Looking for a Box to run XBMC
Title says it all really am looking for some sort of box under £60 to run XBMC any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: must include a remote

Thanks
-Jonny
Gbox, Geniatech "ATV" series, etc. Just be warned, some of these guys are so cheap that they don't always last more than a few months or a year before something electrical burns out in them. I also wouldn't expect software support to be great, but it's totally possible to run XBMC very decently on dirt cheap boxes. I personally would avoid any of the "stick" boxes, and keep to things with an ethernet port. The wifi even on the "good" boxes is often not good enough for HD video.
Raspberrypi +mce remote
(2013-08-24, 07:03)Jönke Wrote: Raspberrypi +mce remote

This. You can just pretend that it came with the remote.
Spend £20 more and get a second hand Ouya of Ebay, they are virtually brand new, folks just don't know what to do with them (i.e. run XBMC). The difference between Ouya and a Raspberry Pi is like playing on a argos pool table without slates and a real pool table. One is fun but not very responsive the other is alot more fun. Also when the next shiny new toy comes out you will be able to sell it for £60 -£70 so basically say in a years time, it would have cost you £10-£20 for ownership. Also its literay plug and play with the Ouys, don't even have to sideload it anymore since Ouya have their own release. Wheras the Pi is all on you to get sd card download openelec, install...

£80 for an Ouya - you get a controller pad and can upgrade to a better remote later if you wanted.
£80 for a quad core tegra 3 against £60 for a single core 700mhz cr@p (I've got one and its not much fun even with overclocking)

Heres a video of what an Ouya can do
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLEcxa_0J...re=mh_lolz

Ned would you agree with me on this one?
What sort of remotes would work with the OUYA as I really wouldn't want to use the Game Controller
The Ouya has this remote

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/image...qTddZqHg3Q

Its meant to be okay, but this is the best part. It costs £30 new, but ebay they're going for around £15 -£20, you buy the Ouya for about £75-£80 then you sell the remote on ebay and get about £15-£20 then you buy this remote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MELE-F10-USB-2...2a2fd8763e

Its the Mele f10 basically the best remote. It costs £18.98. The video I linked to has the guy using that remote. It has a keyboard at the back. So worse case scenerio £80 console minus £15 for sale of ouya control plus £19 remote means you got Ouya + amazing remote for £84 (best case scenario £75 console -£19 ouya control plus £19 remote equals £75)

This was always my plan, if I was to upgrade (I've got a Pi) Mate trust me when I say that is one heck of a deal and you would get absolutely nothing that even compares to this deal in terms of price, performance and the best remote.
Yea, cheers man I have been looking at android boxs for awhile but never even thought about the Ouya and for the specs of the ouya compared to most Android boxes is amazing cheers. think am going to buy a ouya
Brand new or second hand? don't forget the Ouya will get faster as the developers and community optimise it, its only been out for about 2 months. personally I would keep the original ouya pad because then its got better resale value and you can play free emulators

Spec and speed wise it blows pretty much any android device, alot that cost more than the Ouya
to get the MELE F10 PRO to work with OUYA/XBMC
you'll need to tweak stuff...
its not really plug and play...
My OUYA can not play most of my bluray rips. If you plan on playing large video files with HD audio, I wouldn't count on the OUYA to do it.
I found a bluetimes mx6 running android 4.2.2 says it has version of xbmc that supports hardware acceleration and runs 1080p movies smoothly. Costs only $76.50 on ebay. Does anyone have any expierience with this set top box. I'm tempted to try this out -- just looks to good to be true but for the price.... I bought an xbox midnight mx2 ... boy was that a mistake. got it running finaly but with the ethernet to wifi adapter bettter poweer supply and bluetooth to rca adapter cost was $200 and how long before it blows upHuh
Ouya is a good option or go for the Acer Revo RL80. I have the Acer Revo RL80 and bought it off ebuyer few weeks back as a refurb, to me looked brand new. Its a fast machine, and I'd rather have windows on it as well. I will be trying the XBMC liver version on it soon as 1080p mkv files play well but I can notice a slight jitter in the playback, not sure if its drivers or codecs. Will try again with Video memory set to 128mb in BIOS.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=152886&page=3

See this post to see how to install Windows 8 on it as I had problems installing it on the machine.
(2013-08-26, 15:54)frequencybebop Wrote: My OUYA can not play most of my bluray rips. If you plan on playing large video files with HD audio, I wouldn't count on the OUYA to do it.

Look at the OP's first post. He wanted originally to spend £60. I dont think he wants to play demanding files, Ouya is the best for slightly more than £60, you can't beat an Ouya at the £100 price range?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for a Box to run XBMC0