Win Quiet voices, loud music and sound effects
Hi,

I have a problem with XMBC on Windows. Almost all movies have really quiet voices while sound effects and music are loud. Every time I watch a movie I have to set the volume up so I can even hear the voices, but as soon as for example music starts to play I have to put it back down because it's very loud.

I have been looking for a solution for weeks. I searched this forum, I have tried everything from Windows HOW TO thread, but with no success. I also enabled Loudness Equalization in Windows (Sound Devices -> Enhancements) and it's slightly better.

When I play the same movie file via another media player (e.g. KMPlayer) it all works fine, volume is normal and balanced. But I love XBMC and I really don't want to stop using it because of this volume problem.

I have HTPC running Windows 8 connected via HDMI to my Sony TV with no external speakers. My current settings in XMBC is:
Audio output - Analog
Speaker Configuration - 2.0
Boost volume on downmix - enabled (does not seem to make a difference though)
Audio output device: DirectSound (when using WASAPI the issue is much worse)

Thank you in advance. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
i am sorry that i cannot remember the name of the add-on, but in the add-on section of these forums, there was an add-on that performed real-time audio normalisation i think.

while this is not really what your after, it may certainly help.

i am also not sure weather this method will work for digital audio, or if you may need to switch to analogue audio .

hope this helps,
D.
I had the same problem. I fixed it by clicking on audio button while playing the video and enabling passthrough.

Hope this helps
I don't know if I was seeing the same thing, I never played videos outside of Kodi. But I've found 2 other places to check for variations in audio levels.

You can check the OS audio, there are some that have "loudness equalization"

Here's a link to a site that talks about it. http://www.howtogeek.com/115656/3-ways-t...n-your-pc/

Also, some TVs have an 'auto' audio setting. This was my most recent issue. Once I disabled it, the volume levels quit changing during playback.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Quiet voices, loud music and sound effects0