MP3 tag solution for YEAR?
Disregard everything I just posted: I was just experimenting with Picard, and finally figured out where to enter your script.
$set(date,$left(%originaldate%,4))

I saw on another website, someone used:
$set(date,%originaldate%)

In either case, for anyone like me who is not too familiar with MusicBrainz Picard yet, here are simple instructions:
In Picard version 1.2, click on Options | Options | Advanced | Scripting | Tagger Script.
Enter the script $set(date,$left(%originaldate%,4)) or $set(date,%originaldate%) and check the Tagger Script check box.
Click OK.
Exit and reopen Picard.
Open any MP3, and what my somewhat-complicated MP3Tag series of steps would do, MacGyver's script does automatically.
When you save the MP3, Picard will save the ORIGYEAR (originaldate) into the YEAR field.

So now we're on the same page, and back to the core question:

In cases where an MP3 only has a date in the Recorded Date (YEAR) field, and nothing in the Original/Released Date (ORIGYEAR) field, isn't there any utility out there that could go through a person's entire music collection, automatically dig up the oldest date from all of the possible dates:
[composed, re-composed, registered, released on EP, released on official album, released on compilation, remastered and re-released],
and automatically tag all of a person's MP3s with this oldest date? I suppose you could do this manually, searching online for each song and seeing when it was first released, but surely you'd think someone would have automated this task. I would not hesitate to pay for software that automatically and easily accomplished this task.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MP3 tag solution for YEAR?0