Now TV box, rebranded Roku?
Hi all,

I just picked up one of these Now TV boxes for £10 delivered. I bought it on a whim hoping that some clever xbmc person had managed to put XBMC on it, from initial investigation it seems like it's not possible.

Just thought I'd mention it as £10 for this box if hackable looks like a deal and a half
Lounge rig: nVidia Shield - Official Kodi
Bedroom rig: Amazon Fire TV - Kodi 17.3
Backend: HP Microserver, Ubuntu, JBOD
It is a Roku just modded to remove all the competition Sky does not like e.g Netflix, Loveflim and so on.

There's no XBMC Roku so don't bother, it's a waste of money. Why bother buying boxes in the hope they will be hacked, there units you can buy that run XBMC with no hacks required like the Pivos XIOS, The Little Black Box or even the Ouya.
Pivos £70, Ouya £100, Roku LT here £10. I took a chance, it backfired. Very worst case distance selling regs it straight back.
Lounge rig: nVidia Shield - Official Kodi
Bedroom rig: Amazon Fire TV - Kodi 17.3
Backend: HP Microserver, Ubuntu, JBOD
(2013-07-26, 12:21)Starstream Wrote: It is a Roku just modded to remove all the competition Sky does not like e.g Netflix, Loveflim and so on.

There's no XBMC Roku so don't bother, it's a waste of money. Why bother buying boxes in the hope they will be hacked, there units you can buy that run XBMC with no hacks required like the Pivos XIOS, The Little Black Box or even the Ouya.

But it does run Plex.. £10 for a box that will not only play all your movies and tv shows but also has ondemand from iPlayer and ITV Player and 4OD via Plex is a total bargain.

How exactly is £10 a waste of money just because it does not run XBMC?, christ you sound like some sort of XBMC fanboy.
I don't think he's hating on the Roku. He's saying two things, one is that what makes the Roku great has been stripped from this box, and two, it's a dead end for XBMC. Normally Roku is an excellent box, and a lot of XBMC users also have Roku boxes to supplement their home theaters with additional streaming services.

At that price, I would be tempted to pick one up, even nerfed as it is. That's quite cheap.
For the record, we have no problem with people sounding like XBMC fanboys within the XBMC forums. I mean, if you can't be an XBMC fanboy here, where can you be one?

People are also fully allowed to hate on plex and roku here if they choose to.

:)
(2013-07-29, 22:32)Reser Wrote:
(2013-07-26, 12:21)Starstream Wrote: It is a Roku just modded to remove all the competition Sky does not like e.g Netflix, Loveflim and so on.

But it does run Plex.. £10 for a box that will not only play all your movies and tv shows but also has ondemand from iPlayer and ITV Player and 4OD via Plex is a total bargain.

How exactly is £10 a waste of money just because it does not run XBMC?, christ you sound like some sort of XBMC fanboy.

But it is a waste of money in the context of an XBMC hardware thread if it cant run XBMC on its hardware. Nothing to do with fanboying.
i bought one of these as well as i read the now tv box could be updated but apparently not this one i have managed to load plex on it but none of the channels work does anyone have a good tutorial on how to set the plex up correctly

and will the old white now tv box run xbmc
(2016-01-12, 00:07)nomic Wrote: i bought one of these as well as i read the now tv box could be updated but apparently not this one i have managed to load plex on it but none of the channels work does anyone have a good tutorial on how to set the plex up correctly

and will the old white now tv box run xbmc

No Kodi builds for the Now TV boxes AFAIK. (I heard very vague rumbles about side loading stuff a year or two ago - but don't think it came to anything)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Now TV box, rebranded Roku?0