• 18(current)
[RELEASE] Chrome Launcher
(2014-12-30, 06:23)SamBotte Wrote:
(2014-12-28, 10:04)sirhcjw Wrote: I just tried removing openbox but now i get the chrome window off center and I can see kodi down the left side of my screen.

Try to turn off the option to use a custom script in Chrome Launcher addon settings.

Good thought but I tried that and same result only my remote no longer works eithe then as my script calls irexec to catch the remote calls.
(2014-12-30, 11:45)sirhcjw Wrote:
(2014-12-30, 06:23)SamBotte Wrote:
(2014-12-28, 10:04)sirhcjw Wrote: I just tried removing openbox but now i get the chrome window off center and I can see kodi down the left side of my screen.

Try to turn off the option to use a custom script in Chrome Launcher addon settings.

Good thought but I tried that and same result only my remote no longer works eithe then as my script calls irexec to catch the remote calls.

Ok I have now solved this issue.

It turned out to be some openbox thing I swapped over to using blackbox instead of openbox and now it works fine.
I have a fix for an issue in Chrome Launcher. I found it in NetfliXBMC originally. As far as I know this is a Windows only issue

The issue is that if you launch Chrome in Windows where Chrome wasn't previously opened, and then close and attempt to open XBMC it will fail to launch. What I determined was that was still a thread of XBMC open and thus the xbmc.log file would still be locked, preventing a new instance from launching. The XBMC thread remained open because Chrome Launcher uses os.Popen() to create a subprocess. Until the subprocess (Chrome) is still running, XBMC won't fully close.

The solution is to modify Chrome Launcher so that it creates a new process instead of a subprocess. You do this by setting the creationflag CREATE_NEW_PROCESS_GROUP and closing the File Descriptor in the Popen call.

Code:
subprocess.Popen(fullUrl, shell=False, creationflags=0x00000008, close_fds = True)

The same problem occurs in NetfliXBMC with the NetfliXBMC_Utility.exe. It often fails to close properly and thus prevents XBMC from launching until you kill the process.

Here is a link to my fixed default.py: http://pastebin.com/R8uJj7xM
This plugin it will launch the Google Chrome browser?

Is it compatible with Kodi 14?

I do not find this plugin in Kodi? Where to find the plugin?

thank you very much
OK, I tried installing both blackbox and openbox and calling them as described in the scripts earlier in the thread. Still no matter what I do (Chrome Launcher by itself, or NetfliXBMC) I am getting the browser window on the left side of the screen only. Nothing helpful in the logs that I can see, although I could post them.

For anyone who has this working in Kodi 14.0/Ubuntu without launching a window manager, can you give any more information about any other settings you changed from the defaults? Or if it works with openbox or blackbox, what other configuration has to be done besides just installing the package (and exporting DISPLAY variable)?
Hi,

same from "blandoon" for me. Chrome Launcher Script is only shown on the left side. Also when i install firefox and set this instead of google-chrome. Same.
When i remove the lines which open and kill openbox, chrome runs in background only.
Also i get absolutely no audio output inside the browser. NetfliXBMC also not workin.

I run todays nightly.

LG
To get NetfliXBMC to work on my fresh kodibuntu install I did the following:
- install chrome (from deb file)
- install blackbox (to fix the fullscreen issue)
- disable "keep audio device alive" and disable "play GUI sounds" (to fix no sound issue)

using the following script:
Code:
blackbox &
google-chrome "$@"
killall blackbox

This works fine on my device.
i found our issue.

Helix has dropped use of SDL in leu of direct X11;

i've confirmed this in http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=213257

as a result the old script will no longer work in the same manner.

here's the new fix i came up with for XBMCbuntu.

you need to edit a script to run a window manager before Kodi launches. if this is done, everything works seamlessly again.

edit /usr/bin/kodi-standalone and add this line,

Code:
openbox &

right after the

Code:
#  http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

line, so the full script reads:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

#      Copyright (C) 2009-2013 Team XBMC
#      http://xbmc.org
#
#  This Program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
#  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
#  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
#  any later version.
#
#  This Program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
#  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
#  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
#  GNU General Public License for more details.
#
#  You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
#  along with XBMC; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to
#  the Free Software Foundation, 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.
#  http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

openbox &

APP=Kodi
prefix="/usr"
exec_prefix="${prefix}"
bindir="${exec_prefix}/bin"
bin_name=kodi
APP="${bindir}/${bin_name} --standalone $@"

PULSE_START="$(which start-pulseaudio-x11)"
if [ -n "$PULSE_START" ]; then
  $PULSE_START
else
  PULSE_SESSION="$(which pulse-session)"
  if [ -n "$PULSE_SESSION" ]; then
    XBMC="$PULSE_SESSION $XBMC"
  fi
fi

LOOP=1
CRASHCOUNT=0
LASTSUCCESSFULSTART=$(date +%s)

while [ $(( $LOOP )) = "1" ]
do
  $APP
  RET=$?
  NOW=$(date +%s)
  if [ $(( ($RET >= 64 && $RET <=66) || $RET == 0 )) = "1" ]; then # clean exit
    LOOP=0
  else # crash
    DIFF=$((NOW-LASTSUCCESSFULSTART))
    if [ $(($DIFF > 60 )) = "1" ]; then # Not on startup, ignore
      LASTSUCESSFULSTART=$NOW
      CRASHCOUNT=0
    else # at startup, look sharp
      CRASHCOUNT=$((CRASHCOUNT+1))
      if [ $(($CRASHCOUNT >= 3)) = "1" ]; then # Too many, bail out
        LOOP=0
        echo "${APP} has exited uncleanly 3 times in the last ${DIFF} seconds."
        echo "Something is probably wrong"
      fi
    fi
  fi
done

this will fix focus and 'displaying a 1/4 screen in the corner' issues. to fix sound issues, i had to unpin the apt pinning that blacklists pulseaudio and install pulseaudio.
Hi,

i can confirm XiRos Post #262 that blackbox is working well. But the sound issue is not solved.

