Linux A wireless adapter for XBMCbuntu?
Hi folks.

I've been an XBMC user for some time now and having recently moved to a new place, it's no longer possible for my main XBMC HTPC to be hardlined to my router (It was previously in the same room as my router, but is now the other side of the house, and I don't find it reasonable to use a cable that long). I'm going to have to add a wireless adapter, either internal or external to this build, but I have no idea which would be suitable with an XBMCbuntu based system.

Are there any go to adapters that work with Ubuntu? I'm looking for something obviously good enough to stream 1080p and also simple to install (driver wise) into an Ubuntu based box.

Many thanks,

Long time lover of XBMC, and sometime XBMC forum poster.
You won't have much fun with wifi and 1080p. I suggest powerline or moca or running a cable.

If you insist, go to a retailer and look at what they have. Then google for 'thatmodel linux'. Or ask for an adaptor that works with linux. If they can't supply, then go to the next retailer.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-08-19, 02:57)nickr Wrote: You won't have much fun with wifi and 1080p. I suggest powerline or moca or running a cable.

Thanks for the reply!

I've heard this elsewhere a few times, but I have never had any problems running 1080p to my windows 7 based PC which came with a built in Wireless N adaptor. I stream very high quality 1080p too. For anyone wondering if its possible, it certainly is with Windows 7, I'm just looking to be able to do the same thing on my XBMCbuntu setup, which I prefer. Perhaps the streaming of 1080p problems ive been hearing about are something to do with Ubuntu? But i don't see why it would be.

Once again, thanks for replying.
http://www.meritline.com/airlink101-awll...14088.aspx

I have an earlier version of that one that I liked so much, I bought at least 5 of them. Both should work out of the box with XBMCbuntu. I've been very surprised at what 1080 files I can playback using this. I've never tried bluray rips or anything around 40Mbps-ish, so I can't say that it will work with all 1080 files.

It has two internal antennas, making it better than a lot of other small USB wifi adapters.

Assuming you have good reception, a good router, etc. As always, YMMV.
Well, you'll want 802.11n at a guess. My laptop has an intel wireless-n adaptor that 'just works'. Atheros also have a pretty good track record.

According to my (brand new arrived today) router my laptop is connected at 117Mbps. The adaptor is listed by lspci as 'Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6230 [Rainbow Peak]'.

As I say, take a look at some local retailers. Take your smart phone with you and google for users' experience as you look at the models.

If you are looking for a USB device, take your linux laptop and ask to try it out. Plug it in, ask for their router details. If they aren't prepared to let you do that, or guarantee linux compatibility, go to the next shop and make sure you tell someone senior on the team why you are leaving.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A wireless adapter for XBMCbuntu?0