Options for managing a large movie/ tv collection
Really love this skin, but I have a couple of library/ organisation questions – all help greatly appreciated!

Currently I select movies and it shows me all my movies, I’d like to split these out into a couple of categories (Kung-Fu, Children’s, etc)and have filed them on my NAS in this way (e.g., ../Movies/Kung_Fu/The Prodigal Son (1981)/The Prodigal Son (1981).mvk)
Question:
1) Can I set it so that I have ‘Kung-Fu’ on the main menu screen (the one with music, movies, TV Shows, etc. on it) or do I have to put it as a sub genre within Movies?
a. If so, how?
b. If I have to set it as a sub menu, then can I set it so that once I click movies it then shows me all my categories and either a random or fixed piece of fan art for each category, I’d then select one of these and get all my movies in that folder
c. I’d like to do the same with my TV shows... is it the same process?
d. How do other people manage their collections once they get too large to scroll through?

2) If I have a film that doesn’t have any art out there for it, how do I add my own fan art and what are the minimum and optimum jpg dimensions?

Thanks for your help guys!
1a) See the link in my sig.
b) If I understand correctly, no.
c) Yes

2) Fanart.tv. They will show you all the requirements for artwork to be added(dimensions, etc).
Custom Movie Links on Main Menu

Movie Sets on Sub Menu

Other helpful links:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1392174

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1402884
HTPC: Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF i7-7700 quad-core, 3.6GHz, 16GB
NAS: Synology DS1813+ and DX513, Hybrid RAID (SHR) 48TB usable space
My Media Center | www.CaptainKen.us | www.YouTube.com/KenInGilbert
Excellent!! Thanks guys I'll work on this in the week and update how I get on. Smile
I think I understand what you want for 2(b).

On my home menu I've changed the default Movie item to display as a quicklist (option available under Settings/Main Menu Customiser/<Menu item>/Choose Type/Quicklist)

For your benefit you could assign the quicklist to your Kung Fu playlist. When you click on it, a vertical list will appear instead of your Kung Fu library. You can configure each item (8 in total) by clicking on "Quickconfig" at the bottom of the list to show playlists, favourites, video folder, library node etc. to suit your various categories.

Give it a try, I arrange my library this way for movies so instead of multiple home menu items or submenu items for playlists etc I just have the quicklist for all my playlists and one other for favourites. Less menu scrolling that way.
Thanks Kokonutcreme, I'll give that a go on the weekend to see which one I prefer, but I have now got it working as per the video in the sig from Vaikin. It' brilliant, however I have one niggle that I just can't fix.

I had my children's TV shows as a sub folder in TV shows. I set up the smart playlists as shown and it worked great, except the Children's TV shows came up in my TV shows, so I decided to promote the Children's TV shows folder and re do the playlists, etc. Now when I go to TV Shows on the main menu it still shows the Tinga Tinga Tales poster rather than say a Game of Thrones poster. I've checked and double checked the background setting, and the smart lists; I've deleted, and started again, I've cleaned the library, all sorts, but it still remain. Any idea why I can't shift it and how I do? When I enter that menu I get all the right shows so the playlist is correct, just the main menu screen background that is wrong. No doubt I am doing something colossally stupid. It feels like it is cached somewhere and I need to purge that, but can't seem to work it out.

Folder Structure:
../Videos/TV Shows
../Videos/Children's TV Shows
You stated:

Quote:I had my children's TV shows as a sub folder in TV shows.

which would translate to:

../Videos/TV Shows
../Videos/TV Shows/Children's TV Shows

But your example shows differently in that Childrens TV shows is not a folder within TV shows:
../Videos/TV Shows
../Videos/Children's TV Shows

If it's in fact a child folder of TV Shows, then that is most likely your problem. When pointing to TV Shows anything in that structure would be part considered as plan TV Shows. So simply take the "childrens tv shows" folder out of "Tv Shows".
sorry for the confusion, when I said "so I decide to promote the children's TV Shows folder" I meant that I moved it from '.../Videos/TV Shows/Children's TV Shows' to '.../Videos/Children's TV Shows'

Looking at it again this morning, it is behaves as if there is no cached background artwork and it simply keeps the artwork from the previous menu; i.e., if I was on Children's TV it shows the Tinga Tinga Tales artwork, but if I move to it from Live TV it shows me the Live TV artwork.

A a separate question, is it possible to have the top level view so that it doesn't have any small pictures in the layout? I like it when it just shows the poster and rotates through them as background art without having the classic/ info, etc (or any other) layout over the top - It's no big deal if I can't.

It's such a fantastically good looking skin hats off to all those involved in putting it together!
For your 2nd question regarding small pictures in the layout, it sounds like the Showcase view "Info Panel" in ViewType Settings set to manual.

Like this?
Re second question, What I'm looking to see is just the background picture, I don't want to see all the CD cases at the bottom or the next episodes... or anything, just the menu names I have on the top level menu (the one you get when you open XBMC - Movies, Weather, System, etc) and a poster from one of the titles within that menue; e.g., if I have highlighted 'Movies' then I would get the poster art for say 'Fight Club' and then if I leave it it would change after a few seconds to 'Carlito's Way', etc. If I select Movies then I go into the sub menue as normal with all my movies in it. At the minute I have them set to Classic as it is the least intrusive of the lot. It may not be possible.
"BigFan is probably the closest you'll come. Looks cool with clearart and show extrafanart.

Maybe someone else has a tweak they could share. But then you would have to change it back for every new AN version.
The only place fanart would auto transition from one movie or tv show to another would be on the main menu. Once you've selected the Movies menu or TV Show menu, then the fanart that would be displayed is for whatever movie or show is currently highlighted.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Options for managing a large movie/ tv collection0