First HTPC Build open for criticism
Tongue 
Hi All,

Iv'e built quite a few Pc's in my time of which im most proud is my custom water cooled build which is way over the top, I know.

My HTPC build started when my Girlfriend no longer needed the PC i built her for her Uni studies which she barely used!
Parts i recycled from her build are

CPU - i7 2600k
SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB Max IOPS
PSU - Antec high current gamer 520w
RAM - 8GB (2x4) GSkill Ripjaws F3-12800CL7D
CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro H60
Mouse - Logitech Performance MX
KB - Logitech diNovo edge

So with that i looked into building the smallest possible HTPC Build i could only to realise that i wasn't happy with the limitations of a small case. Mainly Pci slots and Storage.
I played with the idea of NAS Server as well but decided against it as i could fit it all in a "all in one" HTPC Case.

So i went and bought the following parts

Case - Fractal Design Node 605
MB - ASUS P8Z77-M PRO Motherboard
ODD - Panasonic UJ-240 Blu-Ray DVD Multi Burner
Tuner - DigitalNow Quad DVB-T Receiver
Remote - Logitech Harmony Ultimate (Kick ass remote)
IR - Flirc
PCS-2 PC/HTPC Universal IR Remote Switch < This little beauty allows me to power on my PC by remote from an "Off State"

So all up some very nice parts and i'm currently looking into GPU. I know not necessary to have discreet graphics but i have the room in case and would like some extra HDMI inputs and once 4K Tv's come down in price i would like support for 4K resolution.

Currently running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and XBMC and Media Center.

Overall i very impressed with the case and highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for good sound insulation and premium look to blend in with their home theater.
Also the Logitech Harmony Ultimate is just amazing even though its expensive it gives you the option to hide your equipment behind cabinets as it uses RF to the hub and then IR to equipment. Also has Bluetooth for PS3 and Wii.

I will be lurking around the forums and look forward to meeting everyone.

Manfur.
Looks great,...not sure why you're open to criticism,......
The only criticism I have is,.........post pics,...would love to see this completed.
Thumbs Up 
(2013-08-06, 13:49)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: Looks great,...not sure why you're open to criticism,......
The only criticism I have is,.........post pics,...would love to see this completed.

Thanks, I was looking for some input and advice. Will try to post pics if i get time next week.
I like the fact that you decided to use the bigger case. Sure,..a mini-pc looks cool,..but as you stated,...you have to start cutting corners, and parts as a compromise.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First HTPC Build open for criticism1