IR remote Control or YATSE??
Hi guys, just wanted to hear from you all on this..
actually, im using YATSE to control XBMC from my Android phone...
And its Amazing!!
Can't see myself using a typical IR Remote because of YATSE!!

So i was wondering your take on this...

I know a ir remote may very well be more WAF,
but if not, why go crazy about IR??

Most of us im sure all have cell phones and if not,
you could buy a cheap android phone on ebay
and use it as YATSE only device!

Advantages of YATSE are high!
like having a screen that we can clearely see in the dark!
no lign of sight needed since it works via wifi!! (im in the yard and i can select any song and it'll play!! Tongue)
Swipe controls to browse through xbmc is brilliant!

What do u guys say??
+1 for Yatse!
With a proper remote you get buttons. With buttons I haven't got to stare at my phone/tablet to press buttons

I use the xbmc remote app on my second xbmc player as the first one has IR.

Now. RF is definitely the way to go! Buttons and haven't got to aim it!
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Yatse is very cool and I use it alot (send to xbmc is awesome!) but I'd be lost without my harmony remote - physical programmable buttons that you can feel so you dont have to look at it to use and you dont have to wake a remote to use it. Add in xbmc's web interface for pc's and I've always got something to control xbmc with incase I lose the remote Smile
Basically Yatse is the TV guide and a wireless keyboard.

The IR remote is low power consumption and ready to go.
And has all the basic HTPC function needed.
+1 for the keyboard funvtion, cant do without i!!
I have gone through MANY remotes over the years. Before smartphones was a real option as remote (no software yet) I gave a touch screen IR/RF remote a try - at the time Philips had the market with their Pronto series (they are still around but there are alot more options now). At first I thought it was the coolest thing since I can make any arrangement I want. But after a few months I got tired of it - just couldn't stand having to constantly look at the screen to do something. I soon after sold it and went back to wand-style with hard buttons. Guess I just old fashion Smile

Still, Yatze sounds like it could be really useful especially as a keyboard. I will have to give it a try. Thanks!

Ernie
Yatse is excellent, but for day-to-day use I rely on my TV remote with the CEC adapter. I used to have a separate IR r/c, but that was just another device for the kids to lose behind a cushion: the TV remote is simplicity for normal navigation, since you have it anyway to control the screen.

Where Yatse scores is when I want to stop something from the next room - or pause what the kids are watching so they can hear me speak to them :-)
As i already have stated..

For Tablets
Yatse is good, XBMC Commander (IOS) is good, Constellation is good (IOS)...

but since we have to rely on IR (to turn on the TV), or use our amp or another media player there will be IR Remotes on our table one way or another...

Some may say that there is an program (for tablets or smartphone) for controlling our TV, another program for the amp, another one for the media player...
I tried this solution and is really annoying... Open one program turn on TV, close it, open another program turn on amp etc etc....

The other thing is that wife - parents also do not like the tablet approach...

I did also bough a Harmony One... didnt like the touch screen ...
Wife also never used it...
Sold it as it didnt served its purpose..

Then i bought the "cheap" Harmony 300... no touch screens just plain buttons...
After some tweaking it now rests on my table with no other remote around...
(replaced four remotes)...

Bottom line:
Do i need IR?: Yes....

Can the WOL function of a player substitute the ability of some htpcs to Power On from complete shutdown using IR? NO...
(One of the reasons that i bought the Arctic Mc001 (besides the price) was its internal IR (power on from cold boot)...)

Will i buy an HTPC that does not have internal IR?
Probably not... although i do hope the new Haswel Nucs will have one

Bottom Bottom Line:
Tablet - Smartphone cannot replace IR.... (for some of us at least Wink )...
(2013-08-22, 11:45)jammyb Wrote: With a proper remote you get buttons. With buttons I haven't got to stare at my phone/tablet to press buttons

I use the xbmc remote app on my second xbmc player as the first one has IR.

Now. RF is definitely the way to go! Buttons and haven't got to aim it!

This is why I will never go back to a touch screen for HT use. I like having a controller I don't have to look at to find a button..

Most have already said what I'm about to say.

Having to take your attention and focus of the screen to look at your touchpad find the button visually and use slightly more effort to make sure you don't hit another button on your touchpad, just is a different/worse experience than a remote

with a remote I've setup the keys that I use the most to do different things in different windows so I can change the volume faster and easier. Its more like my brain thinks and the remote is an extension of my hand. whereas the Yatse is an appliance that needs more attention.

Similar to this stupid gimmick about XBOX one, voice controls. Stupid and silly waving your hands about. Mankind has is always trying to reinvent the wheel so as not to get bored.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IR remote Control or YATSE??0