help! do you need a gpu to play h264 hi10p files with no artefacts
i havent had any confirmed real life evidence that a htpc (that doesnt have a graphics card) using mpc (media player classic) can play hi10p 720p/1080p anime files without any pixelation, color distortion or better known as artefacts.

i would like to know if anyone who can prove that this is possible

also, is there a minimum cpu requirement? (im looking at the amd apu trinity a6 5400k 3.6ghz or the richland A6 6400k 3.9ghz)

many thanks out there~
AFAIK there is no GPI which can accelerate hi10p, its all CPU.
The GPU makes zero difference, because there are no hardware decoders that handle Hi10P. It has to be decoded in software, using CPU power.
is a dual core amd 3.6 ghz enough for this? can anyone without a doubt say they have played a hi10p file and noticed no artefacts along the way. if so what are your htpc specs + o/s + player?
I have played a Hi10P 1080 file with no artifacts using a mobile 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo from 2009.
thanks Ned !!

in that case, which cpu would you choose:
intel i3 3225 vs amd A6 6400k?

apparently intel i3 3225 has a higher cpu mark? but i dont know how that helps with watching large 1080p hi10bit files

if anyone has some insight in this,please drop in some input
Just looking at raw benchmark results, I would think either would be able to handle it. Both of those have a better benchmark than my laptop.

I personally would only get a CPU that is just powerful enough for what I needed, if it's just an HTPC. It's hard to "futureproof" HTPCs, so you might as well not over pay on them.

At the same time, I would avoid things with an AMD GPU, because they're harder to set up in linux.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
help! do you need a gpu to play h264 hi10p files with no artefacts0