Yet another one with audio issues
Searched and realized that there are quite a few with audio issues with XBMC on their Mac Minis. Unfortunately, nobody with the same setup as I have and also very few solutions out there.

Let me start with my settings: HDMI, 2.0, play stereo to all speakers.

When connecting my Mini via HDMI to my Sony Bravia HX920, all works fine as long as I disable all the specific receiver settings (DTS, etc.).

When connecting my Mini via HDMI to my surround receiver (attached a pair of stereo speakerrs) first and then via another HDMI cable to my Sony Bravia, I basically don't get any sound unless I put the volume to maximum (and even then just whispers). Same when enabling and disabling the specific receiver settings.

Any thoughts?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Can you take a screen shot of your audio settings and link to it from an image hosting site (dropbox, imgur, etc)?
Thanks for offering help. PLease see below my settings. I typed it up instead of a screenshot:

Audio Input - HDMI
Speaker Configuration - 2.0
Boost Volume level on downmix - yes
Output stereo to all speakers - yes
Dolby Digital (AC3) - no
DTS capable receiver - no
Multichannel LPCM - no
Audio Output device - HDMI
Play GUI sounds - only when playback stopped

Setup: Mini with HDMI to surround receiver, surround receiver with HDMI to a pair of stereo speakers

Thanks in advance!!!

*** EDIT **
To be clear - the setup with Mini->AVR->TV (with HDMI) does not give sound using XBMC (while it does in OSX/Itunes/Plex). What works with XBMC is Mini->TV (with HDMI) with the same settings as above. But that's obviously not what I want...

I checked a few more threads and it appears that audio is broken with the OSX version since Frodo .2. Shall I go back to Frodo .0 or is there any other way (nightly?). Would really be great to use my AVR system.
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
ensure that you have set the osx audio-midi-setup to 2.0 aswell ... try to switch from hdmi to optical to analog (as this shouldn't be an issue when only having a 2 channel setup). Also disable the Output stereo to all speakers option (not sure if this even does something in frodo - but its useless in 2 channel setup).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2013-08-26, 10:03)Memphiz Wrote: ensure that you have set the osx audio-midi-setup to 2.0 aswell ... try to switch from hdmi to optical to analog (as this shouldn't be an issue when only having a 2 channel setup). Also disable the Output stereo to all speakers option (not sure if this even does something in frodo - but its useless in 2 channel setup).

Audio-midi-setup is already set to 2.0. I had also tried with output stereo to all speakers disabled, but no change.

I can try to switch from HDMI to optical to analog, but I doubt this will make a difference?
Well then don't do it?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Was not at my computer when typing the email.

Have now tried out optical/analog, but unfortunately same result.

Audio works well with itunes and VLC, but no sound with XBMC.

Any other ideas?
try frodo 12.0 and post a debug log (wiki) if that doesn't help
Frodo 12.0 is a tiny bit better / louder over HDMI, but still does not work properly.

I am trying to go a different route now and hopw this may work better? I am connecting my TV directly to the Mac Mini through HDMI, while at the same time connecting my Mini to the AC receiver through the headphone jack (with a cable like this http://www.amazon.com/3-5MM-To-Stereo-Rc...000HSEQH8/). What would be the best audio settings in XBMC. It somehow still does not appear to be working (better than before, but still VERY low audio). Plex, Itunes and VLC are all working perfectly both over HDMI as well as the headphone setting, which I am trying now.

Reading through the forums, XBMC for Mac OSX audio just appears to be broken in some setups. Is it worth to install bootcamp and run XBMC for Windows to get audio? Or would I face the same issues?
I am starting to isolate the issue. It appears to be related to either the OSX or the Mac Mini hardware.

All issues with low/no audio are happening on my Mac Mini (mid-2011) running Mountain Lion. There are no/less issues on my Mac Mini (mid-2007) running Lion. I cannot try the HDMI setup on the 2007 Mini though as the 2007 Mini does not have a HDMI port.

VLC/Itunes/Plex run well in all settings/audio equipment on both 2007 and 2011 Mini.

Any thoughts? Anyone reading this forum who has a Mac Mini (mid-2011) having proper sound in any form of setting? Or is this specific model just unsupported by XBMC at this stage?
I believe that I have isolated the issue. It appears that the issue occurs in two types of settings:

1) Using HDMI/AVR, while at the same time only having a 2.0 set-up. Reading through dozens of posts, audio works for those with HDMI and 5.1 set-ups, but does not work for those with basic 2.0 set-ups.

2) In general, music in stereo appears to be an issue over HDMI/AVR.

Issues happen as soon as an AVR is involved (either with HDMI or coaxial), but "only" basic stereo keepers are attached to it. The issue is low or very low or basically unhearable music. At the same time, no issue in Itunes or VLAN.

Should be easy to reproduce by just disconnecting center and rear speakers from a 5.1 setup and see whether the audio volume is still normal.
Have one workaround. Installed add-on "Audio Mixer", which allows me to run via coax when putting the "audio mixer" boost-up to maximum.

While it somewhat solves my issue, I wonder whether this "destroys" sound quality?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Yet another one with audio issues0