Case suggestions for slimline hifi width ?
Question 
I'd like a case to fit in with my hifi stack, so around 40-44cm wide. But I don't want a hulking great thing - ideally the height should be 8cm or less. I'd also like to use a dual slot PCIe card like this ZOTAC GeForce Gt 640 Zone Edition which makes things tricky. The best solution I've been able to find so far is the Silverstone LaScala LC19 which can take a standard height PCIe card and looks as if it probably has the space underneath to accomodate a dual slot card. It would definitely require some case mods to get the Zotac card to fit.

Can anybody recommend any other cases that might be suitable ?

Also, all the slimline cases seem to mount the PCIe cards horizontally with the edge connector on the left (looking at the back of the case). This means that the Zotac card would have the heatsink mounted on the bottom rather than the top. Does anybody else think this would cause heat dissipation problems ? I'd be happier with the card mounted the other way up but I haven't seen any cases like that ever.
That GT 640 is a two slot card. The only angle riser you could use in that case would be a one height 90 degree, so your card may not fit because the heatsink takes up two slots and will interfere with the motherboard (and the 2nd half of the bracket will be blocked).

I just posted up my build of the Silverstone ML04. It's at 105mm height but it can fit low-profile cards. I currently have a GT 520 in mine with a low profile bracket installed.

You could get a low profile GT 640, and use that in either the LC19 or ML04. Or you could get the regular Zotec GT 640 and use that in the LC19.

edit: Here is a pic of an assembled LC19 so you can kind of see what I am talking about

The ML04 is a possible option but is a bit high at 10.5cm - if I can't find anything slimmer I may well come back and reconsider it. I really want a passively cooled box with no fan noise so was hoping to use the MSI LGA1023 motherboard with a nano-PSU and the passively cooled version of the Zotac GT 640 fitted horizontally using a flexible riser cable.

If I went with the LC19 case I was assuming that I would have to remove the metal bracket from the Zotac card and probably extend the opening at the back of the case to allow the card to be moved down a bit. I'm not sure if there is physically space even with those sort of mods. I think the Zotac card is probably 3.0-3.5cm wide so it will be a pretty close fit if it is possible.

Hence why I was looking to see if anybody had any other case suggestions...
Streacom FC5 series are only 60mm in height and can take a full height card with a flexible riser.

Sample build

Wesena E4 is 70mm in height and can take a full height card with a flexible riser.
Thanks for the suggestions. I was aware of the Streacom FC5 (and in a similar vein, the H5 from HDPlex), both of which are nice cases but a little on the pricey side, especially if you don't need the heat pipes they use for passive cooling.

The Wesena E4 is a fine looking case and one I haven't heard of before. It doesn't seem to be easily available in the UK as far as I can see so I think I'm still looking at one of the Silverstone cases at the moment.

Interestingly, I did come across an old case from 2007 whilst googling:

GMC AVC-S7

which is the first one I've seen where the PCI-e card is mounted component side up. Not sure if they still make that case but again I can't find it for sale in the UK.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Case suggestions for slimline hifi width ?0