Am I the only one?
(2013-08-10, 08:37)MilhouseVH Wrote:
(2013-08-10, 08:32)Rourke Wrote: I didn't find any advice from people saying I shouldn't do this.

Given the specification, size and cost of the Raspberry Pi, that should have been rather obvious.

The limitations of the Pi with respect to XBMC are widely known and acknowledged, don't blame the community for your own unrealistic expectations.

(2013-08-10, 08:32)Rourke Wrote: TL;DR don't use a Raspberry Pi for XBMC.

No, don't use a Raspberry Pi for XBMC if you have unrealistic expectations and requirements, such as running full fat skins and lots of addons.

I didn't had any experience with XBMC but knew it was a good piece of software. It's only obvious to the people that worked with XBMC before, I can imagine. I wouldn't say expecting a decent responsive UI is a unrealistic expectation.

I didn't say I expect it to run smoothly with a full fledged skin and addons, I said I want XBMC to run with that. In my experience the Raspberry Pi can't even handle all my hundreds of movies/tv shows with the default skin and no addons installed, which is pretty bad.
(2013-08-10, 08:42)Rourke Wrote: I didn't had any experience with XBMC but knew it was a good piece of software. It's only obvious to the people that worked with XBMC before, I can imagine.

Sorry, I thought you said you did your research.

(2013-08-10, 08:42)Rourke Wrote: I wouldn't say expecting a decent responsive UI is a unrealistic expectation.

And a decent response what you will get, unless you go crazy and load up heavyweight skins and addons.

(2013-08-10, 08:42)Rourke Wrote: I didn't say I expect it to run smoothly with a full fledged skin and addons, I said I want XBMC to run with that.

Yes, and I'd like the Raspberry Pi to run Windows 8 but in my experience it's not capable of that.

(2013-08-10, 08:42)Rourke Wrote: In my experience the Raspberry Pi can't even handle all my hundreds of movies/tv shows with the default skin and no addons installed, which is pretty bad.
I really can't say what you've done then, because with lightweight skins and just a handful of well written addons the Pi is capable of handling hundreds of movies.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2013-08-10, 08:49)MilhouseVH Wrote: Sorry, I thought you said you did your research.
Yes, I did, and as I said, no one in the communities I've did my research on (granted it were tech forums, not this forum) mentioned the problems that I mentioned.

(2013-08-10, 08:49)MilhouseVH Wrote: And a decent response what you will get, unless you go crazy and load up heavyweight skins and addons.
Then our definition of a decent response is very different. I guess this topic proves that most people aren't satisfied with the RPi + XBMC combo.

(2013-08-10, 08:49)MilhouseVH Wrote: Yes, and I'd like the Raspberry Pi to run Windows 8 but in my experience it's not capable of that.

You don't understand what I'm saying. I said I want that on my XBMC setup, I don't expect that to run on RPi though. I want to run that, so I went for a HTPC setup.

(2013-08-10, 08:49)MilhouseVH Wrote: I really can't say what you've done then, because with lightweight skins and just a handful of well written addons the Pi is capable of handling hundreds of movies.
I used the default skins that come with both OpenElec and RaspBMC and after indexing all my movies/TV shows and some reboots I didn't find the interface responding that well. It is doable, but smooth is something else in my opinion. But I didn't came here for troubleshooting, but to share my experience.
(2013-08-10, 09:03)Rourke Wrote:
(2013-08-10, 08:49)MilhouseVH Wrote: Sorry, I thought you said you did your research.
Yes, I did, and as I said, no one in the communities I've did my research on (granted it were tech forums, not this forum) mentioned the problems that I mentioned.

(2013-08-10, 08:49)MilhouseVH Wrote: And a decent response what you will get, unless you go crazy and load up heavyweight skins and addons.
Then our definition of a decent response is very different. I guess this topic proves that most people aren't satisfied with the RPi + XBMC combo.

