Pre-built HTPC for my needs?
Question 
I don't want to build. I'm fine spending a bit more for the right system.

Musts:
- HD audio bitstreaming
- Playback of uncompressed BD rips (mostly MKV, some ISO)
- Playback of 3D BD ISO's (frame packed)
- OTA HD viewing and recording via HDHomeRun

Nice to have:
- Netflix
- Windows 7 vs. 8 (not a fan of 8)
- Home theater friendly form factor

Appreciate any recommendations.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
How much are you willing to spend? I think I could help point you in the right direction...

I know of a few different companies that basically walk you through the entire process so you don't have to do any work.
Up to $500, hopefully doable for this. Not including cost of TMT or PowerDVD for 3D playback in this. I believe an external player is required to play 3D ISO's via XBMC right? Thanks.
My HT
If you don't need an optical drive, this system with either the i3-3220T or i3-3225 option.

If you do need an optical drive, this system with either the i3-3220T or i3-3225 option.

You can have these completely built out for you with the RAM, storage (will you have local storage or will it be on a NAS?) and Windows 7 Pro if you don't want just the barebones.

For your features, you want the i3 since it supports full 3D and HD audio bitstreaming (as well as your other features which really any modern CPU will support).
Thanks, very helpful. Don't need optical drive; all my movies are on a Synology NAS. Was considering the Lenovo Q190, but appears it doesn't have enough horsepower for frame-packed 3D playback.
My HT
hdmkv - You should check out Assassin - that's what I did and the system would come fully configured for you to use quickly. None of the prices online will be in your price range so just give them a call...
(2013-07-23, 04:18)hdmkv Wrote: Thanks, very helpful. Don't need optical drive; all my movies are on a Synology NAS. Was considering the Lenovo Q190, but appears it doesn't have enough horsepower for frame-packed 3D playback.

There is (was?) an i3 version of the Q190 but I think it's pretty pricey for what you get because it uses an i3 mobile CPU. One of the desktop i3's would be a better value IMHO, especially since you can get it custom built according to the features you want for HTPC.
Thanks for the suggestions... I emailed ecosmartpc and I'm awaiting a reply. What do you guys think of this for my needs as stated above with Windows 7? Can I do better for this price? Thanks.
My HT
Reply sent! Smile
Thanks, appreciate your detailed reply. You may be biased Wink, but what do you think of the Zotac ID88 box I linked above? It comes with 4GB of memory and a 500GB hard drive.
My HT
I prefer the aluminum chassis of the E-i5 to the plastic of the Zotac, I'd rather have an SSD vs. the HDD and also the E-i5 barebones comes with a H77 motherboard vs. H61 in the Zotac.

But, most important, is which unit has the features you want and how does the price compare once you have it all kit'd out? That is what I would recommend basing your decision on and add to that your own preference (if any) for style.
Decided to go with an Intel i3 NUC. Thanks all.
My HT

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pre-built HTPC for my needs?0