TXT and NFO (plain TEXT) reader/editor
(iconyx @ sep. 13 2004,17:00 Wrote:the only thing i need on my xbox to make it one seriously awesome home media center is a simple text editor to edit my xbmc xml and doc files! i am limited on networking and unable to ftp into my box on the fly so modifications to the box are tedious in that i have to edit the files on my pc, use xiso to create a xbox readable disk, burn the disk (i only have cd-r available so this can get costly) take it to the xbox and "install" the new files, then reboot and pray it works! (:veryangry: and last time i did this, it didn't *see "display callibration... string) with a text editor on the xbox itself i can skip all this and just edit the files on the fly...

:idea: how hard would it be to create a simple ascii text editor to interface with xbmc?
1. you are to cheap to buy a cd-rw? Huh
2. try unleashx... it has a build in texteditor.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
this may be off topic but i'm currently working on something similar to what silentyl described.

[jpg]
-caption-

except i went a bit further and used html instead of text. using the htmlutil class i'm hoping this feature will be extended and improve as improvements are added to that class. using html will allow a bit of formating.
find and download xpad. it is an old utility, but it has both gamepad and usb keyboard support. the font size looks nice on even a normal tv (mine is hdtv). at least this way you have an option other than running unleashx.
Thumbs Up 
hi there!

i'm new within the xbox scene but i'm at that point that i know how to use xbmc and i want to thank all developers of this fuckin' nice program...

but also, i have an suggestion or a question.

i have some nfo's and txt files on my pc and i'm connecting via samba to my pc to view some videos. i've made txt and nfo files with the plot and the rating of "[url]www.kino.de"[/url]..

the problem is, i want to show these nfos within the xbmc in the "my videos" section but xbmc doesn't do it, if i press the a-button xbmc makes a imdb request, normally..

so my question is very simple, is it possible to show these files by pressing the a-button (for example) as text so you can just read it and then close it, i think this were a wonderful feature.

perhaps this can be a feature by adding a python script to the xbmc but i didn't found a script for this problem yet.

perhaps one of you guys can help me, it's so little.. i just want to view nfo/txt files.. it's a simple text-viewer

(and in this position, sorry for my bad english, but my english teacher is to unable to teach me the english language :p)

greets

volvox
not possible.
that would require a builtin textviewer and xbmc doesnt have that. there are some scripts (python) that try to remedy this situation, but i dont know how well this approach works.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

this script doesn't fit to that what i'm looking for... is there a plan to build in a feature like that?

i miss it hard ://

that would make the xbmc perfect in my opinion ...
i wondered if it ist possible to code a build-in text viewer which has the ability to display the ascii chars as meant by the artist...would be a nice feature! :thumbsup:
first off, since i'm a new member, i would like to say that you all have done a fantastic job for xbmc.. you've made the xbox more than just a gaming machine.. its incredible! best wishes to all of you guys out there that spend your time trying to improve what already is out of this world!

this is just a suggestion. i'm sure its been said before, but i think it would be neat putting random ideas down or something else that might cross your mind before you get off your butt and get a pen and paper. Smile :kickass:
Sad 
:idea: how about an nfo reader ?

isn't it pretty simple to implement? or maybe i'm the the only one who cares?

if anyone else cares enough it should use the ms-dos character set so files are displayed correctly with ascii art and all Cool
_

edit:
searched for "nfo reader" in "all open forums" (from the beginning) and this thread did not turn up among the 10 pages available! anyway it is possible to find when searching in the "feature suggestions" sub category, sorry for missing it.
a viewer option for txt, html, xml, doc should be a nice and powerfull feature. in that case you can add your info/lists files (films, music, etc) to be viewed.

i read somewhere that there are scripts for this task. can anyone recommend me one?

thanks,

marc
a text editor with a search add-on would be awesome, just incase if i go on vacation again, i don't want to bring my pc just to view some text files. as of now, there aren't any apps that have a search add-on, please consider on making one. it would be totally awesome  :d
there's a python script notepad that will let u view/edit text but not search yet.
im tired of ppl bringing up that stupid script........that script is uuter garbage its not worth mentioning.....it will never be a substitute for actually implementation.

i hope this gets implemented. combine this with the new ftp client then i can finally consider xbmc for my dash.
i don't think an editor is really needed, but a nfo viewer would be great imo.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(incognegro @ july 18 2005,15:05 Wrote:im tired of ppl bringing up that stupid script........that script is uuter garbage its not worth mentioning.....it will never be a substitute for actually implementation.

i hope this gets implemented. combine this with the new ftp client then i can finally consider xbmc for my dash.
the notepad script works great for me - i dont see why any more that that is necessary -jmho
xbox 1.2 - xecuter 2.3b lite - xir remote - 80mm mod - 120g maxtor 8mb cache - samsung dvd & networked xbmc - harmony 680 remote

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TXT and NFO (plain TEXT) reader/editor0