• 3(current)
Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences
Yes, after playing around with it a bit last night, I found that it does seem to be PAPlayer that is having the issue. Problem is there for both wired and wireless. I have tried SMB and uPnP...same issue with both, but switching to DVDPlayer fixes the problem.

For anyone experiencing the same issue, I had to create an advancedsettings.xml file and put this in it...

<advancedsettings>
<audio>
<defaultplayer>dvdplayer</defaultplayer>
</audio>
</advancedsettings>

The file needs to be put in Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata
Hi folks,

First time posting on this forum. Please forgive me if my question isn't about XBMC, at this stage I'm trying to get my ATV520 up to date so I can actually fully discover XBMC.

I am having a problem with the upgrade and I was wondering if anyone else has come across this problem and if there is a work around (have been googling for a few days and this site is the only site I've come across with useful info on the ATV520).

I've downloaded the latest firmware from Geniatech website and changed the file extension as per their instructions (changed zip to img). I loaded the file on a USB key and plugged it into the ATV520. When I went to the Upgrade app, I could only see the SPI file and not STVMX file.

After upgrading the STVMX file, the unit rebooted and now when I go back into the Upgrade app i don't see any files.

Now I'm left at
Uboot version : 20130805.093715
Recovery version: 20130808.101301
Kernel version: 20130321.180136
Build number: v1.03.04MX01_20130327

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

TIA

UPDATE: Found the trick from the ATV1200 post. Had to hit the menu button 8 times in a row once I was in the Local Update section and all the update files appeared.
Weird, I've never heard of that trick but it's good to know. For me, I had to do the first update manually - I downloaded both FW files, did *not* rename them (left the extension as zip seemed to work), unplugged the atv520,plugg the usb key in, held down the reset button on the bottom of the unit while plugging in the power cable. The box will boot up for 10sec and then you let go of the reset button. It should boot into the manual update menu. Once I got the first update done I've used the update app shortcut since with no issues.
hello
i want to buy dual core atv520, i already own Pivos box.
i want to know if
-ATV520 can be booted directly into linux.where can i find the instructions??
-does it use the same linux image as Pivos?
-How is the wifi (better then wifi on Pivos box)??
-how much faster is this as compared to pivos?
thanks
no
no
same
2x as it's a dual core.
^^^ so this means atv520 is only good if you want to run xbmc on android.

editSadis atv1200 able to do all that?)
As far as I know there is no Linux build for the atv520. It is android only. I am not sure about the atv 1200 but given they have virtually the same hardware I'd say no Linux either.
Hello... I updated XBMC on my ATV520 to 12.2. It cannot connect to the DLNA server on a MyBook Live (could not do so on 12.0 either, though). MyBook runs Twonky (5.1.9). It does see the ATV520 as a media player named 'o2 Joggler'. I can connect to it via SMB, so I do not have a major problem, but like what DLNA brings to the product.

Another DLNA server (WDCLoud) is seen by XBMC and is fully functional.

BTW. Mediahouse does see the MBL as DLNA and is functional there.

Thanks.. cj
(2013-08-29, 02:27)saddie Wrote: As far as I know there is no Linux build for the atv520. It is android only. I am not sure about the atv 1200 but given they have virtually the same hardware I'd say no Linux either.

I have a pivos and jynxbox running on Linux and in my opinion the ATV520 on Android outperforms both of them as far as how it handles XBMC. Android is just an added perk that allows you to run some pretty cool apps while you are not watching anything. I just don't understand why people want to run Linux on a box where android is working fine. I can understand the need to run Pivos on Linux as it just runs ridiculously slow on android due to its hardware limitations.
This seems to be a brilliant little android box. I was a bit skeptical about android at first - I really wanted to put linux on the thing. But I have to say so far this unit is as fast, if not faster than my HTPC. I was surprised. Unless I get stability problems, I can see no reason to go to linux at all, but time will tell.
(2013-08-27, 19:32)ministerjee Wrote: hello
i want to buy dual core atv520, i already own Pivos box.
i want to know if
-ATV520 can be booted directly into linux.where can i find the instructions??
-does it use the same linux image as Pivos?
-How is the wifi (better then wifi on Pivos box)??
-how much faster is this as compared to pivos?
thanks

You cannot use the Pivos linux image for this box, but there are people working on a linux build for the atv1200 and atv520...no release yet.

The wifi is the same as any of these inexpensive little boxes...streaming 720p isn't an issue with a solid signal, put gets flaky with 1080p. It's best just to go wired with these boxes. The only device I have that will stream 1080p consistently over wireless is my LG TV, which gets about 165Mbps. The ATV520 tops out for me at 65Mbps.

When this box is hooked up to a wired connection, it doesn't choke on anything. Android runs great, XBMC runs great. A linux build for this would be nice, but the box runs very stable (and fast) without it.
thank you all whoever replied my post.one last question:
Is there any advantage to go for atv1200 over atv520? any major differnece between these twoHuh? Im guessing atv1200 wifi will perform much better then atv520 because of external antenna.(since i do not have the wired option).
(2013-08-31, 00:41)ministerjee Wrote: thank you all whoever replied my post.one last question:
Is there any advantage to go for atv1200 over atv520? any major differnece between these twoHuh? Im guessing atv1200 wifi will perform much better then atv520 because of external antenna.(since i do not have the wired option).
They are identical expect for few more input/outputs.

If you have no wired option you better go for ATV1200 or the new version with external antenna:

http://www.dbg.co.za/images/MED-ATV520E_A3.jpg
As far as my understanding goes, even with your signal at 100%, you won't be any faster with a single antenna. I could be wrong though.
Anyone managed to get a working CEC connection?

I had no luck with that, but i guess it's due to my HDMI cable
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences5