• 24(current)
HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review
(2014-09-29, 21:19)fritsch Wrote: It will. Think of a 24p movie. When you get now 16 fps - that 16 * 1.6 = 25.6

It's a factor after all :-)

And that assumes the decode pony gain is linearly applied, 16fps -> 25.6 also means sw rendering works harder so you actually lose some ponies from the increased rendering.

In general, based on many years of struggling under h264 sw decode on low resource platforms, I've found one needs to realize a factor of 3-4 pony gain in the decoder to make the entire process usable. Kodi/XBMC tends to get very finicky running at max CPU. You need some head room.
It is not true when you are saying that 1.6x faster won't help. I tested file posted above and it won't play with xbmc but it will play wihtout any problmes with openhevc. So it helped a lot. Also in my case decoding was approx 2x faster, not 1.6 (core i7). I think that rendering is not very big problem, serious performance loss is on decoding, not rendering. I can't see any reason why displaying decoded hevc frames would be slower than displaying decoded h264 frames. Also, isn't it done by gpu?
Let me get this straight, you have an i7 and the openhevc made the difference between playing and not playing ? i7 have a huge pony factor. If so, then forget any software decode of h265 on anything but an i7 class intel box regardless of magic patches.
Of course, there is big difference between slideshow with shuttering sound and smooth playback. Regarding to benchmark, 2x faster fps. I posted it above, 2x faster decoding. My test file is very difficult for decoders but it shows than regular ffmpeg hevc decoder (also included in kodi) is not so good as it seems.
@da-anda, any chance that you can also trigger a test build for pull requests #5129 and #5493?

These together adds HEVC / H.265 support to AMLcodec in Kodi for AMLogic S805 and S812

Post a separate thread here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=206333

Hoping that this will both help testing and raise the interest of HEVC support on AMLogic SoCs
I've been trying 720p HEVC with Kodi Alpha 4 with my Intel NUC (Intel Celeron N2820) running Windows 8, and it performs okay 80 % of the time, except for the complicated scenes with lots of movement in the background. In those cases it starts lagging behind with the sound, until the scenes become less complicated again, and most of the times it catches up. I also tried VLC and Mediaportal, and those play the same files without any issues, except for some frame skips. But the video is never lagging with the sound. How come the performance differs so much? Do they use patched / different codecs, or simply a different configuration?
I tested the same samples (astra uhd and some my samples), hevc and hev1 on my chinese tablet: http://www.ainol-novo.com/pipo-p1-rk3288...-32gb.html

So:
- astra uhd ts sample (mentioned as broken, mhm) - plays good and very smoothly with system video player and MX Player on Android. Kodi (recent nightly) fails and unable to play it, no hw decoding at all.
- any hevc file created with ffmpeg (hev1) - failure, no hw decoding at all
- any hevc encoded file created with Handbrake - plays just fine, but not in Kodi, the same as #1 (including 4k DCI)

What to say, ffmpeg sucks on encode with its hev1 (yes, it's mentioned in hevc standard but should not be used from compatibility reasons). Kodi on Android sucks as well, at least on Rockchip devices, I don't have any other device with hw hevc decoding to test. I found many problems with h265 encoded using ffmpeg, many software and hardware are unable to recognize video codec "hev1", I have no idea why ffmpeg encoder uses this.

[edit]
I tested Kodi more carefuly on my tablet and it seems HW decoding doesn't work at all, even for h264, so good bye... Obviously, software 4k decoding is impossible in this case (even h264), it eats all cpu and gives slideshow instead of movie.
Regarding to Kodi on Android, hw decoding always sucks (sorry). MX Player is able to hw decode always, on Rockchip and even Mediatek. Kodi - not really, hw decoding platforms are very limited (as far as I tested).
hevc support for stagefreight/mediacodec has not been merged yet. There is a PR for, so you'd need a build that includes it.
It seems there is no hw decoding even for h264, at least on my rockchip tablet
Guys anyone with a nvidia 970 or 980 and a 4K capable monitor/tv tested anything?
There's no substitute for experience
Where are you guys getting your sample hevc files? I'd like to try it on my desktop and in kodi with an AMD 6600k
(2014-11-26, 10:53)bluechris Wrote: Guys anyone with a nvidia 970 or 980 and a 4K capable monitor/tv tested anything?
I have a GTX980 and a 1440p monitor (which ain't 4K, I know). But to test decoding... even a 1024x768 monitor should be enough. We are interested in decoding performance, not scaling, right?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Yeah just to see if the card does the decode, i have a 4790k clocked at 4.7ghz and it plays throw xbmc 4k demo files that i have but with cpu going limits in 4 cores (btw the HT cores are idle and i dont know why, maybe kodi ffdshow doesnt use them), anyway with software decoding from cpu side i play everything but using full cpu that's why i ask if a 970-980 does the work and makes cpu life easier...
From what i had read nvidia did hardware encode for h265 and a hybrid h265 decoding so i dont understand what is this.
I forgot to mention im with windows and latest nightly and 4k 60p tv.
There's no substitute for experience
the ht cores are idle cause there is no fpu for them to use.. just means you are utterly compute bound.
(2014-11-26, 14:14)ashlar Wrote:
(2014-11-26, 10:53)bluechris Wrote: Guys anyone with a nvidia 970 or 980 and a 4K capable monitor/tv tested anything?
I have a GTX980 and a 1440p monitor (which ain't 4K, I know). But to test decoding... even a 1024x768 monitor should be enough. We are interested in decoding performance, not scaling, right?
Sorry, I didn't understand. Was it an yes? Cause I've the same doubt of friend bluechris, about helix acceleration on these boards
  • 24(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review0