The Ultimate HTPC
Hello Guys,
I know you probably get this kind of post a lot, but I really could use your help.
I am looking into building a HTPC That would at least meet the following requirements (Money is not an issue here)

- Powerful yet quiet (I am thinking I3 with an aftermarket cooler)
- 3D, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD capable
- Fully Functional remote control with power on/off capability (not interested in a keyboard)

All that I am simply asking is, if any of you guys were to redo their existing HTPC or start from scratch a new one, and money was not a concern, what would your build look like.

Thanks
Get a streacom Case with a passive cooler, get their IR bundle.
Choose a (probably) haswell board with a powered USB and a low TDP haswell (45W).
Add an additional SSD / pico psu and fine.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
ASRock has some mainboards out there that come with a remote, and if it's installed correctly you should be able to power up your system via remote.

I run an ivy-bridge celeron with the stock cooler, absolutely silent.
Haswell i3 NUC when they come out in a couple weeks.

Does all that you require only unconfirmed part is whether IR can switch it on from powered off. But a simple simerec fix will sort that.

Fanless cases for it too.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

depending on if u want to build yourself or prebuilt

any of the Silverstone cases look great , SST-GD07B USB 3.0 ,GD05B USB 3.0 or a Fractal Design Node 605 , any of these are nice cases

look into psu from seasonic or antec etc for low wattage psu(300-400)

mobo and cpu asrock and a new haswell i3(when released) and a Scythe Shuriken cpu cooler

and just need a 60 gig SSD and u pretty much set then.

buying quality case fans and u wont have much a of a problem with fan noise(can always reduce their speed if needed) but with a basic set up u not gonna get much heat anyway so prolly can get away without any fans
These are some excellent ideas gentlemen, I really appreciate it. Richard39, I am looking to build one myself

it looks like newegg already has haswell I3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819116944 what do you guys think of this CPU? I kindda like the Intel HD Graphics 4600 that it comes with.

now the motherboard, it seems that asrock is a good option since I can buy the IR receiver and hook that up to the CIR plug of their board, is that still the best option?

As for the case, I guess it would be best to go with a case that can accommodate fans and run some good/quality silent fans (under-volted for sure) since temperature here get pretty high in summer, what do you guys think?

I will definitely go with an SSD.

thanks
yes the haswell i3 will be great and will do everything needed plus 3D as well if needed in future etc

yer everything else u mentioned is good and these cases suggested are big enuff to fit quality 120mm fans to keep temp down in summer but don't think u'll get that much heat from it, ofc the ambient temp of the room in summer will push temps up alittle so some fans is good
Careful with motherboard selection for Haswell with CIR. I made the mistake on this one after I misread something on a website.

Asrock don't have any haswell motherboards with CIR! Smile
I was reading the intel haswell NUC with i5 might be available in october. That would probably have IR sensor built in. That would be sweet if it can work with any IR remote.
i3 has it well bud. I said above. Smile
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

im not up to date on mobo specially with CIR so will have to do abit of research on that but asrock a good brand regardless , another option could be if yer got decent TV with CEC-HDMI could be to get 1 of the devices from pulse 8 and then use your TV remote , no clue on how the internal 1 plugs in but the external 1 is easy enuff to plug in and get up and running.

overall though your better building one as suggested over a nuc that will prolly only run as cool as the ambient temp of your room in hot weather
If you do get a Streacom passive case, watch the motherboard compatibility. It seems the Haswell boards aren't compatible. I don't think you need a passive case though.
(2013-09-02, 08:19)jammyb Wrote: i3 has it well bud. I said above. Smile

Does anyone know how the CIR shows up as. Is it RC6 or some other protocol.
CPU: i3-4340 Intel HD 4600 TDP 54W
MoBo: Gigabyte H87N-WIFI (Dual HDMI 1.4, dual LAN, Intel WiFi/WIDI)
RAM: 8 GB 1600Mhz
SSD: 120GB
Fanless Case: HDplex H3.S, but I would wait for the HDplex H1
Cube Case: Cooltek Coolcube Mini + Corsair PSU

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The Ultimate HTPC0