The modification from robhodge in #263 wont work on my device. Openbox starts only in background.

Greets

robhodge what do you mean with
"i had to unpin the apt pinning that blacklists pulseaudio and install pulseaudio"

how do i do it?
(2015-01-02, 11:14)5kyy Wrote: Hi,

i can confirm XiRos Post #262 that blackbox is working well. But the sound issue is not solved.

The modification from robhodge in #263 wont work on my device. Openbox starts only in background.

Greets

robhodge what do you mean with
"i had to unpin the apt pinning that blacklists pulseaudio and install pulseaudio"

how do i do it?

openbox is supposed to run in the background; it manages focus and gives it to the next program opened and returns it to XBMC upon exit. you won't see anything different untill you launch a second program such as chrome. a way to check if it is running is to use alt-tab to try to switch; if openbox is running you'll see a box showing xbmc as an option.

also, this will not change anything unless you log out and log back in. did you do that?

apt-pinning is done in /etc/apt by the XBMCbuntu team, to prevent an update to the underlying OS from installing it. there's some features they don't like, specifically with people who want no resampling to occur. however, i've found that since i have an older analog stereo the trade off is worth it for it to just work with my soundcard since it doesn't do hardware dmux and can only handle one input at a time.
Hello,
thank you, after relogin that runs with the original chrome-launcher config file and openbox.
For the sound issue i found pulseaudio.pref in /etc/apt/preferences.d and unkommented all 3 lines.
After a apt-get update and apt-get install pulseaudio i only get:
Code:
Die folgenden Pakete haben unerfüllte Abhängigkeiten:
pulseaudio : Hängt ab von: libasound2-plugins ist aber nicht installierbar
              Empfiehlt: pulseaudio-module-x11 soll aber nicht installiert werden
              Empfiehlt: gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio soll aber nicht installiert werden
              Empfiehlt: rtkit soll aber nicht installiert werden
              Empfiehlt: pulseaudio-utils
E: Probleme können nicht korrigiert werden, Sie haben zurückgehaltene defekte Pakete.
Greets

Okay it works now. I had also unkomment the lines in libasound2-plugins.pref...
THANK YOUUU
Ups.
After a few restarts a have in the complete system no sound. In Audio Setup are 3 entries from Pulseaudio now. My Optical Receiver gets no data.
If i deinstall the pulseaudio, all works well excep Netflix...
LG

Added 1
Okay i found out, that only after second restart no audio is working after this one for all restarts. Then i have to remove pulseaudio to get it to work.
I´ve read that i have to setup pavucontrol. I installed it but how can i display the GUI?

When i got with STRG ALT F2 to terminal and type "openbox pavucontrol" nothing happens?

Added 2
Oh my god what a fight. I wrote an own startscript which opens openbox before and runs this with advanced launcher. Now i can setup all right...
I installed the latest Kodibuntu on a HP Chromebox. I have the latest up to date chrome browser, I installed and setup Chrome Launcher and I have a crashing problem in Netflix. It will launch and start to play then just lock up my box and I have to do a hard reset. If I open Chrome in Lubuntu Netflix will play fine with no problems. Is there something I need to add to the Kodi setup that it is not getting from the OS when launched via Chrome Launcher? As of now I am starting the C-Box in OS mode then starting Kodi from it instead of booting to Kodi directly. I am very new to the Kodi and Linux os so any help would be great.
Main Kodi Build
HP Chromebox Intel Celeron 4gb mem 128 SSD
Libreelec 010 Kodi 17.

Test Builds
Gen 1 Compute Stick 32gb Version NO WINDOWS
Gen 2 Compute Stick X5 Version Cherry Trail

Future Builds
Gen 2 Compute Stick m5
RPi 3
Does it work with the Fire TV? installed a chrome Apk and the launcher? Didnt worked. I guess it is not Supported?
I installed the latest Kodibuntu on a HP Chromebox. I have the latest up to date chrome browser, I installed and setup Chrome Launcher and I have a crashing problem in Netflix. It will launch and start to play then just lock up my box and I have to do a hard reset. If I open Chrome in Lubuntu Netflix will play fine with no problems. Is there something I need to add to the Kodi setup that it is not getting from the OS when launched via Chrome Launcher? As of now I am starting the C-Box in OS mode then starting Kodi from it instead of booting to Kodi directly. I am very new to the Kodi and Linux os so any help would be great.
Main Kodi Build
HP Chromebox Intel Celeron 4gb mem 128 SSD
Libreelec 010 Kodi 17.

Test Builds
Gen 1 Compute Stick 32gb Version NO WINDOWS
Gen 2 Compute Stick X5 Version Cherry Trail

Future Builds
Gen 2 Compute Stick m5
RPi 3
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Chrome Launcher8