Linux [RPi] Issues with channel/EPG setup
I've just tried setting up tvheadend on OpenElec (rbej's build) but it seems unusable at the moment I'm afraid, due to the following.

1. It doesn't seem to support scanning and so on once on a dual-tuner USB and copying everything to the second tuner. The Muxes sure but then services I had to go through and untick any unwanted services separately for each tuner and then the services have to be mapped to channels separately for each tuner as well.

2. Those unticked services/channels are still showing up in XBMC's EPG and channel list, which they shouldn't if I've disabled them. I tried deleting all the channels and then just selecting the ones I wanted from Services and mapping those, which has added them to Channel/EPG but none of them have channel numbers or tags.

3. There's no way to quickly re-arrange the channels into the order I'd like. In fact, there's no way at all through the Web GUI and through XBMC it's terribly slow and awkward. Maybe there's a text file somewhere I could do it with but I haven't found one and even if there is, that would hardly be user-friendly.

4. I also tried disabling channels from XBMC (the same ones that I'd already disabled in Services and so which shouldn't be showing) but despite trying Apply and OK, they were re-enabled when I went back into Channel Manager.
Hey there I've recently been setting up my tvheadend and can help you here.

2. when your in your services list (in dvb input), what tells the program to add it to the channel list is when you add a name in the channel name field, the way I have found to sort the channels is that if the channels have the right name just select them (in small groups that you can see on screen helps) by highlighting them and clicking the map selected button on the top, only the ones you have chose will move across and add the channel name in. If the name is wrong then just manually type it in the channel name field and it will move the channel to the list for you.

3. the only way to set them up in an order is to number the channels in Tvheadend the way you want them (don't forget to reset the EPG in XBMC to update the list). you can also add categories to them to allow you to look through shortened lists on XBMC.

4. The Enabled button in the Services list seems to do nothing when I've been setting my channels up so I've been ignoring it and just using the Channel name field. if the channel appears when it shouldn't just go into the Channel list (in channels/EPG) and select the channel and click the delete button on the top and it will be removed and the channel name on the services list will be removed stopping it from reappearing.

1. This is something Tvheadend does lack (the ability to merge tuner lists to save time) but once you set it up you shouldn't need to do it again. as with most pc based TV systems this is the part that takes the longest, until and unless a automated function is added to do this you'll just need to perceiver through with this and do it by hand, but like I said you should only need to do it once.

I hope this helps.
(Gary The Brown.)
Hey DJ FREAKwenC

Thanks for the tips. They should help a lot so I'll have another trying and setting this up using them.

Regarding the tags, as I say when manually mapping services to channels it doesn't seem to add them and it's not possible to multi-select channels and add tags and it would obviously be tedious having to go through each channel and tag it TV or Radio. Does XBMC use these tags to decide whether to show a channel in the TV or Radio EPG, as if not I won't worry about them but if so I'll have to do them to keep the radio channels out of the TV EPG?
Some pointers:

2. When you remove a channel from tvheadend's channel list it also disappears from XBMC. It's not enough to untick the service.

3. Use the channel number column in tvheadend's channels tab.

Generally I think it's best to check the "Use backend channel order" in XBMC, that way all channel management is done on the backend, which simplifies things a bit.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RPi] Issues with channel/EPG setup0