Win Autosleep issue since Frodo v.12
Hi
I've been using xbmc since v9 and always have been using it alongside with windows for the easy configurations and great compatibility, today i use it on nearly 15 system all through my family and friends and have always been amazing and relyable.

With this said I have the issue with windows autosleep function after inactivity for "x" minutes, when I was using both eden and dharma I had it set up so that windows always put the htpc to sleep after a couple of minutes so that the tv+htpc didn't waste electricity without being used, never had an issue with this function.

Now since v.12 frodo this function isn't working accourdingly, i have the the screen set to go black after 1 minute and the go to sleep couple of minutes after that, but now the screen activates when it is suppose to go to sleep and this is the same on all then systems I have xbmc running on.

With sleep i'm talking about (cpu state c3) which can be powered on by a usb remote.

I have been mixing around with audioengine and have my thoughts on that beeing the issue but still haven't found the solution to remove this issue completetly, my last resort is to downgrade all system to v.11 but i really like frodo for other various reasons so that isn't my first intention.
I really see this as an issue and hope that either someone has the answer or someone can help me to workaround this matter.

/Macerob
What version do you have installed, 12.0, 12.1 or 12.2? Which out of Directsound or WASAPI are you using for your audio device? what are you connected to, AVR or TV?
(2013-07-22, 15:08)jjd-uk Wrote: What version do you have installed, 12.0, 12.1 or 12.2? Which out of Directsound or WASAPI are you using for your audio device? what are you connected to, AVR or TV?

I have 12.2 installed on most of my systems but 2-3 with v12 still but all have the same issue.
I've tried with both Directsound and WASAPI works sometimes with WASAPI but never with Directsound.
I don't see how the connected device is relevant but 2/15 have AVR and the other directly connected to the TV
Feel like i'm at a dead end ^^

But with the same configuration on v11 this was never an issue
Hi
@macerob : I'm using Frodo 12.2 and sleep instead of shutdown and it works fine, but I'm not using WASAPI (not configured yet). Also, connected to an AVR.
Try to create a new guisettings.xml and configure sleep again. Perhaps it can give a clue...
(2013-07-23, 12:56)nabz Wrote: Hi
@macerob : I'm using Frodo 12.2 and sleep instead of shutdown and it works fine, but I'm not using WASAPI (not configured yet). Also, connected to an AVR.
Hi nabz.
Do you mean autosleep after "x" seconds or the sleep function you put the computer in manually via remote press or the function inside windows or xbmc?
Because the sleep function works, it's the function that allows the computer to be put to sleep after inactivity that doesn't.
It's due the the new audio subsystem in v12 Frodo.

Summary of the status as far as I'm aware is:

If using WASAPI:

v12.0 - After a period of no audio then WASAPI should release the audio device and allow sleep to occur after a period of inactivity.

v12.1/12.2 - A bunch of fixes for Linux broke the release of the audio device on Windows so sleep can not occur after a period of inactivity.

If using Directsound:

v12.0 - Does not release the audio device however unselecting "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" in the Advanced tab for the audio device Properties in Windows should allow sleep.

v12.1/12.2 - Directsound should now release the audio device and allow sleep to occur, if not again try unselecting "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device".

Also experiment with disabling GUI sounds if you haven't done so already.

I asked about what you are connected to as that determines which mode out of WASAPI or Directsound you should be using and thus that could restrict your options. If you're connected to a AVR and require HD audio bitstreaming then you must use WASAPI, for any other usage then both Directsound or WASAPI can be tried.
@macerob: I mean "sleep after X". I use sleep after 25 min and it works fine
Quote:It's due the the new audio subsystem in v12 Frodo.

Summary of the status as far as I'm aware is:

If using WASAPI:

v12.0 - After a period of no audio then WASAPI should release the audio device and allow sleep to occur after a period of inactivity.

v12.1/12.2 - A bunch of fixes for Linux broke the release of the audio device on Windows so sleep can not occur after a period of inactivity.

If using Directsound:

v12.0 - Does not release the audio device however unselecting "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" in the Advanced tab for the audio device Properties in Windows should allow sleep.

v12.1/12.2 - Directsound should now release the audio device and allow sleep to occur, if not again try unselecting "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device".

Also experiment with disabling GUI sounds if you haven't done so already.

This really gave me alot more understanding of the situation and i will look into more about version and what audio output i'm using and see where i will go with that so thanks alot

Quote:I asked about what you are connected to as that determines which mode out of WASAPI or Directsound you should be using and thus that could restrict your options. If you're connected to a AVR and require HD audio bitstreaming then you must use WASAPI, for any other usage then both Directsound or WASAPI can be tried.

So WASAPI is the only option for HD audio output? Also new information for my ears Wink.
Is WASAPI the preffered option for overall use then or is there any pros with Directsound?

Thanks alot Smile
(2013-07-23, 14:16)macerob Wrote: So WASAPI is the only option for HD audio output? Also new information for my ears Wink.
Is WASAPI the preffered option for overall use then or is there any pros with Directsound?

Thanks alot Smile

Yes HD audio will only work with WASAPI mode if you want to bitstream TrueHD and DTS-HD for decoding on an AVR.

WASAPI is a higher quality mode as it bypasses the majority of the Windows audio layers so audio is sent straight to the audio device, all Windows does is manage the stream via WASAPI. When XBMC uses WASAPI it has sole control of the audio device, so if you were to minimise XBMC you would not get sound from any other application. This is why suspension of the audio device was introduced in v12.0, so the audio device gets released when XBMC is idle to allow sound from another applications, for example you might want to watch Youtube via the browser while XBMC is minimised and idle, however this audio suspension is broken in v12.1 & 12.2.

Directsound however allows Windows to have total control over audio so sounds from different applications can be mixed together thus no single application will ever have sole control, this can result in audio being re-sampled or otherwise interfered with by Windows so is generally seen as lower quality than WASAPI.

Something else that could be having an affect is HDMI Control (CEC), in some situations with this enabled automatic sleep can be prevented, check your AVR's/TV's for HDMI Control and disable for test purposes. Note that HDMI Control covers protocols that might have manufacturer specific names such as Veira Link, Bravia Sync, Anynet+ etc.
Thanks alot this gave me alot of understanding about the new features Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Autosleep issue since Frodo v.120