IBM netvista s42 - Salvage or Start fresh??
Is this IBM S42 have any hope as a HTPC or so i need to start fresh wih a new motherboard?

Here's the specs.

http://microdream.co.uk/desktop-pc/ibm-n...g9k-mS9K0c

General Features:
Small Form Factor
Microsoft Windows XP Professional pre-installed w/CoA
Intel Pentium 4 2.53 GHz processor
512 MB DDR RAM (supports up to 2 GB)
40 GB hard drive
CD-ROM drive
Floppy drive
Integrated graphics card, Intel Extreme Graphics Shared video memory (UMA)
Integrated AC'97 audio codec
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet, Fast Ethernet

Expansion Slots:
Two (2) DDR DIMM slots (occupied)
Two (2) PCI adapter connectors

Front I/O Ports:
Two (2) USB
Headphone jack
Microphone jack

Rear I/O Ports:
Six (6) USB
Two (2) PS/2
One (1) 25-pin Parallel
Two (2) 9-pin Serial
One (1) 15-pin VGA
One (1) RJ-45 Ethernet
Line in
Line out
Depends on your needs - HD playback will be an issue but SD should be fine. You could also use as is as a PC/ file server and get a small box for viewing (e.g. Pivos Xios) quite cheaply.I have converted a few similar vintage PCs to Xubuntu or Lubuntu - they run much faster than Xp for general browsing and will run on your pc ok. however i wouldn't spend any money on it other than hard drive if you want it for file storage or maybe another 512MB RAM - better spent on new hardware I think.
If i wanted to try it out, is it even possible??...starting with a graphics card with hdmi or mini hdmi .
It has a 2 slot Microstar ms-6958 pci riser card

http://www.ascendtech.us/micro-star-ms-6...58pci.aspx

would any cheaper graphics card work with this Microstar?

If this sounds like its not worth it, where would you start with a new motherboard and cpu on a budget if I wanted to re-use the case from the IBM s42
thanks

also how do you think windows 7 32 bit will run on this older pc?
(2013-08-17, 14:50)miklud Wrote: If i wanted to try it out, is it even possible??...starting with a graphics card with hdmi or mini hdmi .
It has a 2 slot Microstar ms-6958 pci riser card

http://www.ascendtech.us/micro-star-ms-6...58pci.aspx

would any cheaper graphics card work with this Microstar?

It's possible, but I would hate to see you putting money into the old PC that would be better spent elsewhere.

Quote:If this sounds like its not worth it, where would you start with a new motherboard and cpu on a budget if I wanted to re-use the case from the IBM s42
My thing is more extending the life of old hardware at near 0 cost - I'm not an expert at specing new stuff (there are many others on this forum much better at answering this question than me), but I suspect you are better off buying a low cost box. Lenovo Q190 is popular - see here. Alternatevly you could go for an android box like the Pivos Xios - see here or here for threads discussing alternates.

Quote:also how do you think windows 7 32 bit will run on this older pc
Like a dog. At minimum you would want to get 2GB RAM, a new HDD & graphics card (+ windows license?), and even then I'm not sure... If you want to run Windows I suggest the Lenovo.
Thanks for input, I'm leaning toward a Nuc but like the celerin g1610. Does a lot for a little. Just tring to find an all inclusive mobo with solid wifi/Bluetooth and good graphics... O did I mention for cheap!!
(2013-08-18, 15:19)miklud Wrote: did I mention for cheap!!

You did, which is why I suggested the LenovoSmile
By all accounts the NUC is a very good buy for small format HTPC if you are prepared to increase your budget a bit.
Found a q190 for $329... Go for it or do a custom build with g1610??
Please let me know what u think...got it on hold... Not for long!
Is this Q that great, no issues??
I would go with the custombuild..
Won't it end up costing more custom, after its all said and done ?
Are there lenovo q190's prone to issues ?
(2013-08-18, 17:20)miklud Wrote: Is this Q that great, no issues??

I don't have one, I'm just going by the look, specs and general forum chatter..... The thread I liked to above is a good example. Do a search for the g1610 on the forum to see how it rates.
Either way, if you want Windows I think its a far better investment than the old IBM.
So forget about the q190 then, stock with a g1610??
Going once , going twice ??
Do it!!!
Do what, lol. ...lenovo or custom!
(2013-08-18, 17:27)Christer K Wrote: I would go with the custombuild..

(2013-08-18, 17:49)Christer K Wrote: Do it!!!

Laugh
Let the Q190 go & cost up a g1610 build. There will be other Q190 offers if the g1610 doesn't work out price wise, but you will always wonder if you made the right choice if you jump too soonSmile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IBM netvista s42 - Salvage or Start fresh??0