• 1(current)
A call for skinners to help Confluence
Basic gist of the situation is this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=169887

We have this new settings level mode in Gotham that is switched in the sidebar, used to exposed different levels of settings (basic, expert, advanced, etc). IMO, it needs to be taken out of the sidebar, and whatever UI control is used should also indicate the current level, as well as being easily identified as a level switch/button/selector.

However, Jezz_X has informed the team that he has less time to work on Confluence right now. Since I am no skinner myself and wouldn't know where to start, I thought it would be a good idea to appeal to the community for this.

Any thoughts, ideas, proposals, or pull requests for this would be greatly appreciated. It's a small issue, but one that will confuse a lot of users if it goes in as-is.
Any ideas where should it be? I assume to the right of the main list but there's a problem as left part is already taken and cutting more space from the right would mean less space for settings list, which in turn has a few long labels in it.

A label with reserved ID could go above the list to show what kind of set is currently active. Did I read somewhere that a textbox with a description of currently focused setting should fit there as well?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Well, either you display the level somewhere (on the bottom - you could even place the button there) or you display a short notification the first time a user opens settings, asking him which level he wants to have and refer to the sidebar where it can be changed later on.

This is an older screenshot but Cydia on a jailbroken iPhone does this:

Either way I'm not sure if the settings filter is really necessary after all because it only leads to confusion. At least I would strip it down to 2 levels, Basic and Advanced. I also would indicate advanced settings if they are visible, maybe with another font color, a small icon or something like that.
(2013-08-14, 01:09)`Black Wrote: Either way I'm not sure if the settings filter is really necessary after all because it only leads to confusion. At least I would strip it down to 2 levels, Basic and Advanced. I also would indicate advanced settings if they are visible, maybe with another font color, a small icon or something like that.

I'm pushing for just two settings, too :)

At least if "advancedsettings.xml" level stuff isn't being included. If it is, then I can see three levels. Right now it's technically 4, one for the possible "advancedsettings" stuff (expert), and one for a sort of "kiosk mode" (basic), but I think normal and basic should be combined in the settings window. I think the kiosk concept would need more thought before it can really be useful.

Shipping with a settings switch also means making sure the defaults are safe and tweaking what is "normal" and what is "advanced". There's a lot of discussion within the Team about this, but I'd like to make a thread about it for community input as well.
Don't be afraid to suggest something drastic. While it should look good, it's still just a settings area. There's sooo much space that we don't use. Movies and TV shows, that's great as a showcase, but for settings, functionality is a bit more important.

Ok including the stuff from "advancedsettings.xml" might need a third level. I would then remove basic and go with Standard, Advanced and Expert.

Quick mockup how it could look:

Nice idea! the colors are very helpful. where it says "level :advanced" could be the button to toggle the level.

i support the settings granularity - just not in the gui. when settings are added to json-rpc, a web frontend could have more levels, and a custom build could be tailored for kiosk mode
Here's a bit more radical:

The entire blade menu should go - everywhere- or the way you get to it be changed.

Easily the biggest source of confusion for new users - they're navigating around thumbs, say, and all of a sudden they left menu shoots open when they get to the left side? That's terrible UX. It should wrap on both sides back to the other...the whole blade menu thing, despite that one off intro - is just not good design (sorry Jezz X, love Confluence in general though !!)

I like the colours idea, and the visible level for sure.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
aye, I dislike the sidebar menu as well, but convincing everyone to get rid of it would be a bigger task than this :D
I like `Black's approach. I'm not 100% sold on the colors (a bit too dominant) but I like the general idea. The level indicator/button would probably have to be moved more to the left so that the close button is not covered by it when the mouse pointer is enabled.

Besides the setting level there's also an optional "Reset" button which allows users to reset all of the visible settings to their default value. Obviously it's not as important as the settings level indicator/button but if someone has an idea for its integration, that would be very welcome as well.

(2013-08-14, 01:07)pecinko Wrote: A label with reserved ID could go above the list to show what kind of set is currently active.
Right now there's a button with a reserved ID that both acts as an indicator and a toggle button but it's hidden in the sidebar.

(2013-08-14, 01:07)pecinko Wrote: Did I read somewhere that a textbox with a description of currently focused setting should fit there as well?
That is already integrated into confluence in the nightly/monthly builds. It's not perfect either but it works.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
On those settings hints, they really need to be separated better from the actual settings - visually they blend in too much. I'm sure you know this but...
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
(2013-08-14, 07:55)bossanova808 Wrote: On those settings hints, they really need to be separated better from the actual settings - visually they blend in too much. I'm sure you know this but...
(2013-08-14, 07:52)Montellese Wrote:
(2013-08-14, 01:07)pecinko Wrote: Did I read somewhere that a textbox with a description of currently focused setting should fit there as well?
That is already integrated into confluence in the nightly/monthly builds. It's not perfect either but it works.

Anyone with any design skills better than mine (i.e. opening photoshop Wink) is very welcome to provide a suggestion for a better separation.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
might wanna take a look on how ronie did it with Touched skin in latest nightly version.
The text is done within it own frame at the bottom distinguishing it from the rest.
The setting level is the "gear" at the top right. When clicked it shows a dropdown with current level and the reset button.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
There are some amazing skin peeps out there...I really think this might be a good chance to maybe get some improvement to the default skin happening.

If Jezz_X is busy, but there's a new major version coming, why not put a more general call out to help improve the default skin but clearly define the guidelines (e.g. simplicity, lightweight, fast, not too many needed addons or whatever).

[says he who does no skinning at all]
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A call for skinners to help Confluence4