unRAID Server Build Check - Is This Overkill?
Ok, just so you dont get me wrong, your PS is great - nothing wrong with it at all! Its just that in my mind, the beauty and attractiveness of Unraid with tons of storage is that it runs with minimal power usage. Remember you will run this thing every second of the year. Think of it like burning a 50 W light all year vs a 100 W light all year - wasting power yes but also generating heat constantly - meaning you put more load on your a/c too.

OK, this isnt huge but its something. ...

=)

efficiency is everything these days - I build each box to the lowest power I can. then, reduce capital costs as much as possible too. Also, I missed that you got a discount on the PS.

Good luck.

(2013-08-17, 03:43)Living Legend Wrote: Hey, thanks for the response, I appreciate the feedback.

My next build will be an HTPC so there's a chance I could swap some stuff around if it makes sense.

The PSU was something debated quite a bit between forum members here and others over at the lime tech forums. I may have went a little overboard with the PSU but I certainly have a quality brand and quality model so I'll never have to question that. I could have done more research I suppose, but I was spending far too much time hemming and hawing over nickels and dimes and a couple watts here and there that I decided to finally pull the trigger so I could get this puppy rolling.

(2013-08-17, 03:13)tantal Wrote: Well, I didnt have a chance to respond to your question earlier, so I'll respond to your final build:

That PS is twice what you need. Full stop. If you run your server through a kill-a-watt and watch the consumption, you will see that you have wasted at least $70. A corsair 550W would be more than enough - that is what I have and my array of 13 disks hits 180W on startup and idles at 50W - my big limitation is the number of SATA power rails; I use molex converters.

The cpu is good but still overkill - If I would have spent the exact same money as you I would have bought a good 500 or 550W psu (on sale as low as $25 on sale at the egg), the G1610, and I would spent all that money saved on a quality motherboard, likely a supermicro. There are several on the limetech forums that people like; the one I run is not popular because it does not have on-board video (I have an 8 mb pci ATI Rage) but has been flawless.

Your build is fine but I would have spent the money differently. I think you'll be really happy with it though, good luck. Unraid is excellent.

(2013-08-15, 18:52)Living Legend Wrote: I had a few people on the limetech forums say otherwise if the server was going to be running Plex as well as XBMC. The CPU wasn't much anyway relative to what a cheaper one would've been. Some people even said I may need stronger to transcode multiple HD streams simultaneously, Plex site included. I placed the order late last night. I'll post some pictures when I get it all setup, hopefully within a week.

NEWEGG ORDER:
1 x Western Digital Red WD30EFRX 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM $150.99
1 x ($129.99) CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready $129.99
1 x ($69.99) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL $69.99
1 x ($69.99) Intel Pentium G2120 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80637G2120 $69.99
1 x ($62.99) ASRock B75M R2.0 LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS $62.99
1 x ($-15.00) DISCOUNT FOR PROMOTION CODE$-15.00

Subtotal: $468.95 ($448.95 after rebate)

AMAZON ORDER
1 x Antec Eleven Hundred Black Super Mid Tower Computer Case $ 109.99
2 x SATA Data Cable (2pk) $7.38
2 x WD Red 3 TB NAS Hard Drive 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD30EFRX $294.88
1 x SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16 GB USB Flash Drive SDCZ33-016G-B35 $12.27

Subtotal: $401.99

TOTAL: $870.94

I may need to get a few more small fans for the HDs. I'll see how they're running once it's all setup.
(2013-08-17, 17:32)tantal Wrote: Ok, just so you dont get me wrong, your PS is great - nothing wrong with it at all! Its just that in my mind, the beauty and attractiveness of Unraid with tons of storage is that it runs with minimal power usage. Remember you will run this thing every second of the year. Think of it like burning a 50 W light all year vs a 100 W light all year - wasting power yes but also generating heat constantly - meaning you put more load on your a/c too.

OK, this isnt huge but its something. ...

=)

efficiency is everything these days - I build each box to the lowest power I can. then, reduce capital costs as much as possible too. Also, I missed that you got a discount on the PS.

Good luck.

Completely understood and point well taken.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
unRAID Server Build Check - Is This Overkill?0