Pivos xios
gbox
tlbb
zbox
Intel nuc

my needs are
- analog audio out
- mysql support to share the media database

how hard would it be to setup mysql for the htpc xbmc and my new bedroom htpc xbmc do you only need to get the versions right and then setup the server?

basically its down to the raspberrypi or gbox
i have selected the gbox as for the added extra of android , less setup time and remote. whether that is a good choice or not i wont know?
after reading up that the gbox midnight mx2 hasnt released the source code i dont feel like supporting them though it would fit my situation the best.
have they complied with the gpl licence yet?

is this a legit version of the gbox - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/G-BOX-Midnigh...43e&_uhb=1 Huh

otherwise failing the gbox not releasing the source code its back to the raspberrypi

is this a good deal? - noting that buying separately i can get cheaper
http://www.buyraspberrypi.com.au/shop/ra...d-package/

is there auspi tv xbmc preloaded onto the sdcard good? or would you just buy an sdcard elsewhere and use the xbmc website version?
is a 4gb sdhc card fine or would i need more gb? i only plan on using xbmc maybe down the track looking at a web browser
would a faster class sd card perform better or is it limited by the sd card slot on the pi?
would i need a http://www.buyraspberrypi.com.au/shop/fl...-receiver/ or is the smart phone app good enough (im assuming this would just be the normal xbmc remote app)? and then add a wireless keyboard/mouse to it that i have laying around
Ouya also comes highly recommended (though firmware not quite there yet).
From reports on the forum, GBox prone to fatal hangups, though those lucky to get reliable ones rave about them.
(Not that I have either device so am really just spoofingDevil )

The Pi I do have and my 2c on it is its both a hobbiest device & ideal as a secondary bedroom XBMC device. If you tick both boxes I would buy parts individually & do the loading & software install myself (its not too hard for anyone reasonably computer literate) - unless the kit exactly matches your needs, or you dont have the ability to write to an SD card,
4GB card is fine. I would EITHER get a cheap class 4 card and USB memory stick OR a good quality class 10 card. In the case of the former the SD card is only used to tell the Pi to boot from & use the USB memory stick. (USB sticks are far less prone to corruption than SD cards, & running off USB is as fast or faster than a good quality SD).
I find the Smartphone apps as good or better than a remote, particularly if you have a reasonable phone screen size (NB Yatse for android) & wouldn't be too bothered with the wireless keyboard/mouse etc. (keep that for the main HTPC that runs your library database). If your TV supports CEC,then no need for another remote at allSmile
Ok thanks
would a 1gb or 512mb sd card with a decent usb stick work as i have a few of them laying around

i have an S4 so decent screen size and would be better to use smart phone apps so me and the missus can control it rather than 1 remote that you have to go looking for. i have a spare wireless keyboard n mouse so might aswell use it.
tv doesnt support CEC as far as i know

so the PI doesnt have any problems like the gbox?
I vote RPI.
Just read a min of 2gb sd card.
Would a micro sd to sd adapter with micro sd card work?
(2013-08-16, 11:52)Bert02 Wrote: Just read a min of 2gb sd card.
Would a micro sd to sd adapter with micro sd card work?

Should work with less than 2MB, particularly as you plan on using the USB for boot, though not sure if the install process will need some sort of get-around. Likewise I think the Micro SD + adaptor should work, if you have one lying around try it and see would be my suggestion - worst case is you need to get an SD card later.

I would be lying if I said the Pi does not have problems. However, unlike the GBox they are straightforward to fix - worst case just re-installBig Grin. (My understanding is the GBox is prone to freezing in a non-resettable way.)
MK808 works nice
does the MK808 do 1080p? and can you add usb wifi dongles ?
I have ordered the raspberrypi
Hopefully get it quick so can have a play
Ended up getting an 8gb sandisk ultra class10 for cheap see how it goes failing that whats a good usb stick?
I have an old 16gb corsair I use that is way faster at transfering files than any of the new ones I have bought lately
Devil Haaa! We have sucked you into the Pi worldDevil

The SD card should be fine. It's mostly on highly oveclocked Pi's, or if you unplug in the middle of write sequences that you have SD card corruption issues, and as I said before, even if you do corrupt it, you can very quickly re-install it. (No harm to take a backup disk image when you have it setup to your liking to speed up the process further)

Any USB stick that has reasonable specs should be ok - just check for one that has good read/write speed. The Pi itself is only USB2, so there is no benefit in going for a high spec USB3 stick.
I also checked minimum SD card size, Its 150MB if you install the OS on the USB stick. See here.

Since you now have both options you could try both SD and USB install and see which works best (or compare OpenELEC v Raspbmc, or use one setup to test overclocking etc., or.....) - one of the great things about the Pi is that all you need to do to change OS systems is to replace the SD card.
what is the difference between OpenELEC, Raspmc and XBian?
OpenELEC is a minimalist install of XBMC only - Raspbmc and XBian have a bit more Linux behind them.
Essentially this means you can install other software alongside XBMC on Raspbmc or XBian (apt-get command), but not on Openelec without compiling your own version.
Rasbpmc is more popular, but XBian has its fans as well - you can read up on them via the wiki.
thanks think ill stick with OpenELEC then
i did have a read but it didnt explain it nearly as simple as you did just then
ok so i have OpenELEC up and running
using an sd card for OS and usb for storage i corrupted my first sd card like 3 times so will be using the sd/usb method
mysql shares are setup

need to
setup the time thing
find a skin i like
and get a faster usb stick

edit it appears xbmc can set the correct time when i have the right country/timezone set so dont need this then..?
not sure how to do this using ssh in windows
im using winscp to edit xbmc files etc
and have tried putty but still lost

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...ith_issues
Code:
4 Setting the time correctly:

Raspberry PI does not come with a real clock. What that means is that you will have to set the time every-time you boot by hand. But, there is an easy way to rectify this:

ssh to OpenElec. (u:root/p:openelec)
"vi /storage/.config/autostart.sh"
Add the following content:
#!/bin/sh
(sleep 30; \
/usr/sbin/ntpdate pool.ntp.org; \
)&
"chmod +x /storage/.config/autostart.sh"
When your PI comes up, it will take 30 seconds and the time will be in sync.
(2013-08-21, 12:40)Bert02 Wrote: find a skin i like

Amber is highly recommended on Pi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
small cheap XBMC box for bedroom0