Easy switching of online video quality
Currently, if a stream lags, you have to stop it, go to the plugin settings, change it and then restart playback. Why not just make a button with all availiable resolutions like on youtube?
ask the addon authors. Thiis is not a xbmc core feature.
The button is a xmbc feature, allthtough plugins must of cource suport it.
(2013-07-27, 17:25)ololoe Wrote: The button is a xmbc feature, allthtough plugins must of cource suport it.

It is NOT. Plugins decide this on their own.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-07-27, 17:25)ololoe Wrote: The button is a xmbc feature, allthtough plugins must of cource suport it.

It is NOT. Plugins decide this on their own.
Can plugins put their buttons on playback bar?
Plugins just provide an URL that xbmc plays. We cannot know if there is another stream. They can not add a button.
So what's wrong in this sentence?

You can add a possibility to a plugin to display a button with availiable video qualites.
(2013-07-27, 20:33)ololoe Wrote: So what's wrong in this sentence?

You can add a possibility to a plugin to display a button with availiable video qualites.
what is wrong with the sentence? you make it seem there is a button for that while there isn't one.
second there can't be a button because plugins only send ONE stream to XBMC and XBMC has no knowledge of there being more streams (i feel i am repeating myself again).
It's not just simply adding a button and be done. It requires a lot of changes in both XBMC as in plugins
So if some one cares he can't start coding it.
(2013-07-27, 20:44)Martijn Wrote: what is wrong with the sentence? you make it seem there is a button for that while there isn't one.
No, i'm not, i just point that it's XBMC's part to add a button and not plugins'.

(2013-07-27, 20:44)Martijn Wrote: second there can't be a button because plugins only send ONE stream to XBMC and XBMC has no knowledge of there being more streams
That's why it requires API extension.

(2013-07-27, 20:44)Martijn Wrote: It requires a lot of changes in both XBMC as in plugins
Not really lot. You just get a list of availiable resolutions from plugin, if it doesn'T support it - you don't display the button or display it disabled.

(2013-07-27, 20:44)Martijn Wrote: So if some one cares he can't start coding it.
I don't quite get it - you mean this feature will not be supported, if someone cares he can make all the job alone and share it with people who done nothing, or you just need a coder? If second - these changes mention C and python code, and one person can seldom program in C and python equally good, so probably noone can do or would do it alone.
(2013-07-27, 20:58)ololoe Wrote:
(2013-07-27, 20:44)Martijn Wrote: It requires a lot of changes in both XBMC as in plugins
Not really lot. You just get a list of availiable resolutions from plugin, if it doesn'T support it - you don't display the button or display it disabled.
you make it sound to ease while it's definitely not.
it requires interaction between XBMC and the plugin and it's not just as easy as "hey here's resolution list"

(2013-07-27, 20:44)Martijn Wrote: So if some one cares he can't start coding it.
I don't quite get it - you mean this feature will not be supported, if someone cares he can make all the job alone and share it with people who done nothing, or you just need a coder? If second - these changes mention C and python code, and one person can seldom program in C and python equally good, so probably noone can do or would do it alone.
[/quote]

indeed. that's the point of opensource. things only get done if a dev is interested in a feature. he doesn't have to known python as long as he clearly understand what he expects from a plugin
(2013-07-27, 21:05)Martijn Wrote: it requires interaction between XBMC and the plugin and it's not just as easy as "hey here's resolution list"
What is so complicated? Do you need an API proposal?

In case you need it:
Something like get_resolutions() gets the list of all availiable resolutions / qualities. If the user changes the resolution, a function inside the plugin is called (idk now how the plugin communication works).

(2013-07-27, 21:05)Martijn Wrote: indeed. that's the point of opensource. things only get done if a dev is interested in a feature. he doesn't have to known python as long as he clearly understand what he expects from a plugin
I'm trying to explain you that I alone would not do it since i'm not a C coder.

And opensource means only that the sources are availiable, nothing else. That doesn't tell something about code quality, or software quality, or if the developers are interested in other people changing their code, or whether people changing the code will contribute it back.

Collective work assumes open development. So, is your project ready to open development?
I'm not going to comment on the previous discussion, but instead present a different reason why this would most likely not be included in XBMC's core.

For a button to be included on XBMC's default skin for the on-screen-display, there needs to be a certain threshold for demand/utility. I do not believe that demand/utility is there.

Most add-ons that have multiple stream quality will give you the option to select which stream when you hit play, so you don't need to switch between qualities during playback. This is very easy to access and doesn't require reaching into the add-on settings every time. Most of the time the situation is predictable and does not require on-the-fly changes.

The idea in itself isn't bad I guess, but doesn't seem to fix a common problem. I rarely touch the button on youtube's website, except to push it to the max quality, because sometimes youtube likes to wig out on me and seemingly forget my preferences.

I've been trying to make a case for having the repeat video button on the default OSD, and I haven't been able to convince all of the Team members on that. With that in mind, I doubt this would reach the OSD.

Some way to keymap something or have it skinnable for non-default skins is more likely. Assuming a developer could be found to work on this.

I think better bandwidth detection and/or more add-ons allowing stream-selection before playback would cover most of the issue without a "during playback" switch.
(2013-07-27, 23:21)Ned Scott Wrote: Most add-ons that have multiple stream quality will give you the option to select which stream when you hit play, so you don't need to switch between qualities during playback. This is very easy to access and doesn't require reaching into the add-on settings every time.
Tried this imho on youtube - this annoyed like a fuck. Default setting is to change it in the plugin settings.

(2013-07-27, 23:21)Ned Scott Wrote: Most of the time the situation is predictable and does not require on-the-fly changes.
For videos - probably yes. I watch twitch streams and sometimes 1080p plays smooth, sometimes it lag and I don't know the reason. My internet bandwidth seems not to be the problem. Not every service has so fat channels like youtube.

(2013-07-27, 23:21)Ned Scott Wrote: I think better bandwidth detection and/or more add-ons allowing stream-selection before playback would cover most of the issue without a "during playback" switch.

Well, switching the quality on repeated lags can be an interesting option too. But it will require API extension too.
Not being a C dev myself (only know PHP etc) didn't stop me from digging into the C source code and contribute patches. Any dev with coding experience can at least read and understand many parts of other languages.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Easy switching of online video quality1