• 27(current)
[RELEASE] Chrome Launcher
I have sound on mine, Chrome Launcher.
I have deactivated navigation sound in Kodi, and something else. Can`t remember right now. Not at home.

Do you have a link to the Alelec repo?
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767
You can get the Alelec repo here www.alelec.net/kodi/repository.alelec.zip .

I ended up installing pulseaudio to get the sound working and now it works fine. But I've lost bitstreaming in Kodi. Is it even possible to get sound in Chrome to work with Alsa?
Hi

If I changed the top_margin and added the left_margin and this two lines:
prefs_window_placement['left'] = left_margin
prefs_window_placement['right'] = width-left_margin

It wont start at all, error in script. If I just keep the top_margin it starts, but just half the screen as always.
So this did not help me :-(

The edit in size in normal Lubuntu session still works. But can`t have set it to use "Use own user profile".

But still don`t read commands from my IR receiver.
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767
I discussed this issue with corona the other day. Fullscreen won't work for him without top_margin, and it won't work for me with it. Obviously very environment-dependent. He thought maybe he should add user settings for the values and I agreed that would probably be best. Then we can each play around until we find what works in our setup. Hopefully that will appear in a forthcoming upgrade.
-- Steve

"I just wanted a media center, not a hobby!"

HW: CPU - Intel Core i3-4130T, RAM - 4GB, Storage: 640GB, TV Tuner - HDHomeRun Connect x3
SW: OS - LibreELEC, Media Center - Kodi 18.5, Skin - Amber, PVR - TVHeadend
Hi guys, it's been said a hundred times already. Stop with the masochistic facepalm exercise and just use a 10kb wm, and be done with it. You might get it to work without it, but as soon as you use the chrome plugin to facilitate remote control, the chrome window will resize itself to half of the screen or some other random size. Even Openelec use a wm, it is the right way to launch external programs. (Not just Chrome, emulators and other programs too.
I've put together a guide to use kodibuntu + openbox in my steam launcher thread if anyone is interested - just skip over the parts relating to steam.
(2015-05-06, 02:08)Soli Wrote: Hi guys, it's been said a hundred times already. Stop with the masochistic facepalm exercise and just use a 10kb wm, and be done with it. You might get it to work without it, but as soon as you use the chrome plugin to facilitate remote control, the chrome window will resize itself to half of the screen or some other random size. Even Openelec use a wm, it is the right way to launch external programs. (Not just Chrome, emulators and other programs too.

Actually, it really is working just fine for me, including with the chrome plugin.
-- Steve

HW: CPU - Intel Core i3-4130T, RAM - 4GB, Storage: 640GB, TV Tuner - HDHomeRun Connect x3
You are manually editing a netflixbmc preferences files and editing source code of chrome launcher? What happens if you launch chrome by itself? Or open chrome in a a desktop session? And are you positively sure you are getting a pixel by pixel no resized window of chrome?

All this when the solution is right in front of you? Also you are not using Kodibuntu but a custom setup, which means what works for you probably wont work for anyone else, whereas using a wm is a universal way of doing it right in the first place.
(2015-05-06, 12:01)Soli Wrote: You are manually editing a netflixbmc preferences files and editing source code of chrome launcher? What happens if you launch chrome by itself? Or open chrome in a a desktop session? And are you positively sure you are getting a pixel by pixel no resized window of chrome?

To launch chrome standalone I have to switch to the Lubuntu session. Chrome preferences for that session are saved to a different file, as I indicated in my early posts. Those preferences do not affect the preferences used in the Kodi session.

(2015-05-06, 12:01)Soli Wrote: All this when the solution is right in front of you? Also you are not using Kodibuntu but a custom setup, which means what works for you probably wont work for anyone else, whereas using a wm is a universal way of doing it right in the first place.

How am I not using Kodibuntu? Kodibuntu installed and gave me a Kodi session (default) and a Lubuntu session. Everything I am talking about here relates to the Kodi session. The only changes I have made are to install a few extra tools like MakeMKV. If I have to install a wm, then why use Kodibuntu at all?
-- Steve

(2015-05-06, 23:09)sblack55 Wrote: To launch chrome standalone I have to switch to the Lubuntu session. Chrome preferences for that session are saved to a different file, as I indicated in my early posts. Those preferences do not affect the preferences used in the Kodi session..
So somehow Netflixbmc works properly (after doing som hacky stuff) but launching Chrome from Chrome Launcher does not? Last time I checked this thread is called "Chrome Launcher", so in the spirit of this thread you have solved exactly nothing. Also, the same preferences are supposed to be used in both the kodi session and lubuntu session.

Quote:How am I not using Kodibuntu? Kodibuntu installed and gave me a Kodi session (default) and a Lubuntu session. Everything I am talking about here relates to the Kodi session. The only changes I have made are to install a few extra tools like MakeMKV.
Sorry, I thought you wrote something about using a minimal ubuntu 14.10 with Kodi. Maybe it was another user.

Quote:If I have to install a wm, then why use Kodibuntu at all?
I don't see any logic at all in your reasoning. You don't need a wm if all you are running is Kodi. If you want to launch external programs from Kodi that rely on a wm to function properly, then you use a wm. Failure to do so, and instead manually edit various files to get a half-assed solution, is really like voluntarily pissing on an electric fence.

(For the same reasons, OE includes a wm that Kodi runs on top)
(2015-05-07, 04:09)Soli Wrote: So somehow Netflixbmc works properly (after doing som hacky stuff) but launching Chrome from Chrome Launcher does not? Last time I checked this thread is called "Chrome Launcher", so in the spirit of this thread you have solved exactly nothing. Also, the same preferences are supposed to be used in both the kodi session and lubuntu session.