(2013-08-10, 08:49)MilhouseVH Wrote: Yes, and I'd like the Raspberry Pi to run Windows 8 but in my experience it's not capable of that.

You don't understand what I'm saying. I said I want that on my XBMC setup, I don't expect that to run on RPi though. I want to run that, so I went for a HTPC setup.

(2013-08-10, 08:49)MilhouseVH Wrote: I really can't say what you've done then, because with lightweight skins and just a handful of well written addons the Pi is capable of handling hundreds of movies.
I used the default skins that come with both OpenElec and RaspBMC and after indexing all my movies/TV shows and some reboots I didn't find the interface responding that well. It is doable, but smooth is something else in my opinion. But I didn't came here for troubleshooting, but to share my experience.

If you used the default skin and it was responsive enough I think you hadn't set it up right or your expecting something unachievable. I have a few hundred movies and TV shows and when I click on movies it takes 2 seconds to go into the library and the artwork for each film appears in under a second.

Did you have you data stored on a USB stick ? Did you overclock ?
'Decent performance' is so subjective. To me, that is desktop grade hardware. For others, it is the Atom/E-350. And then there are people who are OK with the arm/rpi performance.
I use a class 10 8GB SD card. I did overclock in both OpenElec and RaspBMC. I tried booting from my NAS through NFS (so everything is considered "local"). My video sources are NFS. My library loads in about 10-15 seconds. At it's best it takes a little less then 1 seconds to go to the next movie. This is fairly acceptable, but it's not smooth. When I want to browse quickly though it it's pretty bad in my experience. This is all with the default skin and no add-ons installed.

But it comes down to what a11599 said. It's very subjective. My demands might be higher or too high. I know I ordered a nice HTPC setup which i'm thrilled to assamble.
(2013-08-10, 09:46)Rourke Wrote: I use a class 10 8GB SD card. I did overclock in both OpenElec and RaspBMC. I tried booting from my NAS through NFS (so everything is considered "local"). My video sources are NFS. My library loads in about 10-15 seconds. At it's best it takes a little less then 1 seconds to go to the next movie. This is fairly acceptable, but it's not smooth. When I want to browse quickly though it it's pretty bad in my experience. This is all with the default skin and no add-ons installed.

But it comes down to what a11599 said. It's very subjective. My demands might be higher or too high. I know I ordered a nice HTPC setup which i'm thrilled to assamble.

10 to 15 seconds to enter the library isn't acceptable as I say mine takes 2 to 3 at worst and artwork loads up as quick as I can scroll through the library. If you have a USB stick around try installing to it. Its Worth a try? Also with USB install you can overclock better I've got my CPU at 1000Mhz ram at 520Mhz and core at 460Mhz. I also have force_turbo=1 this makes the over clock stay on all the time voiding my warranty but I wasn't worried
(2013-08-10, 09:54)goujam Wrote:
(2013-08-10, 09:46)Rourke Wrote: I use a class 10 8GB SD card. I did overclock in both OpenElec and RaspBMC. I tried booting from my NAS through NFS (so everything is considered "local"). My video sources are NFS. My library loads in about 10-15 seconds. At it's best it takes a little less then 1 seconds to go to the next movie. This is fairly acceptable, but it's not smooth. When I want to browse quickly though it it's pretty bad in my experience. This is all with the default skin and no add-ons installed.

10 to 15 seconds to enter the library isn't acceptable as I say mine takes 2 to 3 at worst and artwork loads up as quick as I can scroll through the library. If you have a USB stick around try installing to it. Its Worth a try? Also with USB install you can overclock better I've got my CPU at 1000Mhz ram at 520Mhz and core at 460Mhz. I also have force_turbo=1 this makes the over clock stay on all the time voiding my warranty but I wasn't worried

Thanks, I'll try that. It would be nice if it would work as smooth as you say. I'll use it as a bedroom mediaplayer if this works well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Am I the only one?0