Advice on budget mITX build
Hey guys,

I've decided to take the plunge and upgrade from the Raspberry Pi I've been using for a year and a half to a decent HTPC. I already have a Streacom FC1 case which currently houses the Pi (through some nifty engineering), so I want to base my new system on that. Also, I kinda decided for Linux instead of Windows, as it should be gentler on resources and also enable me to share media using NFS (home network is wireless mostly, so flaky bandwidth most of the time).

Right now I have two options in front of me, an Intel build and an AMD build.

Intel build: Gigabyte GA-B75N with Celeron G1620

AMD build: GA-F2A85XN-WIFI with A4 X2 4000 or A4-5300

System will be used with 720p and 1080p material (most of if 24p, so I'm a bit worried about the Intel bug I've heard about), with the ocasional DVD now and then, but no 3D. Also, it's the main system for music (FLAC mostly), using the S/PDIF through a DAC. For this reason, it's important to be as quiet as possible.

What would you suggest be the best of the two?

PS: I'm considering a Gelid Slim Silence A-plus as it's the only CPU cooler small enough to fit the case.
For mini-ITX, unless you're using a huge case, I would stick with Intel. In building dozens and dozens of mini-ITX systems, I can say from experience Intel runs cooler. Part of that is a much better selection of low-profile coolers for Intel. The Gelid Slim Silence A-Plus is meh at best.

With the FC1, even a G1620 is going to run pretty hot. As recommended since it's a 65W part, you'll want two fans in push-pull. I haven't done this (I sell a similar case the Iwill SH-80) and found even a 35W i3-2120T ran very warm in that case.

Since you also need a power supply, I'd actually opt for a mini-ITX motherboard with on-board power like the ECS B75H2-TI. I've used the H61 version of that motherboard and it's great. Even though it's thin mini-ITX it comes with a full size I/O shield. You just need an AC adapter. IIRC, it uses a 19V 7.4mm*5.0mm which is the same as many HP and Dell laptops so AC adapters are easy to come by. I'd also use a mSATA SSD to reduce cabling and improve airflow.

I currently use the Dynatron K199 CPU cooler which is a side-blowing CPU cooler with the SH-80 and this motherboard. The Dynatron T459 is also a great option. I have just gotten the T450 to try and the new Zalman CNPS2X too. The ECS motherboard has very good software (eSF) for tweaking fan speed to keep it quiet.
Hi Dougie!

Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately, that ECS is nowhere to be found in my part of Europe, so it's kind of a bummer. Doesn't have S/PDIF either (although I have an HDMI Audio splitter so I might make that work). On the same note, I can't seem to find any Intel boards with integrated power, so I set my mind on getting a picoPSU.

Regarding the cooler, the Dynatron is too big. The Streacom case will take a 34mm cooler at best. Not many options there.

In any case, I was thinking about undervolting/underclock the CPU. Would that get me any performance issues?

PS: I have a Scythe Mini Kaze installed in this case and although the fan is ultra quiet on it's own, when installed you can hear the air through the case's holes... really annoying. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Jackson
Both suggested Dynatron coolers are 1U (28mm) but no idea on availability in Europe unfortunately.

Is the fan right up against the holes in the case? That's usually what causes that. I don't have a suggestion unfortunately. The SH-80 is different in how it mounts the fan and it doesn't have that problem.
I was looking over at newegg for the 199 and added up the heatsink and fan thickness and go tsomethink like 43mm, which would be too much. However, i could have misunderstood the sizes Smile

The other one is right up against the holes, so that's the issue. I might try feeding it 5v or something as it should work still.

What do you think about an integrated Celeron 1037u?
K199: http://www.dynatron-corp.com/en/product_...d=191&in=0
Overall dimensions: 85.0 x 81.5 x 28.5mm

For that case, the C1037U would be a great idea, especially running Linux. The C847 was awesome with Linux. The C1037U should be twice as good at least. I have a SH-80 with a C1007U sitting on my workbench right now Smile.

In this case, I'll go with the 1037 (no pun intended). I can get it for dirt cheap and build a really nice system.

Ps: i get it with the k199 now. Newegg were really strange in their description.

Thanks a bunch!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advice on budget mITX build0