XBMC DEVICE >>HELP....Too many options...not enough patience!
HuhPure Nuub here:

I'm in the market for a tablet (looking at nexus 7) to install xbmc on and connect to my TV via HDMI. Main purpose is video streaming...hopefully good quality streaming!

I have a PC upstairs with a Cisco modem that outputs my wifi signal and a 2 year old Samsung 51' 600hz Plasma downstairs ..yes.. I'm on a budget!

HuhHuhI was originally looking at a refurbished laptop or a new one on sale, then was told I need an i5 or A8 processor at the least for good quality streaming.
Then I looked at Macmini and thought about building a mini PC which are out of my budget just for streaming.
I've tried HD live and Apple TV, like that HD lets me connect my USB stick to watch movies but wifi was choppy and liked apple for smoothness but no USB and to restricted. I've read about Ras pie, the new Chromecast and the android TS18... Finally 2 months of research and I'm back looking at tablets. PLEASE HELPConfused. I don't want to invest in something that will not do the job.

The basics are: I'll be using wifi from upstairs modem to stream to downstairs via tablet, laptop or ____?(please fill in the blank)

I know wifi might be an issue for video streaming. I've read about homeplugs etc. to get a better signal downstairs, worse comes to worse... I drill a hole and run network cable downstairs but would like to totally avoid that.

Are tablets like the Nexus 7 etc. powerful enough if running XBMC right of of it? or what do you suggest?
Thanks in advanceSleepy
Regardless of everything else, you definitely don't need an i5 or A8 for good quality streaming. In the PC world, a Celeron 847 mobile processor will render 1080p video beautifully with OpenELEC. Don't let them fool you.

I defer to others about tablets, etc.
thanks, so you think the new Nexus 7 will have issues running xbmc and streaming to tv via Chromecast or Miracast?
and what is the cheapest pc, laptop or setup to get with the Celeron 847
also what is a good mini or regular motherboard that has built in wifi, HDMI etc.(pretty much all inclusive motherboard) to pair up with the 847?
thanks
I too am on a budget but I managed to build a amd athlon x2 with 2gb ddr3 1333mhz a cheap asus motherboard, that was from ebuyer.com then I got a cheap pc case+500w psu from ebay and a nvidia gt210 1gb gpu from amazon. All that cost me just under £180 (already had hdd+dvd drive). It has played EVERYTHING iv ever thrown at it, now granted not everyone wants a pc in their living room but if your budget is that tight like mine was then you would put up with it for the sake of having a flawless xbmc

All the best

Paul
I picked up a Gigabyte GA-C847N-D UD4 w/ Celeron 847 and a Inwin case w/120w PSU, and a 40mm fan to replace the Inwin PSU fan for $170CDN. I had 4GB of ram sitting around and a 2.5" sata drive.
Put Openelec on it and it plays everything just as well as my i3 Nuc.

You could go the same way, ram would cost about $50 and you don't even need a HDD as Openelec runs well off a thumb drive.
We tend to have higher prices on electronics here in Canada so depending where you live you could probably do the same setup with a usb wireless card for ~$200 mark.
Intel I3-4130 | Asus H81T/CSM | 8GB DDR3 | 120GB Crucial M4| KODI 14.1
SilverStone Milo ML06
just keep in mind how much wifi oomph you will need (in router and tablet), especially if you are streaming wifi to a tablet, then streaming wifi back out from the tablet to chromecast. for the cost of a nexus 7, a few more bucks and you could have something like a zotac AD04. It won't do HD audio but it will run 1080p bluray out HDMI w/2ch audio. Few more bucks and you can get a Zotac that handles HD audio, the full works. I use both kinds, but via wired ethernet, not sure about their wifi capabilities....
thanks Cypher.....Im also in Ontario, Canada...GTA area. Where did you purchase?
TigerDirect?
thanks for the input

Spaceghost.... Ive looked at the Zotiac but was told to stay away because of the wifi...anymore input onm that from anyone would be appreciated?

How does the Zotiac stack up against Cyphers system and aalso the other AMD build that was posted before that?
I use wired cat-5 and have not tried using wifi. I tried wifi with some PIVOS XIOS boxes and 720p (via handbrake) 2ch AAC and it worked pretty good, but once my kids got on xbox live or streaming netflix it would buffer about every few minutes.
That Zotac looks pretty good, it will be a little more compact and probably quieter than the original fan that was in the Inwin psu. Plus, the Zotac comes with a remote and it's on for a decent price on Newegg.ca

I might actually pick one up and then use the mini pc as my sab and sickbeard machine.
Intel I3-4130 | Asus H81T/CSM | 8GB DDR3 | 120GB Crucial M4| KODI 14.1
SilverStone Milo ML06

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC DEVICE >>HELP....Too many options...not enough patience!0