The perfect XBMC playback device?
Hey guys,

I've been using xbmc for years now. Started at the late stages of version 9 and have followed in through to Frodo. I'm loving the new developments. Anyway to the point.

As my media collection has development I've moved from a media server type PC next to the TV to a FreeNAS server hidden away in the house and a mini HTPC about the size of a shoebox. The server houses all the media, the HTPC is just a playback device. The network connection is 100Mbps EoP to the server. I've very fond of the fancier skins and love it when they work smoothly. I've tried using the Pivos Xios, but it seems to struggle a bit.

My ultimate goal is to have something on the scale of Apple TV/XIOS that has the guts to runs the fanciest of skins flawlessly and smoothly play 1080p video. Does anyone know of the perfect option?

Thanks
Upto SBS 3D & smooth menu's / fast boot - Celeron NUC

Full frame packed 3D& buttery smooth menu's / super fast boot - i3 NUC.

Bosch!

I have the Celeron NUC and its the best thing I've built for XBMC. Size of an Apple TV, quiet and fast. Love it!

If you want more ports / bluray capabilities. Look at the Lenovo Q190.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

This is why I postedSmile. I've never heard of the NUC but they look perfect.

Thanks jammyb
The one and only NUC thread - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=140534 best resource on it.

My NUC build - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=166886

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

+1 for Intel NUC. I'm no computer builder, but this was easy... pop in mSATA SSD and RAM, install OS, then XBMC. Done.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2013-08-02, 16:04)hdmkv Wrote: +1 for Intel NUC. I'm no computer builder, but this was easy... pop in mSATA SSD and RAM, install OS, then XBMC. Done.

Sod OS. OpenELEC all the way!!

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Celeron NUC + 2 GB Ram + mSata or USB drive + Centrino Advanced-N 6235 + PS3 media remote + Openelec 3.1+

That's probably the ultimate setup for something cheapish and small.
Ps3 remote eats batteries for breakfast ...
(2013-08-02, 17:56)solamnic Wrote: Ps3 remote eats batteries for breakfast ...

Hmm...

I have been trying to figure that out. Is it an Openelec bluetooth problem or a remote problem? People only seem to have battery issues if they are using it on anything other than a PS3.

Or maybe not... just read some more people who have battery issues. I still think it's a great remote. Maybe some rechargeable batteries would be in order here.
Get a harmony 300. Like £20 and can control 4 devices.

Mine does telly, NUC, digi box and HDMI matrix box.

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2013-08-02, 17:44)cwide Wrote: Celeron NUC + 2 GB Ram + mSata or USB drive + Centrino Advanced-N 6235 + PS3 media remote + Openelec 3.1+

Wouldn't Q190(assuming you can get it on sale for $250) be cheaper that this setup?
(2013-08-02, 22:08)milli Wrote:
(2013-08-02, 17:44)cwide Wrote: Celeron NUC + 2 GB Ram + mSata or USB drive + Centrino Advanced-N 6235 + PS3 media remote + Openelec 3.1+

Wouldn't Q190(assuming you can get it on sale for $250) be cheaper that this setup?

Let's see.
Celeron NUC: $165
2 GB RAM: $20
mSata 16 GB: $35 (ebay)
Centrino: $25
PS3 Remote: $15

Total: $260

Assuming you don't want bluetooth and are connecting via ethernet it is only $220 + whatever your remote costs. You could also take off $25 if you run from a USB drive to get under $200.

Like I said. I don't own it, but I still think that is the best value HTPC for Openelec if you want something small and sleek.
Q190 is slightly bigger.

When I got the NUC. The cost to build vs getting the Q190 was £5 difference.

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2013-08-02, 16:35)jammyb Wrote:
(2013-08-02, 16:04)hdmkv Wrote: +1 for Intel NUC. I'm no computer builder, but this was easy... pop in mSATA SSD and RAM, install OS, then XBMC. Done.

Sod OS. OpenELEC all the way!!
True, but need OS (in my case, Win7) for 3D ISO and Netflix.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
The Little Black Box has perfect XBMC playback

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The perfect XBMC playback device?0