Getting a HTPC
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about building a passively cooled HTPC which i'll be using for running XBMC off Windows or Linux to watch HD content mostly 1080p and 720p via network.
After reading various topics i got even more confused on what hardware i should get so i'll leave my options below:

CPU + MB combo: Sapphire PURE White E350 or Gigabyte GA-C847N.

Case: Akasa Galileo or Akasa Euler both with 120W external adapter. I'm going for the Akasa Euler since the Galileo doesn't have a 2.5 HDD mount.

Memory: 2x Corsair Value Select 2 GB DDR3-1066 PC3-8500 CL7

Total: ~140€

I'm on a budget and for now i'm missing an SDD.

Please comment and leave your advices.
Site states that Euler:

Compatible with the following thin mini-ITX motherboard
Intel DQ77KB Ivy Bridge
Intel DH61AG Sandy Bridge

Love the looks of Galileo though ... but didnt see the motherboards that is compatbile with....
I've inquiry akasa about the subject.

My main doubt is which CPU to choose from, the info about it is a bit confusing when it cames to HD playback.
Pardon my ignorance how does this buld compare to an Ouya? ignoring the fact that Ouya has a fan. Is this what you call an ITX system?
I built several HTPCs with the Akasa Euler, i3-2120T, DH61AG and 64GB mSATA SSD. They ran great and sold quick. Akasa recommends 35W TDP or less but Google for the Euler review they used a 65W TDP CPU.
(2013-08-24, 00:03)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I built several HTPCs with the Akasa Euler, i3-2120T, DH61AG and 64GB mSATA SSD. They ran great and sold quick. Akasa recommends 35W TDP or less but Google for the Euler review they used a 65W TDP CPU.

Thanks for the tip. Just wondering if you can point me to an alternative to the DH61AG and the i3-2120T. The online shop i usually order doesn't have Intel motherboards, it's not very easy tracking down stores with this components at a good price VAT free, and i think an i3 is too much power for video playback.

I was thinking along the lines of this Gigabyte GA-H77TN, Intel G2030 (55W) or Intel G630T (35W), this one is a bit more expensive the the G2030. I read the bit-tech review of the Galileo and saw that delta T when streaming HD was about 38º on the 65W, so i don't expect to be hotter on the Euler with a 55W.
Thin mini-ITX is *supposed* to be a standard that includes processor placement so the GA-H77TN *should* work. I would try contacting the shop or manufacturer to be sure or dig into the details on the Intel Thin mini-ITX spec and verify it for yourself.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Getting a HTPC0