Ability to broadcast to other XBMC clients on a network
I currently use XBMC at work to display instructional videos to my employees in sign language. These instructional videos include all of our policy changes, new things coming up and anything related to our business. I also throw in advertisments the company produces about our product and various other things.

I would LOVE to see the ability to setup a single broadcast point and setup other stations as clients. As seen on the broadcast client, a specifically named file or directory would play whatever files or movies are located in that directory or in that name. A second directory would be read for local files that would be played.

The end result - The ability to produce a company wide video that is relevant to all departments while having the ability for each department to create their own additional videos to be included in the broadcast locally at that station or department. I could create the company wide video at my local station and put it into the BROADCAST directory and it would be replicated by all stations that are setup to receive it. Each Local Files directory would then be modified locally at that station.

>> BROADCAST > Local Files
One idea:

When you add a video source in XBMC, you can add more than one path using the side button that says "add". First path would be the global network share of "broadcast" videos, and the second would be either local or another network path that is unique to each department. Finish adding the source and XBMC would then display both paths as a single folder, allowing it to play all items, and you could also turn on random and repeat all.

However, when you add new videos you would want XBMC to stop playing so that it could see the new files and recreate the on-the-fly playlist (a.k.a. "Now Playing"). I guess a timer could be made, or even just reboot the XBMC boxes once or twice a day.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ability to broadcast to other XBMC clients on a network0