Remote Synology Video Library
Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find much on it through searching. Anyway, I have a Synology NAS system I use to store my movies, tv shows, etc on. I have it working fine on my system using SMB, plus it's located on my home network.

I have a friend that just built his first HTPC though & I wanted to allow him to access my NAS until he gets around to building his own as well. I can't figure out a way to do this - I've tried connecting though the Synology IP & URL, but neither seem to work.

Any suggestions on how to get this working? I feel like it has to be possible, but maybe I'm just using the wrong library setup or something like that.

Thanks!
SMB won't work over the internet for most ISPs. You can try making a VPN or see if the NAS supports another protocol.
Going out on a limb here..as what you are asking is if he can get to your Synology's streaming content.
Which would mean a whow lot of things to think about.
Bandwidth
Permissions
And the capacity of the Synology to stream content to the Internet. ie..decoding on the fly..

There is a way and I have played with it but it means you have to put a bunch of movies into the Synology photo sharing folder and it will decode then for streaming. .then he could access the movies/tv shows..using the Synology apps..(android apps) ie. give him a log in and off he goes..
Same for music..

Thats about as much as I have found out. As plex and xbmc as such are not going to allow you to allow him to access your internal lib..

Only other way is he pulls what he wants off you via FTP..

But then again..this info is from my limited research on the subject. Others might be able to chime in.
Hmmm, thanks for the replies. I actually thought it would be more doable than it sounds. Figured he could use my static external IP address, then just access the "movies" folder I have.

Guess I shouldn't assume such things!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote Synology Video Library0