TXT and NFO (plain TEXT) reader/editor
can we get .nfo support?

make this an actual 'feature suggestion'?
this would also be nice for 'my pictures" in order to contain a picture caption. i.e. when view foo.jpg if foo.txt exists, display it.
--jaga
--jaga
if it doesn't add much, i don't see why there should be objections to having this in. not that i think reading txt files will be easy on a tv Wink
i think jaga was thinking more of a "subtitle" like appearance above/below a picture

thats what i recommend anyhowz

|-----|
|jpg |
|-----|
text

Smile
silentyl,
yes, that's what i was saying. subtitles for pictures = captions, and it's a nice feature to have in a home media center.
--jaga
maybe off-topic. but unleashx support this. so if any dev is interested in trying it, will maybe get some help from the author of unleash. Smile
would'nt it be a really simple project to implement a text viewer of some kind in xbmc? just to view simple text files... as far as i know there are'nt any good ways to view any kinds of text documents on the xbox soo this would be rather interesting =)

it would also be interesting with ways to view word documents, pdf etc etc... but i guess that would be a later project in that case Smile

/saikano
is it possible to view an .nfo file in xbmc?

or should this be passed on to "feature suggestions"?

- buzzz
(buzzzlight @ april 28 2004,12:49 Wrote:is it possible to view an .nfo file in xbmc? or should this be passed on to "feature suggestions"?
feature suggestions, and already requested before so merged into exising topic thread
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(saikano @ april 23 2004,16:55 Wrote:it would also be interesting with ways to view word documents, pdf etc etc... but i guess that would be a later project in that case
pdf reader has already been requested, see this thread (link). please keep each thread to one topic/subject only, see faq!
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
i don't know if it is possible but i like to display windows text files (.txt) on my television via the xbox. is there an option in xbmc to do this?

regards,

marc
no, its not possible as of yet.
moving to the feature suggestions. Smile
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
yes please - i would really like to be able to read
text files such as nfo, txt, log etc .

don't think reading it would be problematic either.
just use a fixed font to make sure the special formatting of nfo files will work..

text on xbox works just fine as xbmcmail shows..
i have a notepad script in development that will allow not only reading but also editing of text files (or...text-like files--so .nfo and .py and anything of the sort will be readable).

of course, docs and pdfs are a lot tougher, but even that could be doable (although you'd lose all your formatting).

check my website for the beta version of notepad if you're interested in helping me with bug reports and whatnot, but don't use it on any text files you're fond of yet! at the moment it erases the contents completely whenever you try to save....

ahem. i'll get that fixed as soon as possible. :-)
For scripts, script development tools, and documentation, visit my website:
http://www.maskedfox.com/xbmc/
the only thing i need on my xbox to make it one seriously awesome home media center is a simple text editor to edit my xbmc xml and doc files! i am limited on networking and unable to ftp into my box on the fly so modifications to the box are tedious in that i have to edit the files on my pc, use xiso to create a xbox readable disk, burn the disk (i only have cd-r available so this can get costly) take it to the xbox and "install" the new files, then reboot and pray it works! (:veryangry: and last time i did this, it didn't *see "display callibration... string) with a text editor on the xbox itself i can skip all this and just edit the files on the fly...

:idea: how hard would it be to create a simple ascii text editor to interface with xbmc?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TXT and NFO (plain TEXT) reader/editor0