will OpenGL 2.0 be enough to run xbmc under arm linux with hardware decoding?
according to wiki;

lima linux drivers for mali 200 and mali 400 gfx soc

"..............On January 21, 2012, Phoronix reported that Luc Verhaegen is driving a reverse-engineering attempt aimed at the Mali series of GPUs, specifically the Mali 200 and Mali 400 versions. The project will be known as Lima and support OpenGL ES 2.0....."

due to xbmc running under android 4.2 being not 100% stable on my testing mk802iv stick, im considering flashing to linux, in the hope of running xbmc in a more stable environment. But unfortunately, there is a post on the dev forum who drive the linux port for mk802 socs, stating that if the quad core cpu reaches 25% or greater usage on all 4 cores, then video will start to tear until usage drops.

i understand this is due to cpu handling the video decoding, however this "lima" sounds like it may be able to gpu offload in some way??

any thoughts/suggestions for a linux virtual noob?

thx in advance,
Dam0
1) CPU = Central Process Unit
2) GPU = Graphical Process Unit
3) VPU = Video Process Unit

GPU is for the GUI of XBMC and already accelerated in many user cases on Mali.

Video is done by VPU and, well... Read the Allwinner A10 thread.
His point is OpenGLES has zero to do with hardware video decoding. XBMC's needs OpenGLES to render the GUI elements. No OpenGLES 2.0, then no XBMC. Reverse-engineering the existing Mali userland libs will not help you with hardware video decoding.
ok thx.

i understand now

D.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
will OpenGL 2.0 be enough to run xbmc under arm linux with hardware decoding?0