Guidance on first HTPC build
Question 
I've been running XBMC off an old laptop (Windows Vista) for a while now. I've thoroughly enjoyed XBMC but have had issues with the laptop integrating well in my overall setup (receiver, tv, etc.) So I figured it's time to finally build (or buy) an HTPC.

I've been reading through the forums and the minute I think I know what I want to build I come across another thread that leads to more questions. I'm hoping that y'all could offer me some guidance on what to research further based on some of the goals / uses I have.

GOALS
1. Easy for my wife to use. (#1 priority) :-)
Simple enough for her to hit the power button, find what she wants to watch, and then power it down... all from the remote.

2. Fast, quiet and keeps cool.
A fairly quick boot time and smooth UI are important. We want a good experience using it and I've ran XBMC on some devices where the UI was sluggish and we ended up ditching that device.

If the devices requires fans (case or gpu) hopefully they're quiet or can be replaced with aftermarket higher grade fans or water cooling.

This will sit inside my media cabinet with other components so ideally it won't generate too much heat. I only use this to watch movies, tv shows, and play music. No gaming or other computing capabilities involved. My media is stored a a NAS / File Server.

3. Run XBMC on Windows or using OpenELEC.
We're also planning to get Netflix which is why I have the windows option but windows can be it's own pain. If netflix can seamlessly integrate with xbmc to make it easy on the family to use then I'll deal with windows. Otherwise I may just use openelec and get a roku device for netflix and other services.

4. Play video and audio through HDMI.
I don't want to mess with any other connections to my receiver.

5. Works with a remote. (See #1 above)
I currently have a Motorola NYXboard Hybrid but am more than willing to change that out. The kids have gotten their hands on it so I may have to replace it anyway. :-)

BUDGET
I don't really have one. Since i'm only using this to watch movies, etc. I don't need a powerful computer. On the other hand I want to ensure a pleasant experience (no lag, handles various video formats, etc.)

OTHER QUESTIONS
1. I'm assuming that i'll want around 4-8GB RAM and approx 32-64GB SATA/mSATA for the OS at most. Is that assumption wrong?

2. Based on various threads, I'm torn about the case. Do I go Intel NUC, ITX, microATX?

3. No idea which way to go with CPU, GPU (assuming onboard?), motherboard, etc.

4. Is it worth dealing with windows to integrate netflix (and probably hulu, vudu, amazon prime) with xbmc? Is the boot time that much slower than openelec?
intel nuc i3/celeron with simerecc ir receiver ( so that you can turn on/off with remote ) and flirc for xbmc controls with any ir remote
(2013-08-04, 07:08)verismo Wrote: intel nuc i3/celeron with simerecc ir receiver ( so that you can turn on/off with remote ) and flirc for xbmc controls with any ir remote

If I understand correctly, the Intel NUCs only have one front USB. The simerec doesn't control media so I would need two front USB ports... one for the simerec and one for the remote (flicr).
Correct about the simerec..for now. Supposedly they are working on a dual purpose IR receiver but thats a few months away.

I have a NUC i3 but do not have a simerec so I rely on sleep (S3) mode. Works great and boots up in a few seconds. Just make sure you get a remote that has enough power in the receiver to wake from USB - most MCE remotes do. Eventually, I might hook up the the Relay's on my URC MSC-400 to the internal switch leads of the NUC so I can turn it on and off remotely (I have it in a media closet similar to you) but since S3 is working so well now I am in no rush.

If you want to run it off Windows I would say 32 GB is a little tight. Might be worth getting 64 GB just to have a little breathing room. For OpenElec, its plenty.

One of my biggest goals was high WAF so I know where you a coming from. My advice - dont skimp on the parts. Get your self a fast processor and a good SDD/RAM to make the system as smooth as possible. This will let you use highly configurable skin to make it look good and you can remove as "unnecessary" choices as possible so it is a very simple yet elegant interface. Thats why I pick Aeon Nox - TONS of options for configuration.

Ernie
I did a little playing around with various builds to try and evaluate the cost vs features. I've listed them in my order of preference (so far).

HTPC microATX

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220T 2.8GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($47.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $499.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-05 00:56 EDT-0400)

HTPC Intel NUC

Storage: Crucial M4 64GB mSATA Solid State Disk ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Other: Intel Next Unit of Computing Kit with Dual HDMI, Gigabit LAN, Core i3-3217U DC3217IYE ($288.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $418.95
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-05 01:00 EDT-0400)

HTPC mini ITX

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220T 2.8GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($100.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Silverstone ML05B HTPC Case ($44.50 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 300W 80 PLUS Certified SFX12V Power Supply ($47.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $516.41
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-05 00:59 EDT-0400)

Perceived Pros / Cons
The microATX route offers me more upgrade / expansion options down the road if I want them. I have more USB 3.0 ports, etc. I can simply do more with this.

The Inten NUC does offer a smaller form factor packaged very nicely, however i'm limited to what it has. It is cheaper but I also have fewer ports, smaller storage (though I don't need much), etc. What I don't know is if it will be more quiet than the microATX option.

The mini ITX option just doesn't seem worth it. It is the most expensive and not as small as the Intel NUC.

Thoughts?
Any thoughts on these three options?

Are there any tweaks I should make to them?
Any of the 3 would do the job and then some. The NUC is nice but only if you are limited in space - or you just want to impress people with the tiny little box Smile. My closet is pretty packed so I wanted the smallest thing I could find. But I think you got it right - the other options will give you some more future-proofing. Also can put whatever fan/cooling option you want.

The NUC is quite - but if the room is dead silent you can hear the fan kick in. But in a real world situation you would probably never notice. But there are fanless options (dont no much about them):

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=437
http://www.minipc.de/catalog/il/1692

Ernie
I doubt you will need 8Gb RAM. 4Gb(2x2Gb) will do. Same with the SSD, 64GB is all you need with windows or openlec, unless you plan to install lots of programs
(2013-08-05, 14:06)aesalazar Wrote: But in a real world situation you would probably never notice.

Yeah, I figured with the NUC I wouldn't hear it in normal situations. I shouldn't distract from watching the TV and with kids in the house they're voice will always drown out the fan. :-)

(2013-08-05, 14:29)tboggie Wrote: I doubt you will need 8Gb RAM. 4Gb(2x2Gb) will do. Same with the SSD, 64GB is all you need with windows or openlec, unless you plan to install lots of programs

Yeah, I could easily drop down to 4GB RAM. I simply put the same set in each system to have a more direct comparison... but that's good to remember that even if I go the windows route 4GB should be plenty.

As for the SSD... I looked at smaller sized SSDs, but the price difference was small enough that I stuck with the Samsung. I have more confidence in the Samsung SDD than with the others... but that's just from experience with using the Samsung.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Guidance on first HTPC build0