My only use for Chrome Launcher is Netflix, so I didn't automatically think of it. Now I've tried it with the supplied YouTube and Vimeo targets. It positioned the Chrome window top left with what looks like 60 pixel margins on bottom and right. Then going back to Netflix, I got my full sreen window back Haven't had time to look for the differences. (And actually I now realize that Netflix is off by 1 or 2 pixels bottom and right, where the Kodi screen peeks through. I had thought this was an intermittent anomaly, but I now realize it is constant.)

(2015-05-07, 04:09)Soli Wrote: Sorry, I thought you wrote something about using a minimal ubuntu 14.10 with Kodi. Maybe it was another user.

Yes, someone else.

(2015-05-07, 04:09)Soli Wrote: I don't see any logic at all in your reasoning. You don't need a wm if all you are running is Kodi. If you want to launch external programs from Kodi that rely on a wm to function properly, then you use a wm. Failure to do so, and instead manually edit various files to get a half-assed solution, is really like voluntarily pissing on an electric fence.

Given the evidence I've seen and reported, I still don't agree that the wm is required. Seems to be working without it, albeit with some tweaks left to be worked out.

(2015-05-07, 04:09)Soli Wrote: (For the same reasons, OE includes a wm that Kodi runs on top)

Are you implying that OE can run Chrome? I was of the impression it could not, hence the switch to Kodibuntu.
-- Steve

(2015-05-08, 19:26)sblack55 Wrote: My only use for Chrome Launcher is Netflix, so I didn't automatically think of it. Now I've tried it with the supplied YouTube and Vimeo targets. It positioned the Chrome window top left with what looks like 60 pixel margins on bottom and right. Then going back to Netflix, I got my full sreen window back Haven't had time to look for the differences. (And actually I now realize that Netflix is off by 1 or 2 pixels bottom and right, where the Kodi screen peeks through. I had thought this was an intermittent anomaly, but I now realize it is constant.)

Quote:Given the evidence I've seen and reported, I still don't agree that the wm is required. Seems to be working without it, albeit with some tweaks left to be worked out.

Everything works, but the non maximized window sizes are a constant annoyance. It's not because of bugs in the netflixbmc/chrome launcher plugins, but because of a missing wm. And as you've experienced: Even if yo somehow manage to manually edit the window sizes in the preferences file, the Windows sizes are still off by 1-2 pixels. This constant annoyance is just not worth it, but YMMV.

Quote:Are you implying that OE can run Chrome? I was of the impression it could not, hence the switch to Kodibuntu.
I didn't, but not now that you mention it: Somebody did manage to build Chromium as an OE addon, with both widewine and vaapi support. It works flawlessly. Take a look at the the last pages of the netflixbmc thread.
(2015-05-08, 21:54)Soli Wrote: Everything works, but the non maximized window sizes are a constant annoyance. It's not because of bugs in the netflixbmc/chrome launcher plugins, but because of a missing wm. And as you've experienced: Even if yo somehow manage to manually edit the window sizes in the preferences file, the Windows sizes are still off by 1-2 pixels. This constant annoyance is just not worth it, but YMMV.

Yes. I've just done some more tweaking and, although it looked truly fullscreen once, the 1-2 pixel gap did return and I cannot make it go away with any obvious code or setting changes. I then removed all changes from default.py and started from Lubuntu session where the Preferences are arbitrarily small, and I do, in fact, get true full-screen every time. I am now setup to autostart from Lubuntu session.

So Kodibuntu offers no advantage except pre-installed Kodi.

And after all that...

(2015-05-08, 21:54)Soli Wrote: I didn't, but not now that you mention it: Somebody did manage to build Chromium as an OE addon, with both widewine and vaapi support. It works flawlessly. Take a look at the the last pages of the netflixbmc thread.

Chromium now does Netflix on OE! I have always thought OE looked like the best way to run Kodi, but it was unusable without Netflix. Now I'll have to see if anyone has gotten MakeMKV working on it. If so I'll start looking to make the switch.

Thanks for sticking with me!
-- Steve

I apologize if this has already been answered as i have read about 5 pages so far and i am still learning what my options are.

I installed openelec latest stable build on a thumb drive as oppressed to reformatting my windows xp computer in favor of buying my own copy of windows 8 to have the latest version of Kodi for playing movies in the bedroom.

Did i basically screw myself out of getting Netflixbmc to work on Kodi? I tried the openelec chromium addon that was referenced but that fails to load at entirely even after successfully installing it. Says it is enabled, i go to launch and nothing happens, not even the usual " working...." In the bottom right corner, nada. I do have chrome browser installed on the windows xp drive but i have no way to point netflixbmc or chrome launcher to that location.

Can some one more experienced point me in the right direction.
(2015-05-09, 02:22)headcreep Wrote: I apologize if this has already been answered as i have read about 5 pages so fast and i am still learning what my options are.

I installed openelec latest stable build on a thumb drive as oppressed to reformatting my windows xp computer in favor of buying my own copy of windows 8 to have the latest version of Kodi for playing movies in the bedroom.

Did i basically screw myself out of getting Netflixbmc to work on Kodi? I tried the openelec chromium addon that was referenced but that fails to load at entirely even after successfully installing it. Says it is enabled, i go to launch and nothing happens, not even the usual " working...." In the bottom right corner, nada. I do have chrome browser installed on the windows xp drive but i have no way to point netflixbmc or chrome launcher to that location.

Can some one more experienced point me in the right direction.

Debug log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
  • 27(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Chrome Launcher8