2) adding XBMC and other plugins/addons on top of NAS software rapidly becomes a management PITA - using Pi's for the non-NAS functionality makes life a lot simpler.

I use a Pi running Sickbeard and Transmission (plus Logitech Media Server, DHCP/DNS) and it's absolutely fine at that, in fact it hangs off of two of the USB ports on the N36L for power. My N36L with 8GB RAM is running FreeNAS 8.3.1 to which I have added MySQL 5.5 for my XBMC clients - I'd rather not have added MySQL to the NAS, but running it on the NAS is the best place for it so but that's where I drew the line - I could see how painful it was going to become managing multiple addons on the NAS (think: no chance of spin down, more noise/power consumption, upgrade hell etc.)
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
If you are sensitive to slowness, then maybe the pi is not the perfect client?
Though I do agree with MilhouseVH, its probably better to limit the workload of the N45L to internal storage and streaming, particularly if you are planning on multiple clients around the house.
If you want to use the microserver as an all in one, get an nvidia card and install linux/xbmcbuntu.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
thanks for all the comments.

maybe this is not the best soloution?
i read some treads in the forum, there is some device that looks intresting.
Lenovo Q190 ? Zbox? Intel NUC? but this + HP device without the video card will cost me more 250-300 $.

i search the best solution to build storage + streaming + download station
and XBMC device in the small price.
in the start i thought that i save money and will buy the HP device that will give me the best solution!

you have other suggestion ?
If you want to use a machine that combines all, HP Proliant is a good choice (plus an nvidia 610 or 620) ..
there are times that HP Proliant go on sale (-$100)

but its not silent (even if you change the internal fan)

If i would go do an all around machine i think i would go:

fractal 304: $79,00 - 15% (discount ends today)( + 15% off w/ promo code EMCXNWP226, ends 7/22 )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...alParent=1

ASUS P8H77-I LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard (with 6 sata) $109.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813131841

Celeron 1610 $49,99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4BJ...d_i=507846

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL $79.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820231314

Silverstone Modular (& short cable kit) or Seasonic ($75 -100)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817256065
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6812162010
this machine will be with 6 HDD silent more than the HP? and more powerfull?

if the HP very loudly (this device will be in my bedroom - i have in the bedreem also 2 nas of iomega) and it will not will be 100% not slowly, maybe feasible to buy the HP device without the video card + htpc machine that will run only XBMC. THE question is - isnt a waste of money??
instead of "all in one" in the HP with posible to slowly and loud noise from it - cheap
(2013-07-22, 15:42)aldin Wrote: this machine will be with 6 HDD silent more than the HP? and more powerfull?

6 HDD will make more noise than 4 HDD (although you can easily get the N54L to support 5 HDD, and with some jiggery pokery, even 6 HDD).

(2013-07-22, 15:42)aldin Wrote: and more powerfull?

Not with a Celeron, no.

(2013-07-22, 15:42)aldin Wrote: THE question is - isnt a waste of money??
instead of "all in one" in the HP with posible to slowly and loud noise from it - cheap

Only you can answer whether it's a waste of money. And depending on what you want from your "HTPC", you don't have to spend very much money - if all you want to do is watch videos, stream stuff from the internet, and don't mind waiting a bit longer than you would with an i7, then Pi's make very good (and cheap) XBMC clients.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Hard Disks spin only when used Wink
Only you can answer whether it's a waste of money. And depending on what you want from your "HTPC", you don't have to spend very much money - if all you want to do is watch videos, stream stuff from the internet, and don't mind waiting a bit longer than you would with an i7, then Pi's make very good (and cheap) XBMC clients.
[/quote]

" Pi's " you means the HP proloant yeahs?
in the preformance that u paste , is seems like the N54L is very good.

again, i want
1. download station - torrent
2. XBMX clinet - fast - run 1080P - without slowness at all in the interface
3. storage movies & series
4. stream to my house in wire net (maybe only to my XBMC clinet and the other nas device will stream to the house)

i thought that the HP will give me all of this in the cheapest solution.
you will also need to buy a Nvidia gt610 or 620 card (low profile)
(2013-07-22, 23:33)aldin Wrote: " Pi's " you means the HP proloant yeahs?

No, I mean Raspberry Pis as XBMC clients.

(2013-07-22, 23:33)aldin Wrote: again, i want
1. download station - torrent
2. XBMX clinet - fast - run 1080P - without slowness at all in the interface
3. storage movies & series
4. stream to my house in wire net (maybe only to my XBMC clinet and the other nas device will stream to the house)

i thought that the HP will give me all of this in the cheapest solution.

This is the first time you've clarified your expectations with regard to GUI performance, and given your wording you might be a little disappointed by the Raspberry Pi, although it would certainly play your 1080p media without a problem.

While the HP N54L will meet your requirements, you'll also need to fork out for a graphics card as the onboard graphics are pretty dire, and building an all-in-one solution that is both a good NAS and a good XBMC player (and a download server etc. etc.) can be a challenge, particularly at upgrade time (do you really want a bad XBMC upgrade to put all your data at risk?)
what do you mean that i "bad XBMC upgrade to put all your data at risk?"
(2013-07-23, 12:57)aldin Wrote: what do you mean that i "bad XBMC upgrade to put all your data at risk?"

If you're storing all your data on the NAS, and running other products on top of the NAS software, any one of those extra products could cause a problem which means you are no longer able to access your data. It's an extra risk you need to bear in mind, you're increasing the risk of downtime by mixing and matching unrelated software. That's why I like to keep a NAS as much as possible just a NAS.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HP Proliant Microserver - help+consulation0