Replacement for Motorola NYXBoard Hybrid??
(2015-02-26, 23:43)nickr Wrote:
(2015-02-26, 23:05)warrenfrost Wrote: So I've just ordered one of these :-

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-PC-Wirele...3a932509df

Not only is it very cheap, but it has trackpad like mouse capability instead of air mouse. This means you only use the mouse functionality when you actually need it - much better.

Will report back on what its like,

Woz

But butt ugly, looks like it was designed in the late 90s.

Personally, if it works well I couldn't care less what it looks.
(2015-02-26, 23:05)warrenfrost Wrote: [...] Which seemed perfect until I discovered (along with many others) that the air mouse functionality cannot be permanently turned off, which renders it fairly useless for XBMC use (for me anyway).

So I've just ordered one of these :-

Not only is it very cheap, but it has trackpad like mouse capability instead of air mouse. This means you only use the mouse functionality when you actually need it - much better.

This looks to be the same remote as the one I've looked at in my message above ( http://www.amazon.com/Aerb-Multifunction...B00K768DHY ), which doesn't seem to fit the bill: according to the specs it is an air-mouse (these seem to be popular with Chinese manufacturers although they are no more than a gimmick and quite useless for actual 10-feet control), and from reviews of people on Amazon (on the above linked item and a few other item pages of the same device with different branding) it looks like the air mouse auto starts if you press any of the buttons on the remote side - which will make it unusable.

Still, I'd like to hear your personal review of the unit.

Cheers.
I already have the unit that you linked to on amazon and yes it is an air mouse and I can confirm that it is not really suited to xbmc.

The eBay item I linked to I believe is not an air mouse (even though the description says it is) but has a kind of circular mouse pad instead. I'm hoping this will be much better to use with xbmc (I don't want the mouse capabilities at all), Fingers crossed!
Just to followup on my previous post, I did receive this

Luckily the description on Ebay was correct and it is not an airmouse, It has a circular squidgy trackpad if you need to control the mouse (I don't personally). The receiver is plug and play on a Raspberry Pi and range is excellent - easily 10 meters and no need to mount a line of sight IR receiver as it's 2.4GHz wireless.

After a bit of button customisation it works great with Kodi, The only real drawback (for me anyway) is that as the keys are arranged in a regular grid, you will need to look at the remote to find the key you want. I much prefer a remote where the keys are layed out in obvious positions or are of a unique shape (e.g. forward/back buttons on an MCE remote) so that you can 'feel' for the one you want.

So in conclusion, not bad but still not the Holy Grail of Kodi remotes. I will keep searching!!
I was looking for a replacement remote for my almost antique MCE remote (the first version)
I stumbled upon the Little Black Box V2 RF Remote (it looks a lot like a nyxboard), but it does not say if it comes with an RF receiver..
Anyone got some experience with using this remote together with a 3rd party USB-RF Receiver (on linux)?
I'm selling mine, 100% ok, shoot me a PM if you're interested.

https://goo.gl/photos/XP1TTAJYvPNRV3fy7
BTW, I'm currently using the C120 mini wireless remote with airmouse and qwerty keyboard as a replacement (actually in addition to the Nyxboard). There are a few different models with slightly different key setups, mine looks like this: http://m.geekbuying.com/item/C120-2-4GHz...41499.html (except that it's black and not yellow).

Pros:
- best Chinese airmouse/keyboard I've seen, in build quality and features
- airmouse is off by default, easy to turn on or off with a dedicated button, turns out after a timeout and gets temporarily disabled when you flip to the keyboard side (although locating a search box then flipping the remote without moving the cursor in the process requires some delicate acrobatics, do Netflix search is still a problem). All in all, the best airmouse implementation I've seen so far.
- no on-off switch, it's always on, and rather good battery life, I charge it every two weeks or so, and it takes a standard microusb charger like I have in the living room anyway for my phone.
- keys in the keyboard side are hard, so even if they aren't actually disabled when on the down side, you can't click them accidentally.
- the "media side" had useful home, menu, back and volume buttons in addition to the d-pad.

Cons:
- the "media side" has no media controls. I've learned to locate the space button by feel, so I can pause/play without turning the remote, but everything else requires going back to the keyboard side as remembering shortcuts.
- the keyboard layout is not really qwerty - it's kind of weird with O and P tucked in the fifth row near the space button.
- you can't type uppercase letters as the SHIFT button is used to trigger secondary characters on the letter keys, so you can't do"jump to by letter" on Kodi. There's other weirdness in the keyboard side, like - there's an END key, but no HOME...
- if you sit more than 2 meters from the screen, sometimes the receiver doesn't register the keyboard events - I have to point the remote at the screen while pressing the letter to get it registered, suggesting a bad antenna setup.
- weirdly, the "back" key on the media side is not backspace - I think it's an ESC, so if you use the media side to navigate the library, pressing back will work like the home button, and to go "up folder" you'd need to flip to the keyboard side and use the backspace there. The keyboard side has arrow keys, but they are hidden as SHIFT actions on letter keys, and because the keyboard side keys are so stiff, it's very uncomfortable to use a lot of SHIFT sequences.
- there's is no IR functionality - that I could find. When inspecting the device, it's easy to see it has an IR LED at the front, but I found no way to activate any IR features. Very weird.

Summary: it's a useful remote, even if as a secondary device to a real keyboard or a Nyxboard. I'm mostly using it as a better way to handle Netflix (and other mouse oriented apps) that I launch from Kodi - it's airmouse is much easier than the Nyxboard mouse support and it's often better than reaching for the full size mouse.
Anyone still using NYXBoard Hybrid remote to this day (like myself)? It was working pretty much OK-ish until recently when RF controller stopped working for KODI for some reason, out of sudden, not sure why. The IR for TV works fine, the RF also seems to transmit commands (red light blinking when any key is pressed in RF mode) however without any response from KODI. 

Anyone with same issue?

Also, I could not find this type of remote in supported input peripherals list, is there any way how to add it? (although it was working without it before, just using some random remote from the list)
(2019-12-04, 09:54)el_salvadore Wrote: Anyone still using NYXBoard Hybrid remote to this day (like myself)? It was working pretty much OK-ish until recently when RF controller stopped working for KODI for some reason, out of sudden, not sure why. The IR for TV works fine, the RF also seems to transmit commands (red light blinking when any key is pressed in RF mode) however without any response from KODI.
I didn't encounter this issue, and I've stopped using the NYXBoard a while a go (it was basically falling apart), but I do have a receiver (possibly more than one) lying around here, so if you think its the USB receiver dongle that is the problem, I can send you one over.

Its easy to check if the USB receiver is working (and there is just a problem with Kodi taking the commands, or sth) on Linux by running `sudo usbhid-dump --entity=all` - this will start a hex dump of the USB commands, so you can press some buttons and see if the dumps shows stuff happening (you don't have to understand it, just see that there is activity).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Replacement for Motorola NYXBoard Hybrid